New -- Making Europa My Home

I'm brand new to UO, but from reading other posts it sounds like the shard that suits my playing preferences best.

So my questions are:

• How friendly/helpful are the other players towards newbies?
  • Are there any RP guilds that would take a player such as myself*?
  • Are there any race/class combos I should avoid so as not to make it difficult to join most RP guilds? (i.e. I saw the undead and vampire faces in chargen -- So would playing one make things difficult?)

* While I am brand new to UO, I am not new to MMOs or role-playing within them. Ideally I would love to join an active RP guild who are friendly and patient folks who won't mind the occasional (Or frequent) newbie question.

Thanks in advance!

Since I don't have to be Mr Impartial Lead Moderator, now that you're outright asking about guilds....

....Vesper is recruiting! We accept any and all*!

*Vampires, Drow, and any 'evil' races are not permitted. Necromancy is banned within the city limits.

Check the Recruitment forum in the Europa Guilds section of UOF.

• How friendly/helpful are the other players towards newbies?
  • Are there any RP guilds that would take a player such as myself*?
  • Are there any race/class combos I should avoid so as not to make it difficult to join most RP guilds?

1) Impossible to say. Some people will be more open than others.

2) You'll find most people sympathetic, I should think. Provided you aren't dropping OOC every five minutes to ask how to use bandages or open doors, you'll be fine just about anywhere.

3) That's wholely down to the guilds you join. But don't fall into the trap of thinking Duchy of Trinsic = Open to Everything, or Guardsmen Militia = Obssessively Picky. Just about every guild has it's restrictions, and all have room for creativity. So long as it isn't too far fetched you should be fine just about everywhere.

What kind of enviroment would you be looking to roleplay in?

Most guilds do have their own sort of area, though. For the most part, your skill or experience at playing the game doesn't matter as long as you're willing to learn. Most people are helpful, regardless of their IC attitudes.

I am very willing to learn. In other MMOs most people think I am friendly, as well as helpful once I know the game.

Pretty much anything that is active, friendly has that sort of 'one big happy family' atmosphere.
That doesn't narrow it down a great deal, though if I had to make a suggestion based on that alone, I'd probably point to Vesper. But like I said before, it's best not to limit yourself. So experiment a little. Spread your five character slots out until you've found your place. It may take a while, but it'll be worth it.

A list of (most) active guilds can be found on the shard's wiki; Europa - MoongatesWiki

Should probably point out that many of those pages are in need of updating, though they may help you get a feel for the guilds in question.

Incidentally, the guild of Vesper needs a page. So if any of it's members are reading..

That doesn't narrow it down a great deal, though if I had to make a suggestion based on that alone, I'd probably point to Vesper. But like I said before, it's best not to limit yourself. So experiment a little. Spread your five character slots out until you've found your place. It may take a while, but it'll be worth it.

A list of (most) active guilds can be found on the shard's wiki; Europa - MoongatesWiki

That's mostly because I like almost any sort of RP environment -- It would be easier to list what I don't want to be a part of, than what I do. And I am not a huge fan of being a lone wolf, so kind of what to get involved with a guild from the start -- Or as close as I can manage.

I am definitely interested in Vesper, and sent Corvak a PM with a couple of minor questions.

• 2 weeks later...