So, I watched the premiere edition, and came away with the following impression -

This show is going to annoy pretty much everyone - the young Earth crowd that's typical of Fox, the normal religious folks, and those that even semi-remotely take their science seriously.  I won't get into the details to avoid spoilers (or at least until there's some conversation), but I'm not sure if it's going to be a regular part of my viewing schedule.

Anyone else catch this?  Any differing opinion?  I know there are a few that think Neil deGrasse Tyson walks on... star stuff... but to me he just seemed very pompous...

Neil deGrasse Tyson is more of figure for a child to look up to then almost any sports figures today. His one of many in the science community that Im interested in. I'll probably wait for all of these shows to air then watch it on Netflix or a torrent. I wont watch anything on Fox if I can avoid it. I found it strange that it would be even be on that channel ha.

It's also on the National Geographic channel.  And my issue with the show wasn't so much the content (although he WAS pompous...) but was simply this - a show like Cosmos never was, and was never meant to be, science for 3rd graders.  He's very rapidly becoming David Pogue like, and I'm definitely not meaning that in any way that should be taken as flattering.

watched the new show, loved the original with Sagan when I was a child.   Tyson was he pompous? maybe a little.  Did I enjoy the show? yes, it only runs for the next 12 weeks not like its going to be a recurring series (unless I missed that somewhere).  And if it sparks childrens dreams of getting into the hard sciences?  I am all for that.  I know the original got me into reading more about space and exploring it, though I did not want to become a scientist, It still opened my mind to possibilites.

It's generational, I think - most of the older people I've seen that have commented on things have said they prefer the original Sagan version, and that Tyson is a bit full of himself.  Most of the younger people have said the exact opposite.

It's good that he's getting the message out - that he's doing it under the auspices of a company not known for it's pushing of a science agenda is awesome.  He (and the writers) just need to temper the message a little more carefully - there were parts of the program could have been easily taken as offensive by certain people - people that Fox management is better known to cater to.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I've changed my mind - in this case, it's not generational.  This version of Cosmos sucks.  Horribly.  In ways that cannot be described.  NTdG may garner hero worship from some, but he's gone from an already condescending Science for 3rd Graders PBS genius to a Mr. Rogers does cosmic level science, without being the loveable old guy, but more like Burns from The Simpsons... iow, creepy...

And seriously - CGI that would make the producers of Star Wars, Star Trek, and any modern SF film made in the last 10 years drool with envy, and they intersperse things with cartoons that look like they were done in a 1960's visual arts class - in elementary school?  Sagan wouldn't be cheering - he'd be rolling in his grave.

• 3 months later...

I'm still to see this show, however I can recommend "Wonders of the Universe" with Brian Cox. In my opinion they didn't overdo the CGI and kept it quite restricted, it was more about real demonstrations and theory than eye-candy. And I found that Brian Cox keeps a very humble approach to his dialogues.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1854226/

• Like 1