Returned to Britannia

Greetings all!

After an almost a seven year hiatus from the game, I felt the need to come back. I actually attempted last year, but wasn't able to find a way to access my accounts. However, this time around, everything seemed to work well once I understood that when linking the accounts, I had to add "_uo" to the end. I have a several from 97/98 (wished they maintained their activity due to some cool rewards out there now), though right now, I can't afford to activate them all and see what was left on them. But will attempt over time.

During my peak of play, I maintained seven of my eight accounts. Mostly for the housing. I played a bit on Atlantic until I met some friends and moved to Pacific with the guild AS$ (Ancient Scholars and Sages - named changed a bit over the years). And my main character was a member of the Britannian Order of Woodcrafters (BOW). In fact, I still have my guildstone for this on Legends (and the guildstone for AS$ on Pacific). In any case, when friends left the game and AOL Legends dropped the AOL requirement, I started a new home and there I stayed until I left the game (due to deployment to Europe and lag to the servers I played on).

I have come back and brought my son with me. He always heard me talk about the game, and so he jumped into my gate and set foot on Sosaria for the first time. We again call Legends home. Though I wish it had more activity than it does (which didn't help me find a castle plot yet - hopefully one day), I can't afford to pack up and transfer all I have to another server. So we have setup our home in Yew and looking forward to playing the game again.

My main is Phoenyx Ratmyr - a Bowyer first, and Archer second. I plan to relearn the art of being a bowyer and hopefully make a name for myself. Looking forward to meeting others and trying to get established again. Loss of my houses also included loss of some of my rares of the past. But not letting that taint my return.

In any case, I wanted to drop a note and let you know it feels good to come back home.

Thanks!

Charles aka Lord Phoenyx Ratmyr, Ancient Bowyer [bOW]

I appreciate the note and will most definitely ask any questions that I may have. Seems like this and Stratics are the two forums for me to be checking (since there doesn't appear to be a UO forums anymore). So I am making a listing of sites and adding to my ipad bookmarks for references (added your site as well - since I love decorating).

Just read up on recipes, so I guess this will be the first thing I will be acquainting myself with, as I do want to be a top notch bowyer. :)

I appreciate the note and will most definitely ask any questions that I may have. Seems like this and Stratics are the two forums for me to be checking (since there doesn't appear to be a UO forums anymore). So I am making a listing of sites and adding to my ipad bookmarks for references (added your site as well - since I love decorating).

Just read up on recipes, so I guess this will be the first thing I will be acquainting myself with, as I do want to be a top notch bowyer. :)

Not much to fletching these days. Mostly comes down to imbuing for bows. I've not had much luck with Runic Reforging but may be something youd like to give a shot.

Welcome back and have fun.

Guess I must have received a lot of the bowyer recipes, as I purchased some last night and when I tried to use them, it said I already knew it. I don't remember it, but then again, I picked up a bag to do the Human to Elf quest and then realized I was an elf. Must be the old age. Thanks on the note on imbuing. I have read a bit on it, but I definitely have to spend some more time doing so. I upgraded one of the accounts to Stygian last night so that I can get access to some of the craftables. Hoping to put some time in this weekend. Thank again for the notes and the welcomes!

Thanks. Created my first Gargoyle the other night, so my son and I are going to play and explore the new content. I got him a plot of land (not far from the Yew crossroads where I have a place) so that he can mine and chop lumber for his craftsman. Slowly getting set up. But tonight will be more about the playing portion than the just looking for a home that we have been doing. Hopefully one day I will find that castle plot. Did relearn a lesson the other night about double checking items are locked down. I am not used to the server going down, so I was decorating a place and lost connection. So I went to bed. Came back the next morning and found a couple of my potted plants I had put down were no longer there. :( Double sucks 1) having to learn that lesson, and 2) losing an item you can't get again. :( Charles/Ratmyr

So yesterday was the final review of my accounts. It has been a costly endeavor activating all 8 accounts to find not much on them. My main account had a lot, but others with my globes, holiday bells and cakes, and some older rare loot is gone. Even the nightmares I had - though the stables may have deleted them when they could not get any more payment from me. So ended up activating six accounts that were worthless... well there were decent characters on them, but nothing in their bags or banks. Not sure if someone was nice enough to get access to them while I was gone or if the system just dumped the items. Mixed feelings right now on where I will call home. My son and I have setup at the Yew crossroads (nobody there) on Legends, but a lot of vendors aren't restocked, nothing worth while in the market stalls and not many on when visiting Britain, Luna or such. But relocating to servers like Atlantic that opens up availability, I found that finding housing will be a core and prices are much higher, though more vendors and market stalls to work from. But then I would have to move at least two characters, if not three due to the desire to bring some stuff with me. So I have lots of decisions to make for this weekend. All this aside, I am happy to be back though. :)

Appreciate the invite and I will try to drop you a line this weekend. I won't be doing much as it is a conference weekend for Church, so my family and I will be wrapped up in that. But when my son and I are back in game, will let you know.

Thanks again!

Charles.

Quick question for those who have been around for awhile - is there a Ratman costume from Halloween? I have seen a few costumes on vendors, but this would absolutely be one of my favorites if I could get one. My tavern normally has two or three of the statues placed around it (though I wished there could be much larger versions). I just think it would be cool to either have a costume like that or take the form of a Ratman (even cooler, a Ratman Archer). So thought I would ask.

Thanks.

Charles/Ratmyr

It's a shame, as I would definitely use it as often as I could.

So I didn't do much at all this weekend as I ended up being sick and it wiped me out. However, I did set up a house in the abandoned Orc Fort in Malas. Used to remember a player run town here (whether it was on Pacific or on Legends) and so there was a place for me to put an 18x18 for my tavern. It is still in development (I am amassing supplies for making the furniture and add-ons.

If the owner of the 18x18 also located there with all the plant vendors visits this forum, I big thank you to you. I found many plants used to help decorate the landscape on the ground floor. It was awesome to find what I was looking for.

And as I was parting from Legends, a returning player was in Britain asking about player activity and the sort. After a nice discussion with him, I provide him some funds and showed him a nice location to place a home just steps from the guard zone next to the mountains west of Britain and just NE from the moongate. It was nice to help someone get back into the game and was as excited about being back as I am.

• 2 weeks later...

We occupy the Abandonned Orc Fort in Malas on Catskills, 90% of it.  We also own most of the buildings just west of Umbra... Umbra "in character" belongs to CoD. We also have territories in other areas, but the brunt of our daily life is spent there. We have the Bloody Brew Tavern that is open to RP'ers every Thursday night (like tonight! hehe) at 9 PM EST.

http://www.childrenofdarkness.com/territories/

<3 Pandy

So - for those people returning to the game and faced with so many skill options out there, is there a good site that talks different skill builds? I just learned about Sampires (Samurai Vampires) today, and found it interesting. And I am sure there are many others that I need to check as well. But I am not having as much luck trying to find a good reference point.

My main goal is to re-evaluate current characters and identify additional ones to fill my roster. I have minimal soulstones, so it will be difficult to use one character and swap skills as needed. So creating my family. :) But as stated, I have to re-evaluate my characters as my Archer (whom I believe has decent gear on) is only doing like 40 points of damage per hit. I am not sure what is average or great damage levels, but I just didn't seem to be doing much against certain mobs and I want to ensure that I can do better so that I can take on bigger monsters and hopefully start making some gold.

Thanks greatly!

• 2 weeks later...

So what would cause serious loss of fame? My main has gone from Lord Phoenyx Ratmyr (around 14k fame) to just under 8k fame tonight. I have not put on an evil Orc helm (learned that horrible lesson two weeks ago when my main warrior was looking for a new luck). All I have been doing is killing invasion mobs, and I wou

ld think that would be a benefit. So wanted to ask you guys. 

I need to to get that back up. karma is still over 20k, so working fame. 

If you want to get fame the fastest, head to artic ogre lords in Fel and kill them till you hit lord and then some.  

Like sable mentioned, any time you die, you lose fame.  So if you died quite a lot, you'd loose Lord very fast.

Sablestorm - I had forgotten all about that and when I did some reading last night, I saw the formula. Those stupid super zombies wiped out my fame. :(

I was killing an Artic Ogre Lord last night, but it was in Tram. So will check this out tonight. Can't go that long without my title. :) And Pink will granting me a Yew title as well, so will be a loyalty weekend. I earned/bought my Earl of Yew, but I can't go any higher as I can't afford to purchase the titles. Too bad there isn't a Count title. I would love Count Phoenyx Ratmyr a lot more than Lord. :)

So this weekend, I got my fame back up to 12k. Going to get it raised even more, but for now, that was good. Ended up getting a lot of gear to unravel (see next paragraph) as well as just over 200k gold (had to have a bag of sending on me due to the fast gold growth effecting my movement.

Then started focusing on my imbuing on my crafter. Got it to 60%. Took a break and started to do quests to get the recipes for my carpentry and blacksmithing. This gives me a lot of magical items that I don't want and can use to unravel and get some mats. May not be the best option depending on items, but for now, the imbuing mats to allow me to finish my leveling is the main goal.

For those who do imbue and familiar with the three quest givers at the royal city soul forge, what is the purpose for non-stop getting/turning in the quest that gives you only 105 and 110 scrolls (or at least that is all I have seen and read on the net). I see someone that is constantly doing that day/night. I'd estimate maybe 10 turn-ins per recall, and this went on for an hour or so the other night. I don't see anyone selling this many scrolls, so was just wondering. I don't want to assume they are doing it for more "out of game" rewards, so I thought I would ask in case the information about this quest is incorrect and they are trying for something rare.

Oh well - rounded out the weekend looking for a castle. No luck at all. I am thinking I would have better luck if someone dropped off several chests filled with 1 million checks. You know, the old "it fell off the back of a truck, really" type of story. :) One day!

So this weekend, I was running around on different shards and came across a house that had stacks of 1mil gold checks (must have been a half billion or more) and thought this would be a nice IDOC. :)

Also found a place on Atlantic where they had the set of three wall carvings. They looked really cool, but I cannot find where they originate from. Anyone selling them is out of my league - just as many other things are.  I have come to the realization that a castle is not going to happen. I know someone picked up a Felucca castle this weekend for 400mil. I cannot handle 100mil, so trying to fathom 400mil is just beyond my reality. So this got me thinking about what rares I still have and what I lost during the deactivation period (when I lost characters on account and the items in inventory/bank). I am sure I didn't have a house when I deactivated, but it is so long ago, I may have had one. Just prior to deactivation, I was paying for seven accounts and had 9 houses (one account had the grandfathered houses which became a pain to keep current when I was on TDY) so a lot of stuff spread out between them.

Up front, I knew I had lost my holiday bell and statue collections, as well as my collection of crystal balls (from the different locations). Also a lot of the items collected during the AOS launch (roses, cloaks, footwear - seven accounts with five characters per as well as cross shard trading allowed me to have a nice collection). But looking at the museums, I remembered other items that I had lost, including my leprechaun outfit (only one - but still), wood curls and my orcish engineer kit. Obviously not a complete list, but just things I found right away. I did come across someone selling a leprechaun outfit, but with current dyes, I cannot push myself to buy something that may be fake. The only color ID associated to the outfit I could find was for the boots, and this outfit did not have the same color ID. So made me concerned enough to not buy it. :(

I did find my box of mini house deeds (both a complete set as well as a box of extras - sorry only the one castle in the complete set). Also had some of the rare hay and fur, as well as double blessed black sandals. So nice to have found them.

So now - just trying to rebuild my collection, and thus you will see me from time to time posting about certain items I am looking for. For now, I am looking for ranger/bowyer style items that will go well with my tavern, and then I'll expand beyond that. Since I am not rolling in gold, I am limited to what I can purchase - so just focusing on items for my current themes. Thanks for the vendor owner of the More Stuff vendor (at the Lair Annex) as I was able to get the rubble logs and a couple rubble stumps (cannot afford the named logs or stumps). Was really happy to at least find these - so thanks a lot.

Other items that I will be keeping my eye out for is swamp and grass tiles, as well as some nice stalagmites and flowstones for decorating a swamp and cave theme. So if someone is trying to clear containers/storage and looking to get rid of - let me know.

Oh well - off to a IRL meeting. Catch you in game later.

Charles/Ratmyr

Yeah - that is what I used to get my Lordship back. Hunter (my son) and I went there to help him get his fame/karma up, which was working well for him, but was giving the character I took in (one I was building up my fame on) very little growth until we dropped out of party. Hunter has to work on his stat development, as the ogre would hit him once and he was nearly dead - even with 70 resists. So I had him hang back and I used my ogre slayer bow to make work of him. Love soulstones and the ability to move my "almost" legendary archery from one character to another, though buying those scrolls to prevent loss of 20 skill points has been costly.

But I do agree, this has been very simple and I pulling about 30k gold per run (to dump bags as I collect the loot for unraveling). I am sure there are much nicer loot draws out there, but this is working for us right now.

Try Shame dungeon. There are creatures in there of all fame levels and you can get items that use the newer item system. If you get some better items, such as jewelry with 18 Spell damage increase with nothing else, they can provide you with an income. Granted, they are not easy to get, but the junk items will give you something to unravel and get Relic Fragments for Imbuing. Also, the Abyss is a good place to hunt, if you have the Stygian Abyss expansion. Most of the Imbuing ingredients can be had from the Mini-Champ spawns down there. Sounds like your characters can handle that place once you learn the layout.

In my hunting for specific needs, I keep an eye out for them and then make a rune.  I have my tactics for the situation figured out.  In the end, I still have the tune in case I ever need to go back to that situation.  Stealthers are good surveyers.

Clextor

"All hail stealthers"

I hope he can handle it, though I am thinking I am going to have to work in another skill for some extra fire power. Unless I am using a specific slayer weapon, most of the time I am pulling about 30 damage per shot. Just seems like it isn't much damage at all - especially when I have been trying to help in the invasions (which only received on artifact). So going to read up on build templates and recommendations for attacking.

Wished there was an armory type capability like WOW has so that when I see some archers doing awesome damage - I can jot down the name and look at how they are built and gear they have. Paperdoll reviews work ok, but are rough when they take off running elsewhere or recall somewhere else. The game has changed a lot during the past 8 or so years, so I just need to update my main archer to match that.

Thanks.

Do you have chivalry?  If so are you using....gah I can't think of names - there's two spells one that adds damage to that specific creature type you're attacking  and the creature goes orange to you while you attack it, then Consecrated weapon which has to be cast pretty frequently to increase even more damage.

Nope and thus the reason I mentioned I need to look into the other newer skills. My Archer basically has Archery, Tactics, Anatomy, Healing, Fletching (may be one other one that is GM or better) and then mid level skills in magery, resisting and focus. Can't remember. I had been looking at people talking about both Chivalry and Bushido - so I may be looking at Chivalry when I get on this weekend. Right now, my fletching was removed to allow me to play with other skills to get better damage. I could always move fletching to another individual, but I always wanted my main to be like a ranger who chops, creates a bow and fights - all being self reliant. Sort of a RP element with him.

Appreciate the note.

An archer is best when he can move around and use his ranged weapon.  Very similar in tactical deployment of mages.  My archer stays in open terrain, which, means for the most part, on the surface.

But, with a group, he can stand just behind.  Once the monster focuses on the melee fighter, the archer can step up just behind the melee fighter to heal and still fire.

Clex

"teamwork and tactics"

• 1 month later...

So update - it has taken some time, but I finally got my first castle. I am currently trying to acquire items to decorate it. I moved my BOW museum from the house in Malas to the castle (which is on what I used to refer to as Ice island, but it doesn't seem to be called that - so the island with Deceit on it). So soon I will have my archery and bowyer related items on display and as always, looking for other unique/special/rare bows to add to the collection. I love the ability to decorate the courtyard. Eventually will want to get some rubble walls to make another room, but for now I am focused on arranging my storage and setting up the living areas.

That said - I was thinking this past weekend that I wished you could move characters between accounts linked to your master account (similar to how you can in WOW). I cannot warrant paying for multiple accounts, but on the same note, it is not desirable having to rebuild a near GM tamer. :(

My wife would never play the game - and I have never really been able to get her to play any of the games I play - unless they were an iPad type game. But my son plays almost anything I play, and lately plays more than I do due to my back issues and sometimes lack of enthusiasm due to the pain and the meds. But he is enjoying it. He loves the customization aspect and the ability to have a house and decorate it. But he is also picking up on crafting and hunting, though nothing major as of yet. I think his interest will stay with UO.