EXCLUSIVE: BROADSWORD ON THE STATE OF ULTIMA ONLINE AND DARK AGE OF CAMELOT

Quite welcomed. I found it to be an interesting, and somewhat disturbing, interview.

I have received no response to my question on if the expansion was going to be free since they referred to it as a "Gift" for the 18th anniversary.

Taken from the interview:

Where do you see the studio and its games five years from now?

[No response was given for this question.]

A canned response could have been given. Something vague even like "Looking forward to creating more expansions and working with our playerbase". Anything that would give a clue to "We're going to be here in five years" instead of no answer.  The no response is a bit troublesome and I'm not the only one making that comment.

Quite welcomed. I found it to be an interesting, and somewhat disturbing, interview.

I have received no response to my question on if the expansion was going to be free since they referred to it as a "Gift" for the 18th anniversary.

Not arguing, just trying to piece it together. The expansion isn't the gift.

>>our gift to the players this year will be new land to adventure, Eodon.

Just the land. Kinda like Ish I'm guessing (An expansion that is accessible to all). I'm thinking, and could totally be wrong, but new items (like the other expansions require) will need the expansion. Just a thought, one can only speculate from that.

I also share your feelings about the 5 year question lack of comment. I want to hope for the best and think "Well, maybe they might go free to play"? (Hey,. one can wish) and they didn't want to say anything.

Actually, probably more of a CYA (Cover your ass) move so it doesn't come back to bite you later. As a fellow MMO game developer, you never want to promise stuff, and then fail to produce those results.

Unfortunately, another part of me thinks "Yea, EA Passing this off to Broadsword was just an evil EA plan to say 'Hey, we didn't kill the games/studio, we gave them a chance!" if/when the game folds. Gosh, I really really hope I'm wrong.

Interesting, nothing said about the complex billing system they said previously that they were working on. That would have been a good point to make for attracting new players, IMHO. If I didn't have so much invested in the game, when they switched to the new system, I found it so frustrating I almost just said screw this, and give up.

• Like 1

I'm kind of beyond being disturbed by anything the people at EA/Mythic/Broadsword do/don't do anymore.  Our last savior turned out to be relatively scummy, and ruined (IMO) the reputations of a couple of other sites dedicated to UO and Ultima.  There is nobody on the current staff, regardless of which banner was flying over the door, that bothered to pay any real attention to the fansites that didn't have a name that won't be mentioned.   And, of course, those devs that DID make the effort to be a part of the wider community were all somehow pushed out.  Oh, I'm sure that closing a studio that was doing well was just incidental, and offering people the chance to move to NoVa from across country for a product that may be dead inside of a year just sounds like a wonderful thing to me (for the record, Northern Va is incredibly expensive when compared to Austin (or anywhere else) TX, and it's even more expensive than most of Ca.)

I'm trying to decide if I find it surprising that they're busy gabbing over at one of the trade sites, answering questions, when they (they being the current producer of UO) refuse to answer interview questions, answer e-mails, etc, from the fan sites and those that want to be official fan sites.  Some days I wonder how much value we get having that official fan site notation.  A person would think it would at least be good for an interview every couple of years.  It's coming up on 3 years, and we've been trying for at least the last 2 to get a new interview with the (ahem) new producer.

Overheard while volunteering at Habitat for Humanity the other day - professionalism overrides any excuse.  Think it fits.  Like a glove.

Guess I did not read much into that.  After having played EQ for 15 years as well, that happened all the time in interviews with SOE and now Daybreak.  Just covering themselves.

Smedley was, and still is, a LOT more accessible, and he's also been a LOT more communicative over the years.  Orders of magnitude more.  Yeah, he's a ******, but he's honest about it.

• Like 1

Taken from the interview:

Where do you see the studio and its games five years from now?

[No response was given for this question.]

A canned response could have been given. Something vague even like "Looking forward to creating more expansions and working with our playerbase". Anything that would give a clue to "We're going to be here in five years" instead of no answer.  The no response is a bit troublesome and I'm not the only one making that comment.

The team have always refused to answer a couple of questions from any list submitted. Difference here is mostly if a question wasn't answered it was removed from the list.  They never commit to long term answers, too many people take vague plans as promises and carp if they don't happen.

• 4 weeks later...

Not arguing, just trying to piece it together. The expansion isn't the gift.

>>our gift to the players this year will be new land to adventure, Eodon.

Just the land. Kinda like Ish I'm guessing (An expansion that is accessible to all). I'm thinking, and could totally be wrong, but new items (like the other expansions require) will need the expansion. Just a thought, one can only speculate from that.

Woo-Hoo! I was WRONG!

18th Anniversary Limited Time Offer To help us celebrate our 18th Anniversary we would like to announce that if you have a current subscription, reactivate your account, or start a new account in August, September, or October, your account will have the Time of Legends expansion applied automatically.  A gift from us to you!

Happy Birthday UO!

Edit: http://us9.campaign-archive2.com/?u=17d7bd79de495239fca33bcf5&id=c5d4e50900&e=97e1c6fa05

• Like 1