Extreme Nostalgia - Considering coming back - Need a few answers :)

Hi ppl,

thank you for your time in helping a nostalgic player with his decision ;)

I played UO for 7 years between 2000-2007 and still today it's my best mmorpg experience I ever had.

I sold my account (and I still repent badly) because I stopped playing online.

2 Years a go I decided to get again an healty online addiction, but I can't tell you my disappointment after trying so many modern mmorpgs (both sub and f2p).

What I am basically missing:

- The community interaction (a global chat and instanced dungeons are FOR SURE NOT ENOUGH to define a mmorpg social where you have to do actually things in-game with players)

- Be a rare traders / collector (the nowdays "legendary" items on mmorpg are just items you get on higher level but everyone can get them, there are NO rares / true rares / uniques)

- Invest a lot of time to reach your goals (I just started playing FF14 since at least it's a sub game - and you can reach level cap in ONE WEEK of intensive gameplay..wtf? what shall I do now? Wait for next expansion?)

So I'd like to know if nowdays UO offers still those things I am looking for, and if it's not going to shutdown anytime soon, because I want to stick with a mmorpg for long time! ^^

thanks!

UO is still here and I think there was just recently a rares festival. I'm not too knowledgeable about those things as I never got into rares collecting myself, but yes they still exist and are quite popular. I suggest getting a trial account and giving UO a try again. One of the issues with trial accounts, however, is you won't be able to hop into general chat and so what's going. For instance, these days on Pacific, players have been hunting the void pool during the days and it gets organized through general chat. Luna bank is where players congregate rather than West Britain Bank which used to be the bank sitting capitol. It also helps to find a good guild/alliance. Having guild and alliance chat keeps you informed on what's going on out in the world. Oh and if you pick Pacific, let me know and I'll do what I can to help you get settled in.

Thank you a lot for your reply :) all what you said is pushing me to come back..but..ge...general chat? This is something I wanted to avoid..I hate it on modern mmorpg, because you just watch this chat more than the game. In UO the nice thing for me was to meet all travellers and the amazing speech-over-head. But well I can survive with it. Since i'm EU Located, I was thinking to go back to my original server I used to play (Europa), but I'm not sure it's still enough populated. I read Atlantic and Pacific are the most populated one, maybe this would be a better pick. thanks!

As the server status indicates, Europa on like 8 pm CET mostly has a population of "Medium". I do also play on Europa, but I only go for PvM content (don't like the PvP stuff at all). It's a good decision to avoid general chat. On Europa, they mostly flame and brag about PvP stuff. I guess Europa is also the best choice for you because of the ping. Dunno about the ping of US servers for Europeans.

..but..ge...general chat? This is something I wanted to avoid..I hate it on modern mmorpg, because you just watch this chat more than the game. In UO the nice thing for me was to meet all travellers and the amazing speech-over-head. But well I can survive with it.

Well, you can always log out of the general chat and ignore it. You won't even miss much on most shards ;-)