Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Pet balancing, legacy to expansions

- - - - - balancing expansions legacy pet

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

draken

draken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
sorry im getting little off subject here but i have to aggree its like armore uo says humans cant wear elf armor because it would be to small but wouldnt human armor be to big for an elf elfs seem to be able to do everything a human cant and more

Baldguy

Baldguy

AKA Thom O'Bedlam. Got a Question? I got a link for ya!

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
Points system ROUGH DRAFT
Abilities -2 points
Stats - 40 stats per point
Resists - 30 resists per point
HP - 50 HP per point
Skills - 1 PT per non -base skill (wrestle, tactics, anat, resists)
Skills over 100 - 1 pt per 20 skill

So, applying this to the rune beetle:(modified my original breakdown to refelct new thoughts)

bleed (+1),
corrode (+1)
partial poison immune (+1)

poisoning skill over 140 (+3),
mage/eval/med/resists skill over 100 (+8)
(+1 for each non-std, one for each over 100)

Total resists 320 - (+11)

Total stats 1080 (+27)

Max HP 360. (+8)

Total Points 60

Thoughts?

Useful links

[UO:F Common FAQ] [UO Guide] [Official UO Play Guide] [UO Feedback] [More Links, gathered by the Forum]
[B][SIZE="3"]Got a Question, or a great answer? PM me with it and I will post in the FAQ.

Baldguy

Baldguy

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
Additional observations:

1) Pets should increase in power in direct relation to number of control slots

2) Pets should increase in power in direct relation to taming difficulty, as compared to the same number of control slots.

3) Number of Abilities should be the same as the number of control slots

4) Abilities could be RANDOMIZED, with a pool of abilities established by # of control slots, and intensity/power of the abilities increased by # of control slots.
i.e, self-healing is one of the most powerful abilities, and should belong to the 4 slot category. Randomizing it will allow ANY 4 slot pet to have it.

Useful links

[UO:F Common FAQ] [UO Guide] [Official UO Play Guide] [UO Feedback] [More Links, gathered by the Forum]
[B][SIZE="3"]Got a Question, or a great answer? PM me with it and I will post in the FAQ.

Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Poisoning skill over 140?? which tame has such? yes a rune beetle will have pre tame... but after the max is 126 poisoning..

nother thing is that there is no difference in a 110 poisoning beetle and a 126 one since there is no bonus to deadly poisons strength due to skill points... its you either can use it or you cant and other than that its a look at mine..

Also on the dex of a rune there is no visible (least that we can see or tell) between a low end dex beetle and one with max dex...

as for abilities.. how does one or what does one consider worth adding the +s too? As Ive stated before I dont see the Uni/Kis cure/lightning bit anything to jump up and down over...

Forgive my jumping in... good ideas ya got thou

Baldguy

Baldguy

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Poisoning skill over 140?? which tame has such? yes a rune beetle will have pre tame... but after the max is 126 poisoning..

meh, not perfect. will correct. I used http://vm.or.tp/ve/631/a3runb.htm to determine post tame stats. ATM, it shows 140. Do you have another resource that shows post tame stats that I could refer to?

nother thing is that there is no difference in a 110 poisoning beetle and a 126 one since there is no bonus to deadly poisons strength due to skill points... its you either can use it or you cant and other than that its a look at mine..

Poisoning (spell cast) is resistable. The formula for resists is versus the poisoning skill of the caster. In this case, higher poisoning skill is important

Also on the dex of a rune there is no visible (least that we can see or tell) between a low end dex beetle and one with max dex.....

I have submitted a FoF question to clarify pet swing speeds and effect of dex. Your guess is as good as mine if we will ever get an answer. Leurocian is the only dev that ever actively shows interest in tamers (in my experience), and he does not check this forum, or the FoF question.

as for abilities.. how does one or what does one consider worth adding the +s too? As Ive stated before I dont see the Uni/Kis cure/lightning bit anything to jump up and down over...

More at issue than the USEFULNESS of the ability, is the PRESENCE of the ability.
Also, you have overloked the 100% poison immunity of the unicorn. This is QUITE a bonus. In reality, the unicorn has TWO abilities (female only), and the ki-rin has ONE (Male only).

Also, look at the uni/ki-rin/mare this way. The original intent of the lower stats for ki-rin/uni was to balance out the presence of the abilities. This pre-supposed that those abilities would be considered useful by the players.
But this move also set the tone for balancing pets respective of their special abilities.

This thread, if I can ever get help with pet points or alternative system, is meant to remind the Devs that there is more to balance than what they currently have in place.

Useful links

Vepl

Vepl

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,288 posts
*looks up from papers with forumulas written all over them*

Working on it. Wish I had a spreedsheet at work :-/

Vepl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Another Quality Job by Atlas607

Baldguy

Baldguy

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
Wish I was more comfortable with my math. Shoot me what you are working on, and maybe I can apply my limited abilities to helping you.

I ran out of fingers and toes on the beetle, and had to get my coworkers to hold up their fingers.
They got mad when I subtracted and went to cut off the fingers with the paper cutter.

Useful links

draken

draken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
here is my suggestion be cool if uo would devolpe all pets are certain pets were u can choose and train them in skills you pick as you would do yourself or a changling type pet that would have skills associated with the tamer such as a tamer mage pet be magic archer tamer maybe pet have wrestling with every ability to use random archer specials :/ just a thought

Baldguy

Baldguy

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
Good input draken. Once we establish a balancing plan, then we will be able to work on advancing the pet generation ideas.

Vepl has made a neat formula (to me, 1+x=2 is neat) that is allowing us to better analyze pets. Once we do some more checking, he will post here so we can talk about the constant weighting (enter kit and ben), then develop a balancing system from there.

Useful links

Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
pre tame yes 140 is max but a 140 pre tame poisoner will drop to 126 .. for what ever reason its not 130 but 126...

I see the reasoning in what your doing or how your doing it but on one hand the after tame skills/stats seem like they would be the basis for setting the point deal.. after all look at how much a cu and hiyru/reptalon lose in str /hps ..50 percent from pre to after tame...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: balancing, expansions, legacy, pet