I can always dream of cool things for uo but I know there is no way they would implement them.

But here goes...

I would like to see larger boats! some where you can actually enter a cabin within them. I would say it woudl be best if they arn't able to dry dock. Also maby able to choose what flag to fly on the mast? this could possibly make wonders for the role play community. (pirate ships wink wink)

Somthing else that is interesting is maby these large ships could have items locked down within them? Make them like a house where you can private the ship and only guildies and friends may enter? If these large ships worked like houses you would have to refresh them so often so a neglected ship would sink so as not to clutter our oceans with derelects. Or these abandoned ships could be entered and its contents salvaged. (in danger of sinking!)

i would really like some feed back so I know Im not a complete crackpot.

Hi Cade,

I've been asking for the same thing for years. I even brought it up a couple of years ago at the first town hall meeting at EA's Los Angeles office.

At one time the dev team was considering a nautical expansion... but chose to do a ninja/samurai one instead.

There is always hope though. :)

Vikings had big ships:)

Anyhoo, if you wanted larger ships, I agree there should be no dry docking. But they'd have to be ridiculously expensive, make it a guild investment. There should be reason to have them in though apart from the roleplay aspect even if that is a great reason:) Everyone just recalls anyway, maybe a new facet with the stygian abyss in where nobody can mark recall runes?

Not a bad idea, but theres a lot of facets as it is:P Maybe they should extend the tokuno islands facet *mutters something about adding vikings and a new playable non-gargoyle race there*, rename it and make it the size of Britannia but only in terms of sea mass? Also disallow houses not on the tokuno islands part making it necessary to have boat house things:)

Good idea though, might never get implemented:( Problem thats been bugging me the past few days is the name of the next update, Stygian Abyss. Its like a really bad omen because on Ultima IV, that's the last place you go on the game, I think to get the Codex of Virtue or something. But yeah anyway, SA from what I've heard needs big ships, no gargoyles and vikings (ok the viking part is just me but I feel strongly for it:P)

I like the idea of house boats. This would extend the variety a bit more. I think house boats would have more to do. Like be able to salvage sunken treasures and if you get tired of living in one place just move the whole boat. No hassle of unlocking and using packies. Of course this would have to be looked at a bit since abandoned boats are were a big deal when I started playing, you couldnt go for a minute without running into a boat that was left in the ocean.

I'm against the concept of cannons in UO. The only thing that could be good about them would be that the balls and cannon would need to be smithed, gunpowder could be made by an alchemist, the base could be partially carpentered, tools to clean could be tinkered and a high level in archery (because of the ability to judge distance) could make it more accurate, making it a genuine guild affair.

If something did have to be added to ships like that though I'd rather just see ballistas. Cannons are too close to muskets and the like, not really something I play UO for.

Skip the cannons (even though I like them). But introduce cannon-like weapons for this naval expansion, but would keep powder weapons out so peops feathers don't get ruffled, is a weapon seen in WoW but only as deco itself (like cannons in UO) and is historically a real weapon in medieval & ancient times.

Wheeled (for land) and ship-mounted balistas! A balista is sort of a cross between a giant crossbow, cannon, and catapult. It shoots tipped bolts (like an arrow) ranging in size of spear to a large tree.

Just an idea. =)

True Cade. They fired LOTS of things.

That's the beauty of this idea. The UO Team does -not- have to implement Caribbean pirates. Pirates have been around as long as there has been a way to float on water, in all parts of the world. Even the ancient Greeks and Romans had to deal with piracy.

Just like other aspects of UO being UO-styled twists on multiple cultures and times... a nautical expansion could be tailored to fit within the UO world, including all the locations found on Tram, Fel, Ish, and Tok facets. Malas might be the only facet without because it has no oceans... just open space and sky.

Something to ponder.

I would like to see a barrage of different sea warfare weapons. the easiest being arrows and bolts fired from player weapons. Rock slings, onagers, and ballistas are also great but i think should require a lot of crafting and limited use. Cannons would be devistating and fun if used occasionally. More than cannons I would like to see flame rounds. maby a rock ablaze could be tossed as a ship putting long lasting fire fields around the deck making player movement a bit dangerous. Of course I like the idea of house boats so there should be a difference between boats for battle and that of living. Of course implementing them together is nice but loosing an entire ship to other players which you stocked with all your possessions would suck so upon aquireing a ship you could choose whether it be for a home or battle. (maby somthing to do with guild possession and factions?)

I also like the idea of more ocean monsters. Some that are so hard you need an armed vessle and a crew to man its weapons.

I would love! Just love to see a guild out on a large ship exploring the ocean looking for NPC (tram) or Player (fel) ships to destroy or pirate, then get attacked by a giant squid.

Large ships would be good for pvm and pvp. maby these ships would need no tillerman as you would need to double click the anchoring gears to raise or lower anchor, then double click on the mast to raise or lower sails. You would then have to have your gm carpentor (stone craft) craft some stone balls for your catapults which require a player to have gm tinkering, carpentry, and blacksmithing to create. Maby the added use of alchemy using explosion potions could make these rocks flamable. then to create ballistas you would need a gm carpenter, tinker, and fletcher to create the device and its ammunition.

Sea battles could make use of naval weapons. Maby a ship could have hp that when gets to low would no longer be able to sail thus making it able to be bordered and captured. A carpenter would be needed to make repairs to the vessle as well as other crafters to repair its weapons. maby you would need a tailor to make new or repair the old sails.

give me some feedback and critique on this idea.

I also like the idea of more ocean monsters. Some that are so hard you need an armed vessle and a crew to man its weapons.

I would love! Just love to see a guild out on a large ship exploring the ocean looking for NPC (tram) or Player (fel) ships to destroy or pirate, then get attacked by a giant squid.

Large ships would be good for pvm and pvp. maby these ships would need no tillerman as you would need to double click the anchoring gears to raise or lower anchor, then double click on the mast to raise or lower sails. You would then have to have your gm carpentor (stone craft) craft some stone balls for your catapults which require a player to have gm tinkering, carpentry, and blacksmithing to create. Maby the added use of alchemy using explosion potions could make these rocks flamable. then to create ballistas you would need a gm carpenter, tinker, and fletcher to create the device and its ammunition.

Cade they should put you in charge of developing the next expansion! =)

A naval expansion certainly piques my interest. There are so many ideas and concepts that could be put to use it's rather staggering.

id like to see a new landmass not actually being land. Instead a town with room for player houseing build upon a sytem of docks. Anyone remember that town build on the ocean in the movie waterworld? I think this town should be rather small about the size of a regualr town with a few spots for player housing as well as plenty of room for player owned boats/boat houses to pull up and anchor next to a dock.

This town should be the center of interest for marine hunting and treasuring. A grand expansion of sunken ship exploring is a must. Instead of pulling up a chest with a few shells and pillows how about being able to purchase addons for your ship one being a pully system and nets. You can locate sunken ships and drop hooks to pull up whatever you may find.

This type of expansion would in its self be small and would add better things to the already current things we have. There would of course be a huge aquarium movement. Fishing would have increased rewards along with increased risk. Big finds no longer require the lone fishermen but instead a ship with a nuatical crew.

But if EA ever considered an expansion like this I think the most valuable would be the new boats along with house boats.

They should do something to make people wanna go to the ocean... we have fishing and sos but most people dont really do them unless their really bored because the reward for spending the time isn't that great. If we had nice boats and ways to war each others boats in tram and if you hit the other boat enough it sinks and cause the boats only cost 10k u could keep waring eachother and no be out tons of cash when u get sunk.... Oh the ideas we can come up with, they would make great annivasery gifts. Oh well who needs fun like that we got tokens over powered items and a wand.

I would love to see something done to help the waters. I love the idea of having ships that actually have a purpose other than for sos and deep sea fishers.

At the very least, semi-customizable ships where you can decide the look, I would love to get a new tiller man or woman. To be frank, I feel that they really neglected the open seas, and they should do something to bring people back to the water.

I remember back when UO first was released, and how boats were such a big investment, and how fun they were. Sailing to places that you could have otherwise never reached, and how fun it was. I would love to see about anything done to bring back adventure to the high seas of UO.

Hi AbbyRose,

I remember back when UO first was released, and how boats were such a big investment, and how fun they were. Sailing to places that you could have otherwise never reached, and how fun it was. I would love to see about anything done to bring back adventure to the high seas of UO.

If you get to Baja sometime... there has been a naval fleet at Marble Island in port there, fairly consistently since the opening of Trammel. Sometimes the navy has sailed to other ports on the shard for in-game and player events. The navy is at MI now for UO's 10th. :)

• 2 months later...

I would love to see that down stairs cabin in the boat too , sort of a place to hide from baddies even log off for a few ! As for boat houses , well in Baja , Moonglow you do have the two houses on water out towards cemetry side ! i would love a water house too ! then the two man boat would be good to get in and out the house !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...