I've spent years looking for a game like this, I didn't know this was still around.

I heard so many wonderful stories about this game, and would constantly search "Games like Ultima Online". So far the closest thing I found is a game called The Repopulation, but I don't know, I guess I wanted the retro graphics. Finally today while searching for something related to the game, I found it is actually still alive and well. 

I started my free 14 day free trial, and based on what I saw in The Repopulation, this game is going to be over whelming in terms of content. Any advice for someone who has  never played this 17 year old game before lol?

I apologize if this is like the trillionth time this question has been posted. Just really wanted to see if it was as great as it sounds. (Killing someone and stealing their house? Yes please! Getting killed and having my house stolen? Yes please!)

Edit: Do I need to buy the game to play after my trial? Not sure if I'd be willing to spend money on the game and 8 expansions, I feel like an 18 year old game should ONLY have a subscription. 

1) Purchasing the game - yes and no.  What you download for the trial is yours, and is all but the last expansion and booster.  You will have to buy the Stygian Abyss and the High Sea's Booster.

2) You're 15 years too late for killing people and stealing their houses.  That died with the release of Renaissance.

3) Advice for playing?  Just play.  Find your groove, maybe find a guild, build your house, just play.

1) Purchasing the game - yes and no.  What you download for the trial is yours, and is all but the last expansion and booster.  You will have to buy the Stygian Abyss and the High Sea's Booster.

2) You're 15 years too late for killing people and stealing their houses.  That died with the release of Renaissance.

3) Advice for playing?  Just play.  Find your groove, maybe find a guild, build your house, just play.

Disappointing to hear about the PvP. Heard it in game as well. But people said a shard called Siege something still had it? Also that there's still PvP in Felucca?

I actually was really really enjoying the game and now I wish I didn't buy The Repopulation because I'd of used that money to upgrade my account. Oh well, I have 2 weeks to worry about that.

If you don't mind, I have one more question.. all the servers I tried playing on were all dead, with one being the exception that had Medium population and people were very quick to answer.. so I guess what I'm terribly getting at is, is this game on it's way out? I mean, it's been 17 or 18 years so it wouldn't be surprising and I know it's going to be hard to get into it as a new player (or I imagine it will be) so I don't want to waste the time ifit's going to be gone in a year or something.

Anywho, thanks for your response. From what I've seen on the game it seems to have a good community, probably based on the age if I had to guess. 

Without meaning to sound snarky, people have been saying UO was on the way out since 1999 or so, when Everquest launched.  It's still here, and has recently been taken over by a separate company (Broadsword), so I'm not personally ready to sound the death knells yet.  Is there a low population throughout the game?  Yes, there is.  The same holds true for pretty much any game that isn't WoW or Eve Online.

The Pacific and Atlantic shards are still fairly busy, and there always seems to be some people on Lake Superior, but if you're looking for hundreds or thousands of people at a time, I'm afraid those kinds of numbers disappeared many moons ago.

Atlantic is the busiest shard, I'm pretty sure.  Having said that, once you subscribe, hop in general chat of each shard.  I know all the regulars of Pacific pop in there to banter.  We're all doing our own things, often in our own houses or in whatever dungeon we happen to be hunting at, but we're still around.  Bank sitting in UO isn't what it once was!  hehe.  Also, I'm always creating new characters and training them up all the time, so I'm always around New Haven and there are returning players popping up quite frequently.  If PvP is your thing, create your own guild, recruit these old returning players, and go establish yourself at the Fel champ spawns.  Give your shard's PvP guilds a push or if they don't push back, you'll dominate the sale of power scrolls and make lots of money.  By the way, what shard do you play?

As a new player on a trial account you are restricted to the 'help' chat channel. On many shards the bulk of the players use the 'general'  channel, so the game will seem emptier to you than it really is. In addition the number of expansions there have been over the years means the land mass is massive. The population is well spread out over the various locations.

May I offer the link to my pages of playguides to help you find your way around what is not so much a game as an alternate reality?

http://ode.guild.com/uostuff/index.html