I created a play test char on test center just to see how tough I could make one. He had 70s in everything. He had 100% DI and Legendary in every warrior skill. Maces, Tactics, Anatomy, Healing, Parry and Bushido.

An Oni killed me in 5 hits (not kidding) with hardly any damage to him. Are these impossible to take on one-on-one? Made me look like an Ettin next to a GM warrior and he was 120 in everything.

Doesn't really make me look forward to spending the next year beefing up my char just to face something like that. lol!

[EDIT] Also mentioning... he had 20 Hit Point Regeneration, 150 STR and 135 DEX with 30 INT.

I do have a character who I use to farm oni on occasion.

When I did it, he had this template:

115 mace

100 tactics

100 bushido

100 parry

100 necromancy

110 spirit speak

And about 75 chivalry

I used wraith form to fight in, and curse weapon to heal myself. I fought in the darkwood suit for hit point regeneration and defense chance increase. I had 20% damage increase on both my ring and bracelet (as well as +skill gains).

There are surprisingly few things in game that a wraith form character have trouble killing, and those only because you can't run away to heal (paragon balrons, for example) as the monster moves faster than your running speed.

Onis aren't all that hard really, seems like you were extremely unlucky and/or used some completely wrong moves and tactics. Or possibly a wrong weapon type for macing, even?

Since you had bushido and parry, evasion should've let you stand toe-to-toe somewhat easily while honoring the Oni and lightning striking the bejesus out of it. With some unlucky hit/spell combo you might have to break off to heal, but all in all they're far from impossible.

EDIT: oh yeah, maximum DCI would've gone a long way to help with the fight

EDIT: oh yeah, maximum DCI would've gone a long way to help with the fight

As Adrianna notes, DCI is often more important than HPR in this situation. Good HPR is useful, but if you get hit...:P all the HPR in the world won't save you. Onis hit real hard. I'll try to get the base damage of one and do some calculations for you in a sec, OP.

Okay, the Oni I lored has 831 STR and a base damage of 14-20. It won't often have 100 tact and 100 anat, but if it did, it would do anywhere from 20-29 damage a hit against 70 resists, in melee. Also, it is weakest to cold damage, so you would want to focus on using a weapon that does primarily cold damage.

Hmm. A fully trained dolphin would do 2-4 damage a hit in melee. Interesting, this one has 110 mana ;D. And 75 dex...must be hard to move in water though, it had 74/75 stam.

As a side note, the thing I find hard about fighting Oni is that a few of the weapons they use do not have sounds! I am too used to listening to my attacker's sound to know whether i am hit or not, and sometimes the Oni's weapon is stealthy.