Well, it seems like a stupid question when I type it, but seeing as I have never successfully found a guild that is active in any way, I might as well.

How does one go about finding a guild that is active? I think my main problem is I am not outwardly sociable unless I know the person before. If I am not hunting I am at home crafting. I play on chesapeake and I have never really been in a guild (in UO) before. I randomly get invites to guild if I hang out in Luna for a while but that does not seem like the best way to choose mates.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Some guilds advertise by dropping books on the ground at banks and moongates. It's really about the people. Maybe accept one of those random invites and hang out with them for a while, see if you like them. If not, move on to the next :) Or post in your shard's forum here that you're seeking a guild and see if anybody is recruiting.

I prefer guilds that at least do interviews, which is what my guild does. They bring you to the guild house and then our High Council and Sages (at least one+ HC and 2+ Sages) do the interview. It's somewhat of a formality, as you are still on probation, but it is a way to at least pick prospective members brains and find out if you can get along with them. Many guilds just do mass signups, and you never really know what you're going to get (no that interviews are foolproof, but they at least give you an idea). I personally would never join a guild that does mass signups of whoever is interested, but that's me.

Also, try and look for guilds that tailor themselves to your playstyle (pvp, pvm, pve). You may prefer a guild that is more interested in getting folks started, likewise you may prefer a guild that takes more experienced players. My own guild makes it clear we expect you to be self sufficient, yet I put suits together and give them to guildies all the time...it's an effort to make our players better...but they are also players that have been in guild for at least some period of time. Bottom line, you HAVE to talk to guilded characters in game to get a feel for their style. A guild is, to me, one of the best things you can do in UO to expand the experience. Good luck!

One guild I was in had an interview and then a 3 week initiation period, where you had to attend the weekly meetings with the entire guild. Then at the end of initiation, they had a "test" for you to do. It involved a dungeon crawl, but it wasn't a fighting test so much as it was a test of your integrity and character. If you passed, you were brought back to the guild house, where the guild flamestruck you to death and gave you a flame colored cape. :P

I really liked the test part. I was nervous, as I'm not much of a fighter (more a crafter/merchant), so I was afraid to fail, but it really wasn't a test of my fighting at all. (I'd say more but don't want to give away the secret for those who still do this sort of thing!)

One guild I was in had an interview and then a 3 week initiation period, where you had to attend the weekly meetings with the entire guild. Then at the end of initiation, they had a "test" for you to do. It involved a dungeon crawl, but it wasn't a fighting test so much as it was a test of your integrity and character. If you passed, you were brought back to the guild house, where the guild flamestruck you to death and gave you a flame colored cape. :P

I really liked the test part. I was nervous, as I'm not much of a fighter (more a crafter/merchant), so I was afraid to fail, but it really wasn't a test of my fighting at all. (I'd say more but don't want to give away the secret for those who still do this sort of thing!)

That sounds like it was pretty fun. :o

Thanks for all the advice, I will keep my eyes peeled for books etc. I saw one tonight for a crafter only guild so I may be able to find something sometime.

Also many guilds that are active run special events that are open to the public. attend a few of these and dont be afraid to ask questions. The majority of players are more than happy to share their knowledge, even the most ruthless pvp'ers love to talk about their experiences and help out. Ive said it before, but these forums and specifically the generousity of some of the members is what brought me back to UO and has kept me here on the boards.

If you are interested in weekly events like archery and dart tournaments, cow tipping contests, drinking contest or any other fun events my guild, Royal Britannian Guards, is always welcoming new members. We do have a small intiation period, and also conduct a interview with an elder. We also do joint events with other guild on Chesapeake. We have a guild populated player run town called Guardians Gate with over 35 houses in the town. We also do peerless and very light pvp. So if you are intersted in learning more about our active guild you can look on our skypage, royalbritguards.org ,and also apply for membership there.

If anything please come to one of our weekly events. There are a lot of different guilds there and it is always fun. If you wish to contact me for a tour or a gate to said event my icq is 388631554. Hope you find what you are looking for!

Thanks again for all the great info, the problem I am having atm is that I am not really a role-player (though my wife may disagree when I break out the handcuffs), I am more of a raider/pvp'er and I keep finding great RP guilds but poor raid guilds. :-/

I think WoW ruined me, I was in a hardcore raiding guild (we finished Burning Crusade in the top 10 for U.S. based guilds) but now I am kinda looking for that thrill in UO but it is a different dynamic.