Coming Back after 10 years?

So I remember my account name ... and that's about it.

I had a bunch of high level characters.

I'm guessing they're all gone and the account was deleted though, right?

How difficult is it to start over? Do I have to buy the game and all the expansions again?

Does taming still take years to level?

High level characters - after 10 years, they're mediocre, at best.

Account deleted - 99.999999% not - I can't honestly recall anyone ever stating that EA/pick-a-partner ever deleted an account, or the characters associated with them.  Any house(s) will be gone, however.

Starting over is different.  Some things are easier, and others more difficult.  8x8 is gone, for example.

Taming still takes forever to level, but there's now jewelry to help make up the difference, as well as something called pinks, which are basically skill gains on 'paper'.

If you remember your account name, and call EA customer support, and connect with someone that isn't a complete and total moron, odds are good you may be able to retrieve your old accounts.

• Like 3

I played on Chesapeake.

Doesn't look like I'll be getting to play though. 

EA doesn't offer phone support for Ultima Online any more and the idiots at Broadsword Gaming aren't helpful.

All they've done so far is confirm my account still exists, but every piece of information I give them that should verify the account is mine, they refuse.

Now any time I e-mail them, I get this copy/pasted response.

Nothing more frustrating then bad customer service.

I'm beginning to suspect that some how, my account was compromised/hacked and the information on it was changed.

It is possible and I've heard of this before.  Don't be discouraged though.  For the most part, starting new isn't as bad as it once was and there are many more tools in-game these days which can help you get up and running quickly.  The pain-in-the-butt skills to train are still taming, provo, peacing, and discord, but there are even training suggestions for those which can help you focus on working those skills to max.  First, put all your starting skills into them.  So if you were making a tamer, start with 50 taming and 50 lore.  The rest of the points you could put in something else which might assist, like magery which will help you recall around.  Once in-game, lock all your skills except taming and lore.  The idea is the fewer total skill points you have in total, the faster the gains so you maximize this and make sure all your gains go to taming. The other suggestion I got was to never let animal lore run more than 10 points higher than taming.  So when your lore gets 10 above your taming, lock it.  This is Capricorn of Pacific's tamer training method and he's powered through a bunch of tamers in the last year or two.  Oh and if you should play Pacific, let me know and I'll do what I can to help with equipment.

• Like 1

One other thing that should be mentioned is with the delegation of UO's development to Broadsword, we don't really know how the responsibilities are divvied up.  Does Broadsword just focus on the programming aspect and leave all the customer service to EA?  That was the sense I got so they might not be the ones to deal with account issues.  After all, EA holds the purse strings and accounts are on the money side of it.

• Like 1

Well when you try and get customer support for Ultima Online, EA's website directs you to email uo@support.com (And this the only option available) or some such thing like that, and I know it's broadsword folks responding back to me, because they put their company signature in the e-mail response.

I guess if I really want to play again, then I'll have to buy a new account and start all over. What ever, when I started this little quest, that is what I originally intended on doing in the first place. I just got so freakin excited at the idea of reclaiming my old account. R.I.P. 113 taming, 120 magery, 120 eval, 120 med, 120 lore, 88 resist all. I was searching around to see if I could try and find my original Ultima Online Boxes, CD's and CD Keys. I didn't find them, but I did find my original Cloth map and it made it cry. ;_;

Any ways ...Being that you've so generously offered, and I have literally no friends or contacts from Chesapeake left that I still talk to, I guess I'll restart on pacific.

It's so funny that you mention provo being a pain to level. I remember leveling provo to like 85 in a couple of days and then making like 2 million gold killing dragons in destard non stop with it in like 3 days. This was like 15 years ago when the game was brand new.

I was like "This is so easy it's boring" and I dropped provo XD

Free trial started, and client downloading.

• Like 1

I'm stuck working tonight, but I'll look for you tomorrow.  What's your character name and what type of template are you creating?  That will get me started on an initial training suit.  Mind you, the stuff I usually provide is strictly starter.  I typically find if I give new or returning players too much too fast, they get bored like you did with provo.  And by the way, provoking is difficulty based now so you'll have a harder time with it than you did five years ago.  :D

Character name is Muezick.

I wound up speaking to somebody in game on Pacific,and they mentioned somebody named Mesana at Broadsword who is doing a lot of helping with getting more difficult issues sorted out, you wouldn't happen to know anything about that? They told me to post on the stratics forums about it. Apparently she has an e-mail at broadsword you can contact her through.

I am probably going to go with Taming, Lore, Vet, Magery, Med, Eval Int and resist spells I suppose. I am not sure how expensive reagents are these days but I remember thing being one key detriment to being a mage back when I played. Thinking of buying one of those advanced character boosts, 90 in five skills, so at the very least, I can tame some drakes and earn some quick cash on elder gazers or something.

Incidentally, The time I leveled provo and earned a truckload of money with it was over ten years ago XD

As far as "Hand outs" go? I'm not looking for anything, so I have no expectations, I'll take what you give me of course, but anything you chose to give me, is up to you! Starting fresh will mean literally almost anything will be worth having.

Going to miss my ethereal steed a lot I suspect =|

You may be able to get a charger on site and use that - it's the same as a ethereal steed, but doesnt require a year to use it.   Also I think all vet reward mounts are now usable by any age account, but I may be wrong.

Which site do you mean, Kay?

I saw some in game for sale on vendors around Luna for like 8 million gold.

Gonna probably be awhile before I can afford that.

I guess not having an ethereal mount will be alright, I mean I played without one for a long time, and if I start with 90 taming, it probably wont be VERY long before I have 95.1 and can tame Nightmares. I used to LOVE taming them and selling them. Probably not much business for that any more, but poking around the old spots is going to at least feel nostalgic.

You can purchase a Legacy Token for $9.99

https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/buy/ultima-online/pc-download/addon/ultima-online-legacy-token-code?details

The Ultima Online Legacy Token Code opens up a whole treasure trove of legendary premium items: the Green Soulstone, the Hooded Shroud of Shadows, the Charge of the Fallen, and many others long lost to the world of Ultima. Seize the power of ancient legends and turn your character into a force to be reckoned with. Get the Ultima Online Legacy Token Code today.

I believe you can only pick one though.

• 2 months later...

It's incredibly hard coming back to this game.  I never stopped paying for it, but just didn't have the time to continue and became out of touch.

I've got 2 accounts that were started back in the 90's, one mine and one I bought.  All full of characters with "wtf" skill sets today.  Actually, it's harder than ever to determine what skills are worth anything to peruse at this point. 

Main Char:

Fencing: 100

Focus:  100

Tactics: 100

Eval Intelligence: 100

Magery: 110

Meditation 105

Resist:  75

I used to light up Lich Lords back in 2000 with a sweet ebolt/flame strike combo and run in with my kris GM made sword.  At this point, I can hardly hold my own against a friggin deer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, i used to play ultima online back in middle school and high school and now that i am working, married, i sort of want to come back to this game and give it a try one more time. 

Sorry i used this post, but i thought instead of creating a new post, i could just use this one. 

I am probably not even going to try to retrieve my account. I don't even remember my login username, but just my in game character name. 

My question is what is the most populated shard i should start on now? I really don't want to be alone in a shard and just wondering around myself.

thanks!

-JJ Zhang

Hi guys, i used to play ultima online back in middle school and high school and now that i am working, married, i sort of want to come back to this game and give it a try one more time. 

Sorry i used this post, but i thought instead of creating a new post, i could just use this one. 

I am probably not even going to try to retrieve my account. I don't even remember my login username, but just my in game character name. 

My question is what is the most populated shard i should start on now? I really don't want to be alone in a shard and just wondering around myself.

thanks!

-JJ Zhang

Atlantic and Pacific seem to be the 2 most populated these days.

You can transfer them, but it isn't cheap, and unless you have billions in gold or rares, it's probably not worth it.  It's far easier to skill up these days than it was in the past, and you'll find that any 'fully developed' characters from days gone by are going to be painfully inadequate now.  You may want to check out how busy Baja is (or isn't) these days.  You may find there's a decent enough population.

Sorry I've been out of the country for a few weeks.

It really depends on what you are looking for.

If you are looking for no hassle when doing spawns, you should probably stay on Baja. Hanging around the luna bank you'll eventually find a guild so that it is easy to find fellow players. Your chances of doing a champ spawn on Atlantic are 0.000001% because the top PvP guilds always have that stuff camped.

If you are looking for tons of people, the only answer is Atlantic. It is the only server that is even close to the population when you probably last played.

If you are looking for PvP, the choice would be between Great Lakes and Atlantic. Atlantic has way more open world felucca PvP going on than any other shard. That is a benefit of being the most populated server. Great Lakes probably has the most organized PvP with the weekly Late Night Fight Club tourney and the King's Cup Tournament Series, as well as an active RP-PvP community (if you enjoy RP).

If you are looking for RP, the choice would be Atlantic, Great Lakes, or Catskills. Atlantic has a good size rp community, but it can be hard to crack into as they are a little more heavy rp. Great Lakes has a good size community as well, is geared more towards medium rp as well as RP-PvP. Catskills has a small, but very active rp community, and they tend to get favorable treatment from the devs/EMs.

If you are looking for economy, the choice would be Atlantic, Great Lakes, or Pacific. Atlantic is central shopping center for people that have xfer shields, so you will always be able to find what you want on Atlantic, but expect to pay a small premium on that shard. It is also unfortunately home to all the gold dupers, so prices on Atlantic are inflated as well because of that. Great Lakes and Pacific are on par with each other, with much more manageable prices, but there will be times where it might be a day or two before the more specific rare items show up on vendors. This is due to Atlantic xfer players raiding Great Lakes and Pacific to buy low and then sell high on Atlantic.

If you are looking for EM (Seers) Events, Great Lakes is hands down the best server with EM Malachi and Elizabella. A lot of players have characters on GL just for the EM events. Atlantic has a good EM in EM Bennu, but he is one man whereas Great Lakes has two primo EMs.

My list of populations for North American servers:

1. Atlantic

2. Great Lakes

3. Pacific

4. Lake Superior

5. the rest

Mind you, to me and my experience, the difference between Atlantic and Great Lakes is huge, and then there is a wide gap between Great Lakes and Pacific. GL and Atlantic are the only two servers that get past "Low" on the server population column when you are clicking which shard to login to. The gap between Pacific and Lake Superior is pretty decent too. After that, the rest of the servers are empty/dead.

• Like 1