I have been in the market this past week to get a URL for my professional organization. I saw on GoDaddy.com that they are $14-$18 per month. Really depends on the amount of storage needed for graphics to go on the site.

Being a long-term need, I am looking for reputable sites. I haven't gone much farther than that in searching. I imagine there are many others.

I am assuming that their is a cost similarity among the URL providers.

If any know of other long-term sites, please post.

Darla

hey guys, don't get ripped off!

A domain name, that is *just the name* only costs $10 if it is .com if you buy it at Godaddy, which is more or less the largest domain name seller(also called a registrar) in the world.

Once you own the name, you have to have it point to a server that has all the html files on it. This is called web hosting. GoDaddy also has pretty cheap webhosting, like $4 per month.

Once you have that, you can either write your own html files and upload them to your webhosting space or you can install a program in your webhosting to let you design them graphically.

I am simplifying a lot here and if you really want a sharp looking site you will either need to invest some time to builf your knowledge or some money to pay someone else to do it.

Let us go over this with an example.

I want to have a website called AdamIsEvil.com

I go to GoDaddy.com and type in AdamIsEvil and search to see if it's already taken. Ok, as of right now, no one else owns it!

I then setup an account with GoDaddy, the usual stuff like name, address, email, phone number, etc. and then purchase AdamIsEvil.com for $9.99(plus whatever tax if there is any, I think GoDaddy is based out of Arizona).

I now own the name, but that's it. If someone puts AdamIsEvil.com in their web browser, it won't really do anything.

So now I need web hosting(unless I want to get a special type of IP address for my home computer and run a webserver on it, which takes technial expertise as well as security knowledge). Many, many, MANY companies offer webhosting. Some are so cheap theyre almost giving it away. Some are free, but require banner ads. I'd choose GoDaddy because I already have an account there and they have a fairly good reputation. Their basic webhosting costs about $4 per month.

Ok so now I own the name AdamIsEvil.com and have webhosting for it. But I still don't have anything there for people to see. I will need to know how to create html files and then upload them to my web hosting space.

html is a language, altho it's not a programming language like BASIC or C++ or java. It's a markup language, that is it describes how a page with text and pictures should look like. You can make a career out of knowing html and doing web design, it is that extensive and involving when done well. Perhaps if youre just starting off, you can just do a basic page in with an html editor and then upload the page to the web hosting space. While the first two steps of getting a domain name and then some web hosting can both be done in 30 minutes, learning html can take a few hours the first time and quite a long time to learn well. Best bet is get someone you know and trust to either guide you through this part or start reading, there are many excellent resources on the web.

I'm such a tard. I bought the damn domain thinking I wouldn't have to pay a monthly fee on a website and turns out I just bought a freaking name!!!! Dammit!!! Oh well, I'm the not-so proud owner of http://www.rpgboards.com.

I have free hosting with Godaddy and paid for email plus a renewal on the url's registration. I have no idea what the hell I'm doing!!! :D

I can't remember if Godaddy comes with any automatic software installations.

Sometimes servers (like the UOF one) has a piece of software called Fantastico, which automatically installs popular programs like bulletin boards, blogs, wikis etc.

What are you wanting to setup? a forum?

One word of caution with GoDaddy: While they are pretty well-priced and have excellent customer service, their sales people are pretty pushy and may try to sell you a LOT of stuff. I would certainly get the domain privacy, but only buy other stuff as you need it.

And since youre starting a new website, don't let them try to stick you some mega-deluxe hosting plan, you simply won't need the bandwidth or a private server til youre getting thousands and thousands of people visiting your website each day.

One word of caution with GoDaddy: While they are pretty well-priced and have excellent customer service, their sales people are pretty pushy and may try to sell you a LOT of stuff. I would certainly get the domain privacy, but only buy other stuff as you need it.

And since youre starting a new website, don't let them try to stick you some mega-deluxe hosting plan, you simply won't need the bandwidth or a private server til youre getting thousands and thousands of people visiting your website each day.

QFT - This is one thing that they tried to sell us, the mega hosting plans, but backed down when we told them we're hosting it ourselves. Can't blame them too much though, they are just doing their job. But yea, great point brought up.

From memory, I knew someone who worked at Godaddy's sales department and he claimed that Godaddy make very little, if anything at all from domain sales, so they try and push other products down your throat to make a profit

Sure explains the multitude of "Special offers" and "Last minute deals" you get when you buy something on their website, there's tons of stuff they try and sell you during the checkout process heh.

Heheh, reminds me of futureshop employees when they used to work on comission, til they started losing business to another store that didn't operate that way. If you start carrying something youre gonna buy around the store, they were on you like bloody vultures.