Europa Roleplaying-Community Kickstarter Campaign: "Gangs of Britain"

Can someone clarify a few points on equipment rules?

Are the weapons and armour to be used no greater than the standard of NPC grade?

Are looted weapons and armour from monsters allowed providing they contain no enhancements?

Are enhanced bandies forbidden?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think as for armor, GM quality, based on what can be mined in and around Britain. (Valorite will be a costly and rare commodity)

Leather will basically be the same, very few dragons in Britain, so barbed would be expensive if ever found)

Based on the poverty levels involved, I would think, no one could possibly own a fountain, and so enhanced bandies would not exist in this group.

Of course, negotiable depending on how the whole community looks at it.

Can someone clarify a few points on equipment rules?

Are the weapons and armour to be used no greater than the standard of NPC grade?

Are looted weapons and armour from monsters allowed providing they contain no enhancements?

I'd like to refer to this:

3. Only items/resources created or gathered by characters of the Britain Gangs and items that are bought by NPCs in Britain are allowed to be used, traded with or consumed.

This rule is to make the aspects of trade and economy more interesting. It would be nice to see a good economical RP system be created. And avoid people from hurling in resources from outside of Britain on other characters. It may also require that characters will have to move away from pure warrior/mage templates and add some crafting/gathering templates.

Player crafted weapons and armor (from members of this project) would also be allowed (the DI would increase along with the crafters skill, so this would mean that more skillfull crafters would be more attractive on the market of trade). No magical weapons allowed though. Just like in the previous RoE.

I see no reason to ban that. Considering there are no differences between those and an NPC made weapons/armor, or? The player craftsmen crafted weapons / armor would still be more attractive.

I just fail to see how a Fountain of Life would get into the trade system of the Gangs of Britain du to the trade restrictions of 3rd rule I proposed above and in the OP? Unless the Fountain of Life is craftable by players nowdays?

I think, what I'm considering right now because I know my play time is going to be lesser than most and my hours odd, to go as a crafter...likely a blacksmith/tailor (or something like that) that will do trades for armor, etc. At least that's what my brain is saying is a good idea for now, as much as I'd like to have a mercenary drow guild, it would be hard to do in this setting.

Thanks for the clarification.

I was a bit concerned that GM armour and weapons being allowed could be subverted using the existing RoE rules by utilising GM crafters or purchasing same via vendors. By limiting it to only to the standard of "gang" crafters makes sense and anyone attempting to break that "rule" will be easily spotted. If all "play the game" it should take a good while before any crafter gets to GM level.

On the point of materials, it should also be quite a while before leather quality exceeds spined. As for metals, presumably the same rules apply to miners.

Enhanced bandies are a little trickier and a lot harder to police. May I suggest, to limit this "temptation", enhanced bandies are forbidden full stop? Doing this will also have the added benefit of not having a "free" 10 points of skill to be used elsewhere.

Thanks for the clarification.

I was a bit concerned that GM armour and weapons being allowed could be subverted using the existing RoE rules by utilising GM crafters or purchasing same via vendors. By limiting it to only to the standard of "gang" crafters makes sense and anyone attempting to break that "rule" will be easily spotted. If all "play the game" it should take a good while before any crafter gets to GM level.

I have to agree there. Mining and blacksmithing is difficult to raise when you're mining all your own material.

Are Samurai, ninjutus, chivarly, necro or spellweaving books craftable or obtainable in the Britain area?

Enhanced bandies are a little trickier and a lot harder to police. May I suggest, to limit this "temptation", enhanced bandies are forbidden full stop? Doing this will also have the added benefit of not having a "free" 10 points of skill to be used elsewhere.

I'm game.

I think this is an awesome idea.

That is assuming that the aim is to draw activity away from efforts people are making to keep what we've built up over the years alive.

Oh, and divide the community further.

I reckon as soon as the community is trying to keep on to something that's not in proportion to the amount of members of the community, something new needs to be created. Not only to make the community more active (and foremost interactive) but also to make it more attractive. It has in the latest time not been that attractive, which has been proven by members becoming inactive, and guilds folding. A community is not made up by one group with one idea, its made up of several groups with several ideas.

As I replied to Vierna when she first posted, if there's something in this idea that you don't like, or if you have suggestions in how to make the idea more attractive to you and your group. Please share those ideas.

What we need is more people logging in and doing things.

Yes, I know, that's an overused phrase. But the act itself is underused.

People lose interest in RP when it's the same stuff over and over, with no new experiences.

Etch-a-Sketching the community into a moot/wargame scenario thing might raise interest in that niche in the short term. But in the long term it'll just choke the life out of what exists already, and slowly crumble for exactly the same reasons things have currently, just with fewer people bunched into a smaller area it'll happen quicker (and perhaps more dramatically).

What we need is more people logging in and doing things.

Yes, I know, that's an overused phrase. But the act itself is underused.

People lose interest in RP when it's the same stuff over and over, with no new experiences.

Etch-a-Sketching the community into a moot/wargame scenario thing might raise interest in that niche in the short term. But in the long term it'll just choke the life out of what exists already, and slowly crumble for exactly the same reasons things have currently, just with fewer people bunched into a smaller area it'll happen quicker (and perhaps more dramatically).

I agree with you. Moots and Wargames was something that killed my interest back in the days as well as they often felt forced, and the results of them were usually arguments over ICQ. Hence why this project won't be neither. This project will be focusing on bringing one area to life, hopefully in the long term if everything goes well. I can see a lot of potential for various role-play scenarios and role-play types in this that's probably not been seen for a good while. I'm not really the only one seeing the potential in it though.

Its not a guarantee that it'll work, but its a try. Followed by an later evaluation.

The underlying fact is that people don't want to return to what currently exists. They want something new. This is a suggestion for something new, and there's quite a group supporting the suggestion by now. Why not give it a shot while the interest is there rather than debating back and forth whether to do it or not. Its a chance for former players to bury the war hatchet between each-other that made any kind of event planning result in a low turnout or overall arguments in the past. It's one city, newely created characters, one character per player, 2 official active days, what is there really to lose?

I agree that all the roleplayers need to come together into a smaller area but I am not exactly sure if they still want restrictions on gear and what not, to me, it seems like something that won't last if we're following the current RoE... Also, everyone has to make new characters as well, what will become of my other characters? I would like to keep roleplaying them, but really, if I wanted to, I could get away without using any non-runic crafted gear at this point hence, there is no PVP going on and 3 of the dungeons are impossible to solo in said gear, but as a roleplayer, I have no reason to go solo hunting OOC, only time that I have is to fight Arctic Ogre Lords for karma.. I've pretty much run my course in the current guilds I am in with my characters and I doubt the guilds they are in will ever revive, BoC is pretty much dead as a door-nail, I could pretty much do anything I want at this point and I could even pave over Cove with another guild and people wouldn't give a damn, but I would probably be murdered in my sleep.. It's just a question of what am I going to do though? (I don't even have a house at the moment, gonna need one of those too.)

The Samuri/Paladin Question is actually very valid and needs a straight answer because you can start with the books, I personally feel samuri shouldn't be allowed but those are based on it being OP especially if you have 50 of it vs other people who may have other fighting skills since it gives you a very nice heal.

This raises other questions like Necro's and mages while certain guilds allowed necros mainly Vesper you wont be able to get all the scrolls in britain and the same goes for magery you will never be able to find an energy bolt scroll in the confines of britain so I feel a system of some sort should be filled out for people who decide magery is something they want there character to have maybe have some sort of research task they'll be required to do before they can get spells of higher levels that'd end up having to be brought in, requiring the person to be a certain level of skill (about 65 for 6th circles) because other wise this limits mages to very basic spells (first through fourth and possibly fifth not sure if specters in the grave yard still drop fifth level scrolls).

That will be something that will come up if the plan takes off and is a hit because 65 magery wont happen for awhile, as for enhanced bandages there is no way to create them without owning a house with a fountain in it that is gotten from hertitage tokens so there would be absolutely no way any one could have enhanced bandages without cheating.

Skill over sights are something that should be looked into real quick because they can become a huge problem if you don't. At the moment I think the only magic allowed should be plain magery just due to necromancy having a whole grey area in the RoE of different guilds and other magics only getting foggier as you get to the newer stuff.

I agree that all the roleplayers need to come together into a smaller area but I am not exactly sure if they still want restrictions on gear and what not, to me, it seems like something that won't last if we're following the current RoE... Also, everyone has to make new characters as well, what will become of my other characters? I would like to keep roleplaying them, but really, if I wanted to, I could get away without using any non-runic crafted gear at this point hence, there is no PVP going on and 3 of the dungeons are impossible to solo in said gear, but as a roleplayer, I have no reason to go solo hunting OOC, only time that I have is to fight Arctic Ogre Lords for karma.. I've pretty much run my course in the current guilds I am in with my characters and I doubt the guilds they are in will ever revive, BoC is pretty much dead as a door-nail, I could pretty much do anything I want at this point and I could even pave over Cove with another guild and people wouldn't give a damn, but I would probably be murdered in my sleep.. It's just a question of what am I going to do though? (I don't even have a house at the moment, gonna need one of those too.)

You can keep roleplaying your old characters if you like but don't expect that you can take part in the trade or conflicts(pvp) associated with the Brtiain Gangs. As I said before, it should be same circumstances for everyone. The only restriction on gear is that you use what is created/found in the area that's not magical.

And we won't be following the RoE on every point. The ruleset of the Gangs would alternate some rules of the RoE. Which is the biggest reason I don't think that old characters and the new Gang characters should be warred/engage in conflict. They'd not be playing on same circumstances and it'd be highly imbalanced between old and new characters. I don't want us to start overhauling the old RoE and try to make a new one, the discussions that we had to go through last time did nothing but add bitterness amongst those discussing them. They're good as they are. But there will be exceptions made within the Ruleset of the Gangs.

If you want to take part in this project, you should make a new roleplaying character, start following the current ruleset (which will most likely alter forth and back during time that elapses) and join CoB, City of Britain.

The Samuri/Paladin Question is actually very valid and needs a straight answer because you can start with the books, I personally feel samuri shouldn't be allowed but those are based on it being OP especially if you have 50 of it vs other people who may have other fighting skills since it gives you a very nice heal.

This raises other questions like Necro's and mages while certain guilds allowed necros mainly Vesper you wont be able to get all the scrolls in britain and the same goes for magery you will never be able to find an energy bolt scroll in the confines of britain so I feel a system of some sort should be filled out for people who decide magery is something they want there character to have maybe have some sort of research task they'll be required to do before they can get spells of higher levels that'd end up having to be brought in, requiring the person to be a certain level of skill (about 65 for 6th circles) because other wise this limits mages to very basic spells (first through fourth and possibly fifth not sure if specters in the grave yard still drop fifth level scrolls).

That will be something that will come up if the plan takes off and is a hit because 65 magery wont happen for awhile, as for enhanced bandages there is no way to create them without owning a house with a fountain in it that is gotten from hertitage tokens so there would be absolutely no way any one could have enhanced bandages without cheating.

Skill over sights are something that should be looked into real quick because they can become a huge problem if you don't. At the moment I think the only magic allowed should be plain magery just due to necromancy having a whole grey area in the RoE of different guilds and other magics only getting foggier as you get to the newer stuff.

Here's what I see regarding all those skills:

Chivarly.

While you may start off with a chivarly book in your backpack upon character creation, this book soon becomes rather unusable as there's no where in britain for you to tithe gold. And the use of it would soon be ruled out by the point that you have to use gold in order to cast spells. If we follow the proposed rulesets that is.

Ninjutsu/Bushido.

Again, if you can't find the Ninjutsu/Bushido books in the area of Britain (which you can't), or if it can't be crafted (which it can't), following the current ruleset would rule out the use of it.

Spellweaving.

This book is only obtained by a quest located outside the area of Britain and cannot be crafted, following the current rulesets would ban this book as well.

Necromancy.

As I recall each mageshop is by now selling all kinds of necromancers reagents? Considering the book is craftable along with the scrolls to it, the current ruleset allows the use of Necromancy and makes it practical to the settings. However, I personally would prefer if the skill would stick with Gangs/Groups that in some way have a culture/background that supports it. Normal citizens would probably not practice it as they'd be more focused on making money. But it would be more common among the rather shady communities of mages or races with culture of magics. The spells of usage would still be restricted of the RoE.

Mysticism.

While this book is craftable along with the scrolls that applies to it. There's only a few spells that would be available to people due to the other reagents only being aquirable in Ter Mur (outside the Britain area) or restricted by RoE. Here's a list of the spells that would be banned in regards of that:

Spell Trigger,

Bombard,

Cleansing Winds,

Hail Storm,

Spell Plague,

Rising Colossos,

Nether Cyclone

I don't see a reason not to allow this, but like magery it would be nice to see if the use of Mysticism was somehow interlaced with the concept of the Gang.

Magery.

Not much to say here. The reagents can be found in Britain, and the scrolls/book is craftable. Meaning that the skill has its full potentional use within the frames of the Gang ruleset. The spells of usage would still be restricted by RoE.

That's my suggestion to it all. I just want people not to forget that Paladins have existed before the age of Chivarly. Samurais/Ninjutsu practicers have existed before the time those skills were implemented. As well as people practicing magics of the nature or mysticism. The only difference is that it was roleplayed, rather than used in Pvp.

I reckon the best way to understand which skills/Spells would be allowed and which would not is to view over these two suggested rules:

3. Only items/resources created or gathered by characters of the Britain Gangs and items that are bought by NPCs in Britain are allowed to be used, traded with or consumed.

This rule is to make the aspects of trade and economy more interesting. It would be nice to see a good economical RP system be created. And avoid people from hurling in resources from outside of Britain on other characters. It may also require that characters will have to move away from pure warrior/mage templates and add some crafting/gathering templates.

And:

8. Keep to the area of Britain.

Area yet not determined. But it should include places where resources (wood, fish, farms, mountains) are available.

If you can utilise a skill within those rulesets, go ahead. If you can't utilise a skill without breaking one of those rulesets, don't use that skill.

I would like to think that the object of this mini-game would be to play a character rather than be the most powerful and unkillable than anyone else. I'm not going to pay much attention to the rules of combat, as my chosen character will be a non-combatant (should I start up), at least at first.

And though magical skills are something which may be looked into eventually, the one skill which really needs to be avoided, if possible, is poisoning (and the spell poison). With brand new characters (and likely limited amounts of gold), only a mage would have a reliable method for curing poisons, and a single poison potion requires a bunch of cure potions to counter.

That being said, I'm still in favor of as few rules as possible, including skill limitations. Otherwise, we'll be bogged down with "He broke the rules!" more than actually roleplaying.

And should somebody start using an overpowered template to take advantage of everyone's relative weaknesses, then it's up to the rest of us, IN CHARACTER, to wipe the offending character off the face of Britain, wrap his body in a reward-carpet and throw him in the moat.

I would like to think that the object of this mini-game would be to play a character rather than be the most powerful and unkillable than anyone else. I'm not going to pay much attention to the rules of combat, as my chosen character will be a non-combatant (should I start up), at least at first.

And though magical skills are something which may be looked into eventually, the one skill which really needs to be avoided, if possible, is poisoning (and the spell poison). With brand new characters (and likely limited amounts of gold), only a mage would have a reliable method for curing poisons, and a single poison potion requires a bunch of cure potions to counter.

That being said, I'm still in favor of as few rules as possible, including skill limitations. Otherwise, we'll be bogged down with "He broke the rules!" more than actually roleplaying.

And should somebody start using an overpowered template to take advantage of everyone's relative weaknesses, then it's up to the rest of us, IN CHARACTER, to wipe the offending character off the face of Britain, wrap his body in a reward-carpet and throw him in the moat.

I agree, its not about being the best, its about making it interesting roleplay for everyon. And I have been botehred about the skill/spell of poisoning as well. Considering that it would be so extremely hard to cure in the lower levels by low skilled characters. I really don't want to suggest that we ban it but I'm having a hard time coming around the problem. We'll need to look closer into that, perhaps someone else has a good suggestion?

Yeah, for the first time I've considered my characters skills based on him as a person rather than what it shunned on him from the community. Rather than going, right, let's train up swords so I can pwn in pvp, I've had to evaluate what my character does, and what skills he may of gained from it. For now, he has just wrestling - because he's a bar brawler, and mace fighting, because he uses large hammers to destroy rubble (I figured he helped remove the rubble from Blackthorn's remains).

That's all he has. All my skills are unlocked (except Focus) and whatever he skills up in, he skills up in. I haven't chosen seven skills to train up to 100, I'm just letting him grow however.

Also, Palin. I have no idea how you think the current RoE we've had in place for the last few years is killing the community? If you want to go kill Ogre Lords, I've always had a character that's not been in a guild, so no rules apply to me - yet I can still piss about and role play with people.

As Farsight said, this project is about getting people role playing again, rather than building the most elite of fighting templates to destroy and conquer - because that is what has damaged the community for me.

My personal idea about poisoning (and other OP skills) is that no skill should be banned outright. Once the use of an overpowered skill has been proven in character, everyone else (who can) repeatedly beats the crap out of that person until they submit and stop using the skill. In other words, mob justice.

In other words, if I should take up poisoning (and I have considered it), I can only actually use the skill against single opponents, and only then if there are no other witnesses around (otherwise I would have to beat them too).

If lynch mobs aren't effective, then a town guard may need to be formed.

If the offenses continue and cease to be fun for anyone except the offender, only then should we think about skills ban and eliminating the player from the field.

So here's my proposal to the area of resource gathering and general Gang, Buisness and organisation roleplaying activity.

namnlsqa.png

A more central city map including street names and adresses is slowly being compiled (not by me).

I'd also like to make a few more suggestions that've come to my mind regarding the ruleset.

14-day trial characters:

In order to make roleplay available and enjoyable for everyone, including those that don't really afford or want to pay for UO due to they only being able to play periodically. I would like to allow people with 14-day accounts to join this project. The 1 character per player rule is still mandatory though. This way, people can create roleplaying characters and join the fun with the rest of us when they can/feel like it. After the 14 days expires, a new 14-day trial account needs to be created in order for it to still be free. Here players can chose to continue with the same character or create a completely new one.

The disadvantage these 14-day trial account players will experience is that those paying for UO will slowly become more superiour skillwise. As your skills reset to 100 skillpoints each time you create a new character.

The advantage of having a 14-day trial character would be that those players would be able to chose wether to continue playing the same character, or expreince other parts of this project by creating a new character after the 14 days expires. An experience which may be considered more static for those paying for full subscriptions.

The 1000gp newbie gold.

Considering the setting of this project, I would like that we made it mandatory that all the newbie gold you recieve when creating a new character MUST be spent on buying skillpoints from NPCs in Britain (not in Haven where you can buy up to 40 in skill). This is to stop an inflation of money caused by the re-creating of 14-day trial accounts and general people joining the project.

Thoughts?

I was personally thinking about saving 500 of those not-earned gold coins for eventually joining the thieves guild (Not a small feat, earning 10 points of stealing without explicitly training), but it may be an interesting challenge to earn those coins without hunting or gathering.

But I would like to add resources to the list of things which can be purchased with new gold. i.e. reagents, tinker tools, clothes, hammers... pretty much anything except weapons and armor. So long as it all gets spent, I'm happy.

Right that took me ages to read, should of read it from the start heh.

I'll jump in now and say my bit.

Firstly i just want to add:

It is better to create the gangs as seperate guilds and all be in a war ring, can create a Gangs of Britain chat room these days using the in game global chat system to communicate.

Reason being for this that being green to eachother has various RP PvP complications such as the detecting hidden which you already stated. But also explosion potions and conflags do not damage you if your green to each other, so that basically makes alchemy pointless for RP PvP. And Conflags are used for good things sometimes. Im sure there was some other points too but i can't remember.

Secondly just a few questions.

Is this planned to be permanent or just a long campaign?

If it is going to be permanent then will at any point the Gangs of Britain merge into the existing community war ring etc? Even if down the line everyone is fully trained i see that it would be difficult with the 100 skill cap and all new players to it have to be new players.

So if its just 2 days a week, what are those days? And will they change around and such? Such as each week the days are announced.

Is the plan for this to eventually eliminate the old guilds and community and push fourth with this Gangs of Britain community?

Thirdly i will just say a few words.

I will state firstly that i will not be abandoning my Hand of Chaos guild, and that will be my first priority.

A few months back we spoke of centralising the community, many were talking of doing it in Yew again and i was all for it. So i left Vesper and created the Hand of Chaos as a seperate guild, i went with this concept because it allows us to operate anywhere in the lands, so we can RP anywhere and make anywhere our main hang out even if our guild buildings are at the chaos shrine.

Blackthorn has just had his new castle built which is going to be our new HQ probably, which i got really excited about being based in Britain with all this new idea going ahead, then i saw it was all new characters and such lol, so was a bit gutted.

I already created a new guild to be able to centralise, i don't want to do it again. I'm really pumped with the Hand of Chaos right now, things are looking really good for us and lots of people are talking about Blackthorn returning which i hope is true.

Saying all this i am still willing to give this a try, as most of my time will be concetrating on the Hand of Chaos i cannot dedicate to it fully, but i may still casually try to lead a gang for this scenario. Create perhaps a sister guild for alts of the Hand of Chaos and anyone else interested. Might even still link it to Chaos. Richard Heath/Bedford already came up with an idea to perhaps have a gang of Blackthorn's Castle household staff lol, servants, butchers, cooks, miners, stablemasters or whatever lol. That could be interesting. But i also have other ideas from the past when we tried to launch gangs of Vesper etc that i will have a look at.

So i am willing to give it a go, but i am not willing to dedicate 7 days a week to UO, 2 days for this and the rest for Hand of Chaos as i will burn out very quickly and end up leaving again. So Hand of Chaos will of course come first if something big is going on.

The 1000gp newbie gold.

Considering the setting of this project, I would like that we made it mandatory that all the newbie gold you recieve when creating a new character MUST be spent on buying skillpoints from NPCs in Britain (not in Haven where you can buy up to 40 in skill). This is to stop an inflation of money caused by the re-creating of 14-day trial accounts and general people joining the project.

Thoughts?

Spent mine already :(

You can keep roleplaying your old characters if you like but don't expect that you can take part in the trade or conflicts(pvp) associated with the Brtiain Gangs. As I said before, it should be same circumstances for everyone. The only restriction on gear is that you use what is created/found in the area that's not magical.

And we won't be following the RoE on every point. The ruleset of the Gangs would alternate some rules of the RoE. Which is the biggest reason I don't think that old characters and the new Gang characters should be warred/engage in conflict. They'd not be playing on same circumstances and it'd be highly imbalanced between old and new characters. I don't want us to start overhauling the old RoE and try to make a new one, the discussions that we had to go through last time did nothing but add bitterness amongst those discussing them. They're good as they are. But there will be exceptions made within the Ruleset of the Gangs.

If you want to take part in this project, you should make a new roleplaying character, start following the current ruleset (which will most likely alter forth and back during time that elapses) and join CoB, City of Britain.

Here's what I see regarding all those skills:

Chivarly.

While you may start off with a chivarly book in your backpack upon character creation, this book soon becomes rather unusable as there's no where in britain for you to tithe gold. And the use of it would soon be ruled out by the point that you have to use gold in order to cast spells. If we follow the proposed rulesets that is.

Ninjutsu/Bushido.

Again, if you can't find the Ninjutsu/Bushido books in the area of Britain (which you can't), or if it can't be crafted (which it can't), following the current ruleset would rule out the use of it.

Spellweaving.

This book is only obtained by a quest located outside the area of Britain and cannot be crafted, following the current rulesets would ban this book as well.

Necromancy.

As I recall each mageshop is by now selling all kinds of necromancers reagents? Considering the book is craftable along with the scrolls to it, the current ruleset allows the use of Necromancy and makes it practical to the settings. However, I personally would prefer if the skill would stick with Gangs/Groups that in some way have a culture/background that supports it. Normal citizens would probably not practice it as they'd be more focused on making money. But it would be more common among the rather shady communities of mages or races with culture of magics. The spells of usage would still be restricted of the RoE.

Mysticism.

While this book is craftable along with the scrolls that applies to it. There's only a few spells that would be available to people due to the other reagents only being aquirable in Ter Mur (outside the Britain area) or restricted by RoE. Here's a list of the spells that would be banned in regards of that:

Spell Trigger,

Bombard,

Cleansing Winds,

Hail Storm,

Spell Plague,

Rising Colossos,

Nether Cyclone

I don't see a reason not to allow this, but like magery it would be nice to see if the use of Mysticism was somehow interlaced with the concept of the Gang.

Magery.

Not much to say here. The reagents can be found in Britain, and the scrolls/book is craftable. Meaning that the skill has its full potentional use within the frames of the Gang ruleset. The spells of usage would still be restricted by RoE.

That's my suggestion to it all. I just want people not to forget that Paladins have existed before the age of Chivarly. Samurais/Ninjutsu practicers have existed before the time those skills were implemented. As well as people practicing magics of the nature or mysticism. The only difference is that it was roleplayed, rather than used in Pvp.

Nathaniel I think you missed the point/ didn't actually carefully read my post on book skills.

Bushido and Ninjitsu are both books you get full from starting a character with even 1 point of the ability

As for Magery/Necromancy my point wasn't that necromancy should be banned as much as there is no way to get scrolls, same with magery, Yes you can make scroll but speaking as someone who has inscription to someone who may never have even had a mage, You can't create scrolls unless you already have the spell meaning inscription doesn't solve the lack of scroll problem.

Which is why I wanted to address this because I would rather not join a Grd in britain where everyone is limited to melee or archery. A fix needs to be found possibly something like what I posted originally.

As for Palin, Lack of magic gear isn't killing anything just look at how dead Catskills is and they have absolutely no restrictions whatsoever.

I can think of a solution, but it would be a bit outside of the box.

The solution is trade outside of Britain. While this is goign to be a group focused in/around Britain, you could have travelling guilds that visit the town to sell goods/merchandise/etc.

For example, some unsavory drow may be interested in bringing in some necromancy books to cause problems in a group that's anti necromancy in Britain, etc.

I don't have any free char slots, would i be allowed to take one of my chars, soulstone all his skills off and namechange him?

The idea is to have a character with no scrolls at all meaning yeah you could do that as long as you kept your skills at or below 100 each and had no stat scroll attached or have stats under 230 (because of the 6 month thing) and were willing to lock them before they grew passed that as per rules.

I could see that being a huge pain trying to make sure the stats were okay and having to police them, rebuying any scrolls attached the renamed character would have to be cheaper than buying two rename tokens if you're afraid this will get scrapped and want your character back.

Is this on allready? if so where do i sign upp? Im not sure how active i would be able to be but im sure i can get some time for it as i love the idea, allthough ill miss my orcs.

It havent really started yet officially but if you want to add a character to CIty of BRitain speak to Baaruk. Furthermore... Orcs are most welcome. But ddont expect to be treated without hostilityy :)

Yeah i just can't justify deleting one of my characters when i've spent minimum 40m minimum on each of them kitting them out with advanced char tokens, various powerscrolls and stat scrolls and using name changes on them over the years.

I may be opening a second account soon, so can do it on that.

It havent really started yet officially but if you want to add a character to CIty of BRitain speak to Baaruk. Furthermore... Orcs are most welcome. But ddont expect to be treated without hostilityy :)

Well since i have to start over i wont create an orc. Orc belong in a clan of orcs no more no less :)

Maybe we shouldn't force people to form and join gangs? We should just treat this as a new side-community, let the people do what they want - if gangs should form which I reckon they will, then great.

I'm seeing this as two days a week, where everyone knows where the role-playing will be that evening, thus promising some scale of fun. I don't think I have any intention on joining a gang. Not quite yet.

I just feel the title of the project makes it sound like it's based on gangs and conflict, which isn't everyone's cup of tea.

I quite agree with you there Van. To force or otherwise a player into a gang just for the sake of it smacks of contrivance. Why should someone who wants to play a crafter be required to be a gang member? If I was creating a character for this project, it would be a loner (perhaps a Drow) who would have no morals or scruples allying with another individual or group if and when it suits.

If the idea is to portray a not very nice selfish !!!!!!!, then you have to create the back-story first and continue to remain in character.

An orc tribe living in the forests of Britain would just add to the risk of lumberjacks/miners/hunters venturing there. I reckon it would be an awesome addition as well as great "Gang" concept.

Indeed it would but i have a fealing the interest wouldnt be good enough, attleast not if you look at the past where orc on europa has allways been relativley small compared to other guilds:) but i would be willing to give it a try asuming more than 1 person (me) would be interested in playing orc gang.

If it is going to be permanent then will at any point the Gangs of Britain merge into the existing community war ring etc? Even if down the line everyone is fully trained i see that it would be difficult with the 100 skill cap and all new players to it have to be new players.

So if its just 2 days a week, what are those days? And will they change around and such? Such as each week the days are announced.

Is the plan for this to eventually eliminate the old guilds and community and push fourth with this Gangs of Britain community?

My questions from the other page still stand.

I think wether it is just a short term thing or long term or permanent, would greatly depend on the way folks play it out.

If the interest in this fails fast, it would be short term, if the concept proves to be good fun, we don't really have to end it.

Merging them into the existing RP community might not be a viable option as the characters are created under different ideals, and the political views would differ greatly.

Yes 2 days are what we planned it on, for now Tuesday and Friday nights.

Both chosen to allow a weekday, when many players can find some time to play, and a weekend day, to allow a greater group at once to play.

The original community will not be eliminated, nor is this in any way the idea.

Personally I would see the Gangs of Britain fail before the original RP community eliminated.

Also, a viable point by Van, since I am horrible at PvP (read: lose all the time), but we have a new possibility here, so far the 4 members of City of Britain are crafters of sorts, and no struggles have come forth yet.

Perhaps as time goes on, it just progresses into a band of citizens trying to make Britain into the great city it once was, instead of gang forming.

Gang forming can still be done of course, for those who like combat and PvP, they should definately get some sort of situation going, where battles can come from.

By all means do, it will give the crafters of the land a chance to fix gear, heal wounded or just feed the victors. :)

So you've definately gone for creating it all on one guild instead of seperate guilds in a war ring?

I sort of see why they did this it keeps a tally and sides will be switched frequently so it'd eliminate the feelings of betrayal. But it still screwed up alchemy and make stealth to powerful, If I'm in an npc house private talking I just know some awful stealther will walk in blatantly and if I react to knowing it because they literally opened the door I'd get complaints of "How could you know I was there it could have been the wind"

"No it couldn't because I'd notice some one crawling through the mother f'n door if you were any sort of decent stealther you'd anticipate and be there early instead of following."

Sorry big pet peeve because most stealthers are terribad.

Secondly, the mage book issue is a major issue that needs to be worked out and no one who runs it has addressed it besides a thought that couldn't work because you can't inscribe scrolls without having them.

That is the original plan yes... however, to form a gang, some feats have to be accomplished, for one gathering the 25K for make the gang (guild forming) and a minimum of 3 gangmembers to start off with, one man gangs are not allowed.

Firstly I'm really sorry I haven't had time to answer more than few lines recently, worked 12 h yesterday and 12 h today and had an astronomy exam on Thursday. So been slightly busy :)

Sorry Esca, I've completely missed that post

My questions from the other page still stand.

I want it to be permanent. But its too early to say whether it'll be permanent, long, or short. It all depends on results and if people enjoyed it. Hopefully in a rather optimistic future, this project has grown enough to be somewhat interlaced with the worldwide guilds.

No. Or at least not in my vision. My vision is to make a role playing setting that's in proportion to the amount of members the community have. And still offer those who cannot pay for full accounts to have a place where they feel they can still utilize whatever skills they chose in a somewhat meaningful purpose. Having been quite active with recruiting new members to the community in the past. I just want there to be an enjoyable alternative for those who are interested but tell me "It's a shame UO costs, otherwise I'd stay."

As for trade, I can see it possible for the worldwide guilds to interact with the Britain trade in the future. But not now, and not in the grander scale.

Tuesdays and Fridays. If that works for people?

As I spoke with Anira about over ICQ. It's important for the community that guilds that are still active to continue being so and evolve. We got 2 days of official activity in Britain, many who've started to play in the project of Britain might become active the other days as well. And some might want to make an alternate character to explore the rest of the community outside of Britain. It's important that we have alternatives and that people know there is role-play the other days as well. I want people who doesn't take part of the project still feel that they can come to Britain and roleplay, as long as they respect the Ruleset.

I'd want people to view this project not only as an alternate setting of the roleplay compared to what we've been used to. But aswell a gateway for new players to easy get into the role-playing scene of Europa. Imagine if we'd manage to bring Britain to life so much, that new players would prefer to have their newbie period there, instead of New Haven. Instead of there being the same NPCs giving them the same tasks over and over, they could receive tasks and help from role-players. We'd be the first face they'd meet when starting playing, and I believe if we succeed with that, it's kind of invaluable for the community.

This is not a split of communities, it's a suggestion of action in regards of community activity, growth and organization. People that fail to see that make me feel a bit sad to be honest. I know many are protective about their old characters, current guilds and their influences/significances in the role playing community. But nothing in this suggestions design will in any way alter such influence. It's 2 days of official activity. And if more time is spent on role playing, all for the better.

I think the idea was to put everyone into one guild, and if and when a gang is formed, then you can split off into your own and become warred?

Gangs formed and Businesses formed will be separate guilds from City of Britain although warred with eachother.

Here's a draft I reckon will be enough to get this project started in the coming weeks. I'd say either on Friday this coming week or Tuesday in 2 weeks.

cobdraft.png

I will add an explanation on how I reckon the territories rivalry would work tomorrow.

As for:

Secondly, the mage book issue is a major issue that needs to be worked out and no one who runs it has addressed it besides a thought that couldn't work because you can't inscribe scrolls without having them.

That's true, I'm sorry its slipped my mind. Here's the suggestion which I added in the draft under businesses:

- Businesses are allowed to invest in items that may improve their business or make their products more exclusive.

Here I thought that we could compile a list of items which we feel can't be obtained due to the 3rd rule, but we should allow to be obtained and restricted for businesses. What comes to my mind is things like special dye tubs for tailors, a full spell book for inscriptions. However, these investments would be of a higher sum according to me. You also lose them if the business fold up.

Do add your comments about the draft, and the additions. But do wait with questions about territories and how they'd work, I'll try to write up an explanation tomorrow. :)

Oh right, forgot to say, we need some people that would be interested in playing the "Tax Collector" character now and then. He may get killed during his tax runs or may survive. I'd say we should just create a 14-day account for whenever he's needed? :) The City of Britain also needs a Banker, if someone feels the interest for that position.

When did this come surface? The community working together? In case you don't remember me I had many faces in Europa (not well known btw). Seeing you all work together restored my faith in the community. I'm going to come back in game as soon as I have money to re-activate my account. I'm all for this sign me up.

*grumbles*

Can't say as I'm fond of the days, personally, but I don't have any better ideas (except that a Saturday or Sunday play time may increase the American/cross shard audience eventually...). I'll just have to commit to part-time (possibly coming in late on Tuesdays and not making any commitments to Fridays) and limit my "plan" to being a follower. But I'll still do my best to jump in.