What is the min skill needed to cast spell 100%?

taken from Thread :- What is the min skill needed to cast spell 100%? UO UHall

###########################

Comment

Im specifically interested in chiv skills. So, for example divine fury takes 25 skill to cast, but what skill is needed to cast it with 100% success.

Is it the same for caster spells as well? Just wondering if there is some general formula.

############################

http://boards.stratics.com/php-bin/uo/showflat.php?Cat=3&Number=3651023&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Scroll down a few posts for the information you seek..

Wilki UO Designer

Most spells and abilities in UO have a "focus" of 50 skill. That means that the window between 0 and 100% chance to succeed is 50 skill points wide.

Some of the old skills use the value of 40.

It is actually 40 points from the minimum skill. For example, 8th circle magery minimum is 80 and 100% is at 120. Same applies for Spellweaving, Chivalry, and Necromancy spells.

Wilki UO Designer

Magery is an exception. You could be right on the others as well, as they use the old magery code. However, most skill checks use the default of 50. I'm pretty sure Spellweaving is 50 as well.

Did I ever mention we'd like to unify that system to make it consistent? :-P

Edit: Checking the code, it seems Chivalry is 50, but Necro is 40.

Does that mean if I have 100 magery , I would have a 50% chance of casting earthquake or the higher level spells (120 magery would 60%?)..Sorry if mis read long day at the office..

Nice to see Wilki join us , finish elder scrolls yet?..Dont you guys/gals at UO, ever sleep or have a day off??

##########################

And bushido is ? As long as you have your nose in the code *laugh*

I remember when I used to run a MUD back in the 90s. The players were always asking me to check the code for this or that. Your edit made me laugh. Made my Saturday *hehe*

Wilki UO Designer

Nope, still playing Oblivion off and on. I've been messing around with mods, and never seem to get past level 20 haha I was trying Europa Universalis today, in between doing a little work and giving the dog a bath. It's been raining all day, so it's a good day to stay inside. Besides, playing around with the UO code is hardly "work" :-P

So, what that means is:

Difficulty = the point where you have 50% to succeed

Focus = How wide the "window" is between 0-100%, centered on the difficulty value

8th circle spells have a difficulty of 100, and magery uses a focus of 40. So, the 0-100% focus window is centered on 100 skill.

- At 80 skill, you have 0% chance

- At 100 skill you have 50% chance

- At 120 skill you have 100% chance

If the focus value was 50, that would change to 75-125 skill. A focus value of 20 would be 90-110 skill.

Hope that makes more sense!

Wilki UO Designer

Ok, here's the definitive list:

40:

Magery

Necromancy

50:

Chivalry

Ninjitsu

Bushido

Spellweaving

The latter three use the same base spell functionality, which Speedman derived partially from Chivalry. Any new spell systems that we might add in the future would use that functionality, and probably have a focus of 50 (though, you can specify a different focus for each spell if you want, but that wasn't done for any of the existing spells).

I'm going to guess that Necromancy was developed first, as it used the very, very old magery functionality.

If that is the case why is there a seemingly 100% success rate for the Spellweaving spell Word of Death at 120 skill, when the minimum skill to cast is 80?

Wilki UO Designer

So, this is interesting, and something I forgot about when answering earlier. The newer skills behave a bit differently than magery. (Ninjitsu, Bushido, Spellweaving)

Hang on, cause this is bound to be confusing.

The minimum requirement to cast word of death is 80, but that doesn't mean the difficulty is 105. The value that the new spell system feeds into the skill check as the difficulty value is the minimum requirement + 12.5 skill. That means to have a 50% chance to cast word of death, you need 92.5 skill in spellweaving. That also means the 100% success rate is reached at 92.5 + 25, or 117.5 skill.

That also means that at 80 skill, you have a 25% chance to cast, which is the lowest you can make the attempt.

Well thanks for clearing all that up. It is difficult to know this stuff anymore because there are few people who do that kind of research anymore into the inner workings of UO formulas.

I would expect it's a flat +12.5 skill. The level of focus doesn't affect your chance to cast the spell, it only affects the outcome of the spell once cast.

It's actually.... (focus * 5) / 20

But since focus is always 50 for those spell systems, it's always 12.5.

Meh, spell systems, focus schmocus, I dont' care what they are supposed to say. All I know is if I'm not at nearing 30 skill points higher than the lowest requirement, I'm failing too much.

Good info though, thanks for sharing.