Only thing I know so far is that my building on Siege has been demolished. I'm trying to send a message to EA, but the support site is a nag to get throug ;)

Lucky for me this wasnt my main account. Can't see that anything else than the building gone. And the gold most probably.

I just have to wonder how this keeps happening. Do people send links to pages and somehow thats how they can hack? If anyone has any suggestions on how to prevent this, I would surely appreciate it. I have worked too hard and too long on my acct just to lose it all.

I just have to wonder how this keeps happening. Do people send links to pages and somehow thats how they can hack? If anyone has any suggestions on how to prevent this, I would surely appreciate it. I have worked too hard and too long on my acct just to lose it all.

- Don't use your account eMail for anything else

(that's the one I always hear...)

- Don't give anyone your accountname and/or password

(they may be your buggy IG/RL, but greed can make people do weird things)

- Do not open eMail-attachments which look weird to you. Same goes for websites - do not click on every link you come across, you might otherwise wind up with ie a cookiegrabber.

Those are all I can think of right now. Especially the last one is hard to follow, since like just last week I was searching for some details on something (information why one of the sites I visited doesn't work anymore, before anyone asks), googled it and saw a preview of something that looked well written with good information. So I clicked on it, the site was fine... until about a minute later when I found out that someone had put a little more into that site. ;) Suddenly a mass of... uh... sexual pictures came up with a very loud soundfile...

Nothing happened in the end though (since my comp's security stuff went into action), but just tought me again how easy it is to land on a wrong site sometimes... :(

EDIT:

Just remembered... also never use your account/password for your UO account for anything else. Like say if my UO account were "Ceridwen" with the same password as here... Adam might be able to have a little peek at my account. ;)

Not saying it would happen here, but it's amazing what information admins have... and not all UO-sites out there are trustworthy.

One last question please, I use ICQ and occasionally it will come across that "so and so" has added you. I always put a block on these because of the inherent problems. Is it possible that hacking info can come from adding unknown people to your icq contacts?

I have removed Vilhjalm from the guild for the time being. I'm very sad to hear this, considering the time and energy you've put in to that account lately. :(

You are never 100 % secure from crackers. The best way to avoid getting cracked is to never accept or do anything that looks in the last bit suspicious. The password of your account could have been compromised by sending the password over to a friend by ICQ (check that you're using a secure ICQ client). The same thing might have happened if you're using an insecure e-mail client. If you previously have accepted a file transfer, this might have been the source for a trojan on your system, that included a keylogger that sends everything you type to the cracker.

It might also be that your password was generally an easy one to guess, which is the most common case. Passwords should include small and big letters, numbers and special signs to ensure maximum security. This way password guessers will be very lucky if they manage to guess it.

It's also important to keep your operating system updated with the latest patches. If you're using Windows, you probably also need a good firefall and some antivirus software to run regular antivirus checks. I haven't been using Windows for years, so I couldn't recommend anything.

One important thing is also never to click ANY links in e-mails you recieve "from EA". E-mails can easily be forged, and always try accessing the information you're looking for by first going to EAs or UOs main website, and then navigating yourself to the location, rather than blindly following links. These might also compromise your security. (Though I find it hard to believe this is what could've stolen your password.)

I hope you get things sorted again, Lolindir!

As it turns out, theres no need to worry about any items being lost. It turns out I have had my account terminated for duping!!

It's very strange because even though I had all my money on this account, and made most of the purchases, I store most of my items in a house on my main account.

I have filed a complaint but it seems they have little trust in me so I probably wont see any of the chars again.

As it turns out, theres no need to worry about any items being lost. It turns out I have had my account terminated for duping!!

So you lost your account for buying duped items how can that be your fault? How do you know if an item has been duped? Are there tell tell signs that an item has been duped?

I have been at this game sense beta. About 3 weeks after the game was release people found out how to dupe items. It has always been bannable, and they have always banned people who had duped items.

For years we have tried to get them to make a way to tell. It is defintally not fair that if I go and buy an item off a vendor I can get banned for it. However, for about the last 10 years they have refused to do anything like that. So, I dobut if they will now.

Careful with what you buy these days.. I dont know you thought.. but what kinda items do you deal with? since you mention you -store- items with your main account..

Well. I have three houses on Europa, and I only use my main account for storeing any items at all realy. The other houses are used for LB and mostly has GM armor, weaps and other junk.

I have been at this game sense beta. About 3 weeks after the game was release people found out how to dupe items. It has always been bannable' date=' and they have always banned people who had duped items.

For years we have tried to get them to make a way to tell. It is defintally not fair that if I go and buy an item off a vendor I can get banned for it. However, for about the last 10 years they have refused to do anything like that. So, I dobut if they will now.[/quote']

Yes, they seem to be -very- strict about it. I have sent a couple of messages to EA support, but they wont even tell me wich items allegedly have been duped.

Well, it's apparently not, considering that people who have not done anything (i.e. duped items) is getting their accounts banned. This is very unprofessional from EA's side. It remains to be seen whether they will open your account again: If they don't, it's also a sign of how EA is treating their customers like they are guilty until proven innocent. The least I should have expected from them is that they give a straight and objective answer. So far they don't seem to have done this.

You will get a better responce if you call them instead of e-mailing them. Always better to at least talk to them.

Everyone that has called has been told to send a message through the EA support site. And of course' date=' everyone gets the same standard answer.

Greetings,

Thank you for contacting Ultima Online Support.

I am very sorry to hear of your account being terminated. However, you were found to be in possession of a multitude of highly illegal items in Ultima Online. Due to the severe nature of this ToS violation, your account was terminated. Sufficient evidence was verified to justify this termination.

The action taken against your account was just and will stand. If you would like to see any changes made to our Rules and Policies, please feel free to submit feedback bia the UO Herald by visiting

Ultima Online

Any further replies regarding this subject will not be acknowledged.

Thank you and take care.

Player Relations

Electronic Arts

Sufficient evidence was verified to justify this termination.

I didnt buy much items at all. I had at some point 5-6 BRSK after I made some good cash. I have burnt all of them of except for one, and I still have that one on my main account. Apart from that, I only have stacks of bandages, fish steaks, orange petals and those kind of items.

After reflecting a bit I think it mus be bank checks that triggered my termination. I had some fourty millions on one of my chars from selling an orny and a crimson that my friend left behind when he quit. I sold those items a good time ago, half year maybe.

This account had a house on Siege Perilous, where i was filthy broke, so I didnt have anything there at all apart from crap. Can't come from there, at least I'd be very suprised.

And of course.. I just realized..

I dont know how many of you that use internet sites to browse items for sale, but by going for the lowest prices for all items, youre more likely to get duped items into your inventory.

Id strongly suggest that everyone stay clear of sites like

removed links.

Search UO

Find UO

At least untill EA manages to get item duping out of the game completely...

I've been useing searchuo to browse cheap items for the last year, and I'm starting to understand how the account may have been terminated. Strangly enough, I still have the most of the items bought, but in chests in my house on the main account.

• 1 month later...