Gospel of Jesus' Wife a Forgery?

The torn, business card-size fragment found instant fame when Harvard historian Karen King announced its discovery last Tuesday (Sept. 18), because it bears the startling line: "Jesus said to them, 'My wife …'" The manuscript is written in Coptic, the language of early Christians living in Egypt. Although the beginning and end of each line of the manuscript are missing, it could be interpreted as a record of a conversation between Jesus and his disciples, in which the disciples tell Jesus: "Mary [Magdalene] is not worthy of it," and Jesus responds that his wife — presumably Mary — "will be able to be his disciple."

King has tentatively dated the artifact to the fourth century, and thinks it may be a copy of a gospel (an account of Jesus' life) written in Greece in the second century, when there was controversy among Christians over the discipleship of Mary Magdalene. If authentic, the gospel suggests some early Christians believed Jesus and Mary were married.

Whole story:

Is the Gospel of Jesus' Wife a Forgery? - Yahoo! News

Christian traditions aside, it personally sounds waaaaay too fishy and most likely a huge forgery to me. What sucks is the poor Harvard historian who got roped into this and will likely end up looking like a complete doof when the labwork on the ink comes back conclusive to contemporary. Wonder if they could just hit it with a laser to analyze it.

There have been multiple other references to Jesus having a wife, including those that were more contemporary than this current one. As long as people continue to wear their dogma like a second skin, even the possibility of an alternative, unadulterated history is impossible.

And, just to throw this out in a general way, I'm going to leave this here - if I'm forced to move it to Area51, the person forcing that move will be taking a vacation from UOF, and I'm not talking 2-3 days.

The common King James Bible that most churches use today is not the whole thing. There were many gospels left out because they were too hard to understand, or not in a form that fit in with the others, or simply did not fit in with the political climate of the time. Plus the Bible has been translated and rewritten many times. Supposedly, the Bible used today is the Cliff notes version. So Jesus may have been married. It would certainly have a lot of people up in arms if that turns out to be the case.

I dont understand why it would be a big deal if he was married. It doesnt fundamentally alter any of the teachings. The bible never says marriage is evil. It makes it quite clear that its a gift from God, so I dont understand why it would be a big deal.

A lot of the holes poked in the veracity of the claim in the story make good sense. Maybe they went to the press with it now so they could have it come out on their own terms instead of trying to keep a lid on it and some other person/group says they're hiding it, setting off conspiracies, etc.

Also, they get to film a History or National Geographic Channel special this way and get paid, lol

I could care less personally, but I'm sure it affects the nature of divinity, then opens the door to offspring, questions the past ~2k years of tradition to it's core, etc.

I dont understand why it would be a big deal if he was married. It doesnt fundamentally alter any of the teachings. The bible never says marriage is evil. It makes it quite clear that its a gift from God, so I dont understand why it would be a big deal.
  • 3 weeks later...

The "Gospel of Jesus' Wife" papyrus, which may or may not be a forgery, seems to be in limbo, as the Harvard Theological Review has pulled the scientific article describing the discovery from their January 2013 issue.

This withdrawal, however, doesn't mean the journal will never publish the scientific paper by Harvard historian Karen King on the supposed lost Gospel. "Harvard Theological Review is planning to publish Professor King's paper after testing is concluded so that the results may be incorporated," Kit Dodgson, director of communications at Harvard Divinity School, wrote in an email to LiveScience.

Whole article here:

'Gospel of Jesus' Wife' Faces Authenticity Tests - Yahoo! News

Sounds to me the uproar was either shortsightedness prior to validation or just clever press for a usually dry corner of academia.