UoForums URL now allowed in game (Updated - 6th September)

Well Jeremy just wrote me not 20mins ago that it is Okay for me to say http://www.uoforums.com

Sooooo umm yeah. Id say its AOkay since she knows the rules much better then anyone else on here hehe.

The first two lines where are they located and do they link with ads was for the other website I asked about.

I would advise that people just err on the side of caution and do NOT mention any site url's in game AT ALL.

The situation is getting far to tenous with regards to who can and cant be mentioned.

Just my 2 penneth.

Aye Uoforums asks for a donation so its a no no.

Sorry to have to say this but im going to be shuting down the PaxOku city forums here and moving to stratics.

I cant direct my guildmembers, community or friends here so really no point in being apart of Uoforums.

Depressing that since EA/Mythic took over, so little has been done to build the UO community, but so many decisions that damage it have been driven through regardless.

I've also mailed Bob, but have little hope we'll get anywhere. Even if they do set up an 'approved sites' program again, it will be weeks before it's properly active and it won't repair the damage done in the meantime.

Probably time to pass on the stuff on from my accounts and close them down, I can't even work up the enthusiasm to fire the game up lately with the appaling way EA/Mythic have been treating their customers. :'(

Depressing that since EA/Mythic took over, so little has been done to build the UO community, but so many decisions that damage it have been driven through regardless.

I've also mailed Bob, but have little hope we'll get anywhere. Even if they do set up an 'approved sites' program again, it will be weeks before it's properly active and it won't repair the damage done in the meantime.

Probably time to pass on the stuff on from my accounts and close them down, I can't even work up the enthusiasm to fire the game up lately with the appaling way EA/Mythic have been treating their customers. :'(

That's the only way to be heard, still not gauranteed they'll do anything about it as that may be their intent in the first place.

Is this true we can't talk about uoforums in the game? I always talk about this website in the game. I tell everyone that I know that how great this site is, how it has the greatest community support, and how great the people are here.

*shakes head*

It is really sad that we can't tell the new players of UO that do not know about this site...how wonder of a place uoforums is.

Is this true we can't talk about uoforums in the game?

You can say "uoforums", but you can't say "Uoforums.com"

Stupid isn't it?

Apparently a "Donate" page means our site is now un-mentionable in game.

Robert replied to my email with

Adam,

I am looking into this further with an eye towards doing a review of the intent of the policy vs the current actual wording and implementation. I’m not promising any changes, to be clear as there are a number of factors at play here, but obviously there is an urgent need to review this policy internally.

Bob

"I remain sceptical", is my first thought.

They don't seem that bothered about it all, to be honest

The idea of this whole thing is crazy. imo EA or UO, whoever, just isn't willing to invest time and money into correcting the exploits in the game. I'm not sure how it is now, but before I would wait HOURS and give up usually before a GM would ever come to help me. I don't understand how they can actively police this policy. I know a person has to page, but come on.... they take 8 years to talk to you about re-deeding your banner, so now they're going to take more time out to go visit your webpage and deem it legal or not? Are they hiring more GM's?

I just wish they'd accept that this is partly their fault for not being proactive. For letting exploits go and not putting policies in place previously to prevent gold selling etc. Like WoW may not be able to catch everyone, but they do try to filter out mail etc with high levels of gold attached. They've gone after/sued people using/creating bots to farm etc. Again this takes time & money but they're working on it.

I feel like in the end they're just hurting the fans of the game and people who try to bring life back into the game (i.e. WRR and their deal or no deal game). They're hurting the community and their faithful players. They're not hurting some one who wants to buy gold or items really. Everyone already knows most of the websites, and i'm sure if you google "BUY UO GOLD" you'd find a ton of hits.

Is UO the only game that that you know of that prohibits mentioning websites with adds on it?

*Disclaimer: I have not played UO in several years, nor am I 100% update to with everything going on. This is just my opinion from what I've gathered, which may be partly wrong.

So I wonder if a person could get into trouble by saying something in game like "Just google uoforums to find it" Or if Whispering Rose Raido could start having the fans shout "Dot com" each time one of their staff shouts "WRR". Or could say in a conversation "just add dot com to uoforums"

Actually, from the nature of the response in business-speak, it sounds promising and is about as much as can be hoped for. I bet there will be a policy change or at least some sort of announcement or clarification within the coming week.

I disagree, based on previous email correspondence I've had with Bob.

I won't be rude about the guy on a public forum, but at least three times back in Jan/Feb, he promised our forum would be used as a source of feedback for the events that were run

But they weren't

And on the 22nd of feb, I was told "I will follow up with you next week.", but that didn't happen either

Infact, it wasn't until the 14th of July after 2 emails from me, did he reply again.

And I was told back then "but we will talk more in the coming weeks as there are plans in the works."...any guesses as to whether that took place either? Well, it didn't.

I did get an apology for the silence, but it's just words, no actual action.

Hence my scepticism.

I respect the fact the UO team is busy, but it's ......I don't know anymore.:(

Based on your experience, I would feel the same way. However, some things have changed, esp with UOF having a lot more users and a larger portion of the community here now. I'm trying to remain hopeful and optimistic. I work on UOGuide a lot and was angry and JC probably heard more of my ranting last night than he needed.

One idea I came up with this morning is if some fan sites got certified for privacy and security along the lines of TRUSTe or McAfeeSecure(formerly HackerSafe). That way EA/Mythic can't just blame privacy/security issues. Of course, there will be an initial investment to get certified, but for either profit sites or appropriately popular fansites, this is just an obstacle to overcome.

Based on your experience, I would feel the same way. However, some things have changed, esp with UOF having a lot more users and a larger portion of the community here now. I'm trying to remain hopeful and optimistic. I work on UOGuide a lot and was angry and JC probably heard more of my ranting last night than he needed.

One idea I came up with this morning is if some fan sites got certified for privacy and security along the lines of TRUSTe or McAfeeSecure(formerly HackerSafe). That way EA/Mythic can't just blame privacy/security issues. Of course, there will be an initial investment to get certified, but for either profit sites or appropriately popular fansites, this is just an obstacle to overcome.

UOF has changed, sure, but EA has not

Trust me, I've worked with their community teams for almost 5 years now

If anything, some things are worse now since Mythic has taken over, especially with regards to community fansites.

(Cancellation of the fansite program for UO, despite having one for Warhammer is a good example)

Hackersafe/Truste is only for sites which sell items, and need the security seals (Please correct me if i'm wrong)

Personal information is never submitted on UOforums, except Email address

Sure we could add SSL encryption to the site, but that'd slow it down a fair bit, not to mention it might not work with all aspects of the forum and it's addons

That's an excellent point, and reading a lot of the... "lively" messages by people both here and at Stratics, I think people should pause a moment and remember the devs and esp Jeremy arent making a lot of these decisions, it comes from higher up, theyre just the messengers, so bashing them serves to only muddy the waters. Im sure a fansite certification program would be one of the 3 wishes Jeremy would pick right now if she found a genie lamp on her desk, lol

What other possible solutions can be constructively proposed so that everyone(fansite operators, EA lawyers, devs, community, etc.) is happy? The more options on the table, the more good discussion can ensue.

It makes me wonder what underlying issues brought about this change in policy. I know there had always been a rule about not advertising sites selling items for real money, but not against sites with advertising.

Advertising helps pay for sites, especially sites like UOForums, Stratics, etc.

i don't understand how they can exempt one site and say "yes they have a ton of ads but we don't care" and not exempt others or let others apply for the same exemption.

Im sure a fansite certification program would be one of the 3 wishes Jeremy would pick right now if she found a genie lamp on her desk, lol

Unfortunatly not

Jeremy doesn't WANT a fansite program

Her words were

"Now we don’t have an official list, and I can stay out of some of the drama."

and

"Because of the vast potential for drama. It’s Sanya’s standard policy, and having done it several different ways, I like it much, much better."

Have to disagree with you there, most all the devs are also avid players of UO. Many times they will post long after office hours. For a while, there were new Publishes every few weeks. Having worked in that kind of environment, pushing out builds every few weeks is exhausting while other games maybe do it every month or three. Regularly when a new dev introduces themself, they allude to having the single-player games in the distant past, these arent people you can just dial up from Monster.com. Some of the improvements are what have re-kindled my interest in UO, such as the Housing and ore/lumber spawn changes, Spring Cleaning, etc. to name a recent few.

Even if it's coming from the top (which I doubt), these people are getting paid to do a job, a job they claim they have a passion for, yet fail to do much of anything to improve it.

Well maybe she'll get an intern to bother with checking out sites so she doesnt have to do it, lol. There has to be another way.

A lot of the UO "community" exists outside of the game, namely websites such as this, UOGuide, WRR, etc. and sooner or later the effects of alienating them will become quite apparent. The sooner this is realized by whoever is sitting in the corner office and changes made the better for all.

Unfortunatly not

Jeremy doesn't WANT a fansite program

Her words were

"Now we don’t have an official list, and I can stay out of some of the drama."

and

"Because of the vast potential for drama. It’s Sanya’s standard policy, and having done it several different ways, I like it much, much better."

A lot of the UO "community" exists outside of the game, namely websites such as this, UOGuide, WRR, etc. and sooner or later the effects of alienating them will become quite apparent. The sooner this is realized by whoever is sitting in the corner office and changes made the better for all.

Agreed. :)

But will it?

heh

Actually, from the nature of the response in business-speak, it sounds promising and is about as much as can be hoped for. I bet there will be a policy change or at least some sort of announcement or clarification within the coming week.

Maybe, but I doubt it, and there's little sign anything happens that quickly in EA/Mythic's empire nowadays anyway- but it will certainly be AFTER the damage has been done.

It's impressive how they have managed to do more damage to the concept of 'community' for UO than EA managed on their own. I can well understand how people suspect it's deliberate, because it's certainly hard to see how they can keep piling mistake on mistake if they are competent at community handling.

But will it?

heh

Nope. They have no reason to worry about anyone but the people/sites they have pseudo relationships with. So why would they note/care what happens to other fan sites?

Cynical, i know, but it happens.

But will it?

heh

Sadly, my crystal ball only works for the stock market, lottery numbers and Astros games. Originally, I said a week, but after your additional info regarding past experiences, how about taking up my offer to bet a million gold for a change in 2 weeks? There's got to be some fun/humor somewhere in this whole mess, lol

Maybe, but I doubt it, and there's little sign anything happens that quickly in EA/Mythic's empire nowadays anyway- but it will certainly be AFTER the damage has been done.

It's impressive how they have managed to do more damage to the concept of 'community' for UO than EA managed on their own. I can well understand how people suspect it's deliberate, because it's certainly hard to see how they can keep piling mistake on mistake if they are competent at community handling.

I 2nd this

I don't plan on leaving UoF as in posting and reading its forums and such. It was just last night members kept asking me in game where our forums were and I didn't want to risk my account and everything to write Uoforums.com etc.

We use recruiting books and some don't use messengers they only use in game and forums and I couldn't even tell new people where to learn more about us.

But after a long process of trying to figure something out I think I came up with it....cuz (This isn't a bash)

But id rather commit suicide then have my forums on stratics. I don't mind going there to read certain areas but to have to be apart of it is just to much. I am on enough UO medications as is....just look at my signature.

So anyhow this is my loop hole on being able to still give the entire PaxLair Statehood and OkuC the ability to tell people how to get to uoforums. So here is my plan and I am going to run it by EA before doing so. Plus PaxLair needs to fix one thing before I implement this because we are illegal to say in game as well.

Now this is the other email I got. Jeremy personally went to PaxLair.com and checked our links and other information.

pax.jpg

Now I know she didn't say anything about donations but were not linking to direct websites selling in game stuff. We are connecting to our PaxLair, PaxOku forums.

Since it was checked and these are the links we have on Paxlair.com

pax2.jpg

As you can see we list Stratics, UoForums, Whispering Rose Radio, old UoRadio and a few other sites. Which these links have been checked. I think if EA tried to tell a website what they can and cannot have for links something has to be illegal somewhere in there...lest I hope heh.

Also Calendar links

pax3.jpg

Now if this doesn't work and loopholes cannot be found then my last a final idea would be to protest. It is very very simple every time their is a Uo Town Hall all we hear about is $$. So if you really do care about Uoforums, Uoguide or whatever else community websites are illegal and some reason Stratics isn't and you really do disagree with what they are doing then you need to use the only power you have....it's something many ladys know and men it's time to learn this power. (just a joke not sexist)

The Power Of The Check Book.

You don't like something a company is doing? You don't agree with it? Then don't pay them. Now I know people can say all day Oh ill do it, ill do it. But really you gotta make sure you have people that will do it and also those that say they have twenty accounts and don't they have one make sure they do have what they say hehe. Start a post add names to it the number of accounts they have. Like id write

Gareth 7accounts 12.99 (Don't remember exact price) $90.93 a month.

Community Impact-

-Destruction of the Player Run City of PaxOku (Chesapeake Homare-Jima Tokuno)

-Dissolving of OkuC Crafters Guild 60+ show real membership.

-Shutdown of over 7 community events and projects that run weekly on Chesapeake.

(Now destruction means half of the city will fall from that 90day decay thingy. Then I would simply just go to http://www.darkfallonline.com/ and play that game waaay over EA.)

I'm sure if you hit a good price number that they will lose in a month maybe they will perk up and listen.

If they don't and they call your bluff and everyone who said they would deactivate will deactivate.

(I wouldn't mind deactivating. In school anyways and if the 90decay hit and houses were gone I wouldn't come back to UO)

Seems I was slightly over-cynical, since EA/Mythic have indeed moved pretty quickly to get a more rational solution to the 'problem' they are trying to resolve!

Hopefully, they have picked up one thing from this though - talk to the people before leaping off and trying to 'solve' a not particularly urgent issue, and most likely the result is a far better and sounder resolution than anything achieved by diving in head first with a "great idea".

Use the community you claim to be so 'proud' of, EA/Mythic - you'll find it works better than imposing on it!