Leaving - Farewell from Escaflowne and Hanse

It is a sad day for me, and its hard to put it in words, but I'll try my best.

After 10 years of UO, 8 years of Vesper and pretty much 3 years at it's helm; it is time for me to depart from these lands.

For the past 8 months i have been debating this and tried to leave 4 times but have been talked out of it either by myself or others. But after giving it a lot of thought this past week my mind is 100% made up.

The Roleplay community and Vesper was the only thing that kept me in this game all these years. Now this has died for me.

I remember the golden ages of RP, the amount of players, the amount of guilds that were about, it was great. As it slowly shrunk there was tons of doomsayers saying it was dead and dieing but i never listened to them and kept pushing forward. And i still had some great final years even when the community was a mere shadow of what it was. But i guess everyone has their own personal point when the RP community gets too small and dead for them and mine is now.

As for Vesper, our command is inefficient like it is most the time. For some reason Vesper has been cursed for the past 3 years for never getting a fully operational command team. Im not blaming anyone on command, they are all great people and its RL troubles getting them down, it happens to the best of us. The community as a whole has a severe lack of leaders, or active ones at that which is why guilds are struggling and no new guilds are starting up or staying up.

Even if we had a fully active and operating command to carry out all the big ideas we have, i still wouldn't be performing my part as GM. I have pulled through tough times before, but i simply can't this time.

For the past 8 months or so i have been like an empty vessel just doing the bare minimum required as a GM. Theres has been no decent or interesting overlying storyarcs or big plots. We've mostly been doing the same stuff week in, week on with random big events.

I am completely drained of enthusiasm for UO, it is now a chor to play; and now i am completely drained of hope which was one of the only things keeping me going. The other thing that was keeping me going was fear of Vesper dieing and letting people down if there was no one to replace me; but i cannot keep torturing myself and making myself do something i don't want to do anymore because of that. It took the great Twothumb (previous Vesper GM) a year or so of drifting before he finally left and for me its taken 8 months. Im sure like me he kept gripping onto hope that that spark would come back and he would give it his all once more, but the truth is it doesn't come back. Not whilst playing anyway.

Everyone thought Vesper would die when Twothumb left but i managed to give it another 3 great years which i am happy with.

An old friend once said to me:

"Once a game becomes a job and it isn't fun anymore, then its no longer a game and its time to quit"

This is how i feel now.

I guess UO is just getting too old and outdated, its an eternal classic that's for sure, but i need to move on to other games.

I am at a major point in my life, i am young and at a cross roads where i need to get a job, decide what direction i want to take my life and what career to go into.

I no longer have the time or dedication to do UO, i will be retiring to casual gaming once more like i used to before i became GM, games that i can play when i want to or have time. Not ones i have to be on for 4 hours every night and do loads of work for guilds etc out of that time.

And simply i can't be bothered with the hardships of GM'ing anymore, i need a break from the leadership role and all the stress that comes with it.

There will be a command meeting held shortly to discuss the future of Vesper and if anyone will replace me as GM. You will be informed of what happens.

As for my characters IC:

Escaflowne - Simply disappears

Balgus - Returns to Wind his home city

Victor Macil - goes on a journey in search of Thaur

As for leaving, its the most depressing and hardest thing i've ever had to do in UO. I have loved this game, have so many great memories, cared for Vesper like my own child and put so much work into it. But its something i have to do. All good things must come to an end. I outlived most of my oldest and closest friends in UO (Beat you by a week Hanse you nublet :P), but now its my turn to jump ship too.

I went through my childhood and teenage years playing this game and have 10 years of great memories that i will cherish forever.

The worst bit of leaving is leaving all you great people behind, i consider all of you my great friends and have had great times playing with you all. You are who i will miss the most. Of course i'll still pop in from time to time.

Maybe one day i shall return and see if the RP community is going strong, maybe i'll revive Vesper if its dead, maybe i'll help out if its still going or maybe i'll go and create one of my many guild ideas. But for the foreseeable future i have no plans to return.

Heres to 10 great years of UO and making truly awesome friends. 8 years of being part of the greatest guild ever with the best members a GM could ask for and friends a person could ask for. Some leavers say they wasted their life on UO, but i regret none of the 10 years of the good times and i don't regret meeting all you great people.

I love you all!

-Drew Jones, Player of Escaflowne/Balgus.

See further down the page for Hanse's departing post.

It is a sad day for me, and its hard to put it in words, but I'll try my best.

...............The Roleplay community and Vesper was the only thing that kept me in this game all these years. Now this has died for me.

I remember the golden ages of RP, the amount of players, the amount of guilds that were about, it was great. As it slowly shrunk there was tons of doomsayers saying it was dead and dieing but i never listened to them and kept pushing forward. And i still had some great final years even when the community was a mere shadow of what it was. But i guess everyone has their own personal point when the RP community gets too small and dead for them and mine is now.

................. i will be retiring to casual gaming once more like i used to before i became GM, games that i can play when i want to or have time. Not ones i have to be on for 4 hours every night and do loads of work for guilds etc out of that time.

..............And simply i can't be bothered with the hardships of GM'ing anymore, i need a break from the leadership role and all the stress that comes with it.

..................As for leaving, its the most depressing and hardest thing i've ever had to do in UO. I have loved this game, have so many great memories, cared for Vesper like my own child and put so much work into it. But its something i have to do. All good things must come to an end.

The worst bit of leaving is leaving all you great people behind, i consider all of you my great friends and have had great times playing with you all. You are who i will miss the most.

Some leavers say they wasted their life on UO, but i regret none of the 10 years of the good times and i don't regret meeting all you great people.

I love you all!

-Drew Jones, Player of Escaflowne/Balgus.

:awww:

What a great leaving post Drew.

It IS a sad day when players such as yourself leave the game.

I for one can fully second all of the above.

UO was a fantastic game back in the day when there were x amount of guilds and Roleplayers to plan,plot with and against and roleplaywith into the early hours.

As a former GM,I know what its like to try head a guild and make it interesting every day of the week till you eat,breathe and live the game almost every waking moment you have spare.

As so many before you ,you have finally reached the point where,dedicated as we may of been,you just cant continue.

When Twoie left,I too wondered if/how Vesper would survive,and if anyone would take over who would have the same drive to keep it going.

I think you have a done a fantastic job though Drew and as you said,kept Vesper going for another 3 years.

I saw it wane a little at first,as that was just the way the game was going at that time,but you injected new life into it and achieved a difficult task bt bringing players back who had left for other pastures.

I take my hat off to you Drew and wish you well for the future.

Thanks for the fun times we had in UO :Salute:

Escaflowne has beaten me to the punch in posting, but I'll get down to it.

As many of you have heard, I too have also decided to quit UO - partly precipitating Escaflowne's departure as we were both largely here at eachother's request to spitroast the guild and give each of you the best of our meats. Recent events have been a harsh reminder that while apathy and indifference is common, our greatest problem in UO comes through one of the few common ways in which people do care - the long held grudges and the barriers they throw up to providing entertainment and roleplay - and thus barriers to what I enjoy about the game. We have struggled for many years to try and overcome this, ever hopeful that we and other guilds could turn a corner and move forward not only ourselves as guilds, but collectively as a community - not just to recover our losses in the past years, but to move beyond them into a new era for our guilds, and for our members. But the last few weeks have been a harsh reminder that while many will talk the talk, few will do so truthfully or respectfully, and fewer still will walk the walk in either case.

I first joined Vesper back in '98 when we were a rag-tag bunch in maroon and orange larking about at Vesper bank with many of our original founding fathers. In 2000 I was finally able to attain an officers rank and from there onward have (with a few breaks in between) generally served as either the AGM or right hand man to the vast majority of our fantastic leaders including Marco Neo, Slow, Elliott, Twothumb and of course Escaflowne. While many leaders have come and gone, including myself from time to time, I am both proud and glad to have been here helping the vast majority of them and the guild. Not just a guild, or collection of guilds, but the community within the community that we have been for more than a decade.

As a Guild, and an Alliance, we have been ever evolving, adapting, changing and moving forward finding new, interesting and exciting ways to introduce new players to a game and roleplay that will feed their addiction for years to come. Ways to entertain our members with the action that thrills them. To weave for them stories which they keep coming back to hear and finally to provide a narrative and isometric existence in which they, despite UO's shortcomings, can forget themselves, embrace and enjoy. I am also proud to have been a driving force behind many of these efforts.

I have seen twelve years of Vesparian roleplayers come and go, and I remember almost every one. While I can't always pick names out of a hat, I will always remember the great things they have done for themselves and for the guild. Every success story, every great personal triumph, every entertaining evening of tomfoolery, every epic saga to have been woven while I have been here. From Johan Silvermoon blowing the roof off the mage tower and landing in the ocean, to the climax of the epic Jordan Jurrel story right down to members simply learning how to use party and guild chats - every one of these things has brought me joy in UO, especially knowing that because of the things we have done others have been able to enjoy themselves in UO. Every one of you has mattered to this guild, and our long, glorious history as a guild in the past, present and future has always and will always be shaped by our members as much as the grandstanding of tactless folk like me.

For me personally however things in RL have become much harder, while at the same time UO has become much harder to enjoy. Personal vendettas and the occasional furious witch hunt for my balls on a platter aside after a gaffe, I too have entered a similar period in my life to Escaflowne. While under normal circumstances it would be plausible for me to continue leading or helping lead Vesper, the current climate demands so much more of a guild leader's time and energy than it should. The harsh reality of guild leadership in UO is that it is often unpleasant, time consuming, difficult and treacherous - particularly the last few years as the playerbase from which we recruit members alongside other guilds has shrunk dramatically and the competition intensified to the point of being more harmful than productive. While I hope the guild and the wider community continue to soldier on seeking to get the fun that is still here in UO and in RP, recent happenings have proven themselves the straw to break this camel's back. To be blunt I have simply lost hope in the notion that RP as it stands - a form which is unlikely to change with or without mine and Escaflowne's presence - can survive in UO, let alone the hope that we might expand, grow and evolve for the better in future the way we have done in the past. The game is simply too old to draw fresh blood, and even if it was here our current community is simply not ready to greet that new blood properly. Unlike Escaflowne I will likely not return to casual gaming, I will simply find a game that can actually be enjoyed without the drama and bastardry necessary to get or resulting from getting things done in UO as it is today.

I will not be here any more but having spent more than half my life as a part of this guild, it is my fond hope that our future leaders (should the guild continue to exist) will do everything for our members, and for the community that they can. Moreover I hope they are able to avoid the pitfalls we have stumbled on in the past, and perhaps achieve what our current leadership has tried for the past five years to do - put an end to the decline of the roleplaying scene.

So thank you and farewell to all of you in Vesper and beyond. I will still be using ICQ in the coming weeks should people have last-minute requests for advice and knowledge but will not be playing, and will not be changing my mind regarding my departure. So if you want my cleverest secrets to how I hand people their asses regularly in game and have a good reason to want to do so yourself, this is the time to try and get them from me.

I would in particular like to thank my fellow Davions - Matilda [from 1998], Larissa [1999], Arenhurr [2000], Hasek [2001], Draxen [2002], Lyonya [2004], Kanrey [2007] and Soraya [2009] who over the years have been many of my closest friends and reliable cohorts not only in making Vesper a better place, but (until now at least) silently and thanklessly aiding struggling and new guilds alike whenever the call has gone out in the past 8 years we have been arranging to do so. You guys have been the best, in a game and a guild filled with great people.

I have been known best as:

Hanse Davion, Warlock Lieutenant 1998-2010 [Vesper]

Angfan DeLucci, White Wytch 1999-2009 [The Crimson Claw / Vesper]

Annabelle/Anna, Tank You / Necromancer 1999-2008 [Delucian Mafia / Vesper]

Haleorn, Pride & Prejudice 2000-2007 [Delucian Defence Initiative, Minax]

Also less so as:

Antonius / Vond / Chase / Fiora Delucci / Raptrojo / Solanine / Anna / Izazi / RevengE / Tal.

My characters spread around other guilds in community (I still have one in almost every RP guild for a change of pace) it would no doubt be better to keep hidden, lest certain people in those guilds have a heart attack upon the realisation. The clever may still yet work out who I am likely to be though.

I'll always remember you folk though. Meanwhile although me and Escaflowne's time in UO may be over, we are already scheming on which MMO to make something great in next.

- Dave, player of Hanse.

Also Escaflowne, you ain't beaten me on anything yet. I still have one active account you nub. You haven't beaten me until that last day of gametime expires. Hah.

Sad, sad, times. Epic in proportions, it really is, and both Esca and Hanse, even after I left, would not leave me alone until I reactivated my account. I shall speak to you both on ICQ, unfortunately I have to agree with everything that has been said, a GM needs a huge amount of time to inject into the guild, time which the majority, including myself, just don't have.

I don't really know what to say. I've known it was coming for a long time now, and even though I'm no longer in the guild I want to thank you for the best year in UO I've ever had. It went a lot further than just figurines on a screen - Esca, you were always there when I needed to talk, and always a good and close friend. You're an absolutely amazing person, and I hope you go rock that world out there. :) Show them what the Bearman is made of. You two were often inspiring with the amount of work and dedication you put into the guild, and for me, you were Vesper. I hope your leaving doesn't mean you'll disappear off ICQ - it would be a shame to lose such good friends.

As sad as it is to see you leave UO, and Vesper, I can understand why and wish you all the best for your decisions in life and sorting out the great big mess labeled "future".

Thank you for all you've done for us.

It's been a pleasure roleplaying with both of you, Your leadership and effort you put into Vesper was the best I had ever seen in a guild you will both be sorely missed.

A sad sad day for Europa RP, I only hope it recovers and doesn't continue in this sad decline.

I haven't been able to really dedicate much time to Vesper, given my school and work schedule compounding the time zone problems. (One reason I never went for promotions or anything)

But the times I have been able to attend events and training, have been some of the best RP i've had in UO.

You guys will be missed. Good luck in whatever you two decide to do in the future, and you'll always be welcomed here at UOForums.

WoW, I saw this and almost fell out of my chair! I understand both your feelings in departing. As a former member of BOC, I have had the honor of RPing with both of you as a friend, Allied, and Enemy of BOC. You always were great in your roles. I hope the best for both of you in whatever path you take down the road.

God bless and take care

Takeamada (Former Grenadier of Cove)

Edward Striker (Former Owner of the Green Goblin Tavern & Inn)

Dear Esca and Hanse!

I totaly understand your points and i am also struggling once again if i should close my accounts or keep them alive untill i find my passion to play UO again.

Since April i did not really play anymore, after you Esca talked me back into the game approx. a year and a half ago.

It gave me another nice and funny year with UO and Vesper. I even tried to get KMK back on track, but this desperately failed because of the low player base and because most of the "old" players don't have the time or passion for UO anymore. Just like myself...

So i understand how you feel with trying to make playing the game worth for others, but loose the fun for yourself in the end.

I thought i could get my fun back with beeing the Mayor of the city....but i think this was allready a month to late for me as whenever i logged on, i had the strange feeling that it would be some kind of pressure to play.

So i decided to take a break and must admid that i enjoy the free time more then the time i play UO.

Which is sad for me at the same time.

I closed my account around 2006 to be back for a few month in 2007 and then from March 2009 again! All these memories since 2000 are burned inside my brain! I know more names from UO Chars then people in my RL....this is more then strange!!

Anyway, i think i will not close my acocunt for now....but i will most likely not play at least till Autumn and then give it a last try...if the game or Vesper will still be there.

I hope that i can stay in touch with both of you Esca and Hanse!

By the way Hanse...Annabell was also in KMK aswell as Hanse! You should better add that :)))) To honor one of the greatest guilds (besides -V-)

We should all keep in mind the times we enjoyed and the people we played with.

I allways find it depressing to see that after people stop playing they will also stop keeping in touch!

So i hope to see you both here and there on ICQ or the book of faces as it has been named here.

If you like to add me, leave me a short PM or ICQ message and i reveal my real name :)

Untill then i wish you all the best with whatever you do and keep in touch!

Icerian Taglefar of KMK

Frost of -V-

Well, If a new command can't be put in place this may be one of the biggest chucks taken out of an RP community, I had no idea there were bigger doomsayers than me around and that's really saying something.

I was kinda pushed into Vesper army on the whim of making a mage so I could see what all the fuss was about you hanse, I never actually got to see it unfortunately. I've been told three different opinions of you "You're a blow hard who's full of it" was the very first one so I figured I'd see the other two were along the lines of "His egos so big it could sink all the islands in vesper" which may be true some told me you deserved it other not so much but I'd have liked to see it myself, although I did learn a few things I guess I'm not sure it'll be the same knowing a whole different command will be put in place.

As for Rhett I'm not sure what I'll do with him if Vesper disappears.

And as I told Esca over ICQ, "When you do leave, Go out see the world, enjoy life, collect a harem, and don't forget to wrap it up."

It is indeed a say day for me. For europa Roleplaying, for everyone who came into contact with you. I completely understand you're reasonings, having quit several times myself. However there's no other game out there that quite matches UO for its community, even a shrunken one.

I'll miss you both, until hopefully one day you both return. All the best with anything you decide to do.

Dave, player of Garrick Adraldor.

I'm gonna miss you two so incredible much. :(

Just dont turn strangers on me, alright?

Please log on ICQ or MSN to chat with me now and then.

And best luck with whatever you decide to do - Oh and if you find another game, lemme know which one! ;)

Just returned yesterday and this topic of you two leaving seems to be what all are saying to me, must say had a read of both your'e farewells and shame to see how you felt.

As Becca said, get on icq so you dont loose out on the actual friends you made here and I shall be sure to try and be nicer to you when we do actually talk!

Good luck out there you two xxx :D

a sad day for EU RP indeed. a new beginning for you guys.

You have both done a wonderful job with Vesper. I thank you both for all work you've put into Vesper.

This makes it alot easier for me as well... not coming back.

My life is currently a bit messed up again.. But it just makes me stronger.

If you feel like playing some Orc/uruk/spider/warg in future.. I'd welcome you both to our Tribe on Snowbourn server. (Dont need to lvl to play monsterclass, just pvp)

Solid group of players with Vent. We are not that serious, we play to have a laugh with people we like. Give me a pm if interessted.

Once again.. Thanks for all you've done for EU RP and Vesper!

Wow, truly shocked. Anyways Esca and Hanse, you two were among the most influential Vesperian characters there ever was. Good luck in whatever you do, and probably see you in SWTOR Escabear ;) I had just reactivated my account but closed it again, I too can't seem to rekindle the spark that I once had for UO.

Good luck! :)

For years you taught me alot... now you both depart.

What about making a spawning character and joining me on Drachs?

Finish all spawns, do one or two harrowers... become wolfish Feluccans.

Just a thought... :)

Oh 'Flowne, what ARE you thinking, I mean honestly!?

Firstly; "Heh, you're Victor Macil!?"

Secondly; "Heh, you're Balgus!? Did I know that or did I forget?"

Thirdly; I completely understand the reasoning behind your so called final decision to leave Britannia, you've got your life and everything plus s'a bit of a dry period as far as acitivity is concerned. But c'mon chief, you can't just LEAVE (well you CAN, but we'll forget that for now). While I appreciate that I can't relate to your predicament entirely having never been remotely responsible for well, anything, s'still no justification for taking "the big leap".

As I said to Celedrith after confirming that your "LEAVING UO SALE" vendor was actually legitimate; "no-one is allowed to quit UO unless you're living in a cardboard box and stealing WiFi and even then is it only partially acceptable since the theft of gametime codes is still a possibility". I can only imagine how hard it must be to shoulder guild leadership, especially in terms of making the game an absolute chore, nobody wants to experience that. The bad blood and bickering that rears it's head from time to time is never going to produce a pleasant gaming environment, but meh, rough with the smooth. I'm not trying to belittle or dismiss your reasons of course, the fact that you've decided to quit at all speaks volumes of the effect they've had on you.

But c'mon, do you really have to quit!? And this applies to you too Hanse and Tabbitha (Side note; Wow, you were in the Delucian Mafia, Hanse? Suddenly the mystery surrounding the PvP prowess is lifted). Just take a break, do whatever you have to, pretend you've quit and get a t-shirt that tells the world, instruct your bank to change the "EA" entry on your statement to "mortgage repayments" if it makes you happy, just for the love of God, don't quit !

All three of you have made a tremendous contribution to the community on Europa, as Hanse very succinctly pointed out, and as many people unaware of these decisions will doubtless tell you. Please don't leave these contributions as mere memories of ex-players, leave your accounts open and see what the next month or year brings, providing we're all still here, that is.

*touches wood*

Seriously though, please don't go entirely, you're all great people and Britannia needs great people. I know how invigorating it can feel to finally cast off the shackles of something that you've felt has weighed you down for far too long, but trust me, UO is not one of those things, you'll need to come back (if only to be present for the last gasp). By all means live your lives, move on, try other games, get jobs, reap, sow and be merry, just don't close your accounts if you can afford it. If you can't afford it, please leave the address of your cardboard box and I'll help you drag it to the nearest WiFi hotspot after we go shoplifiting in HMV.

Anyhoo....

You're all awesome.

You've all done great things.

You'll all be missed.

And you're all gaylords if you close those accounts.

Take care and I hope to see you all in the future.

(PS; Cove is recruiting =))