Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

it'd be house placement!

- - - - - house placement

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

cyber2025

cyber2025

Town Drunk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
colour the tiles on the floor when placing a house either red or green, this should help with house placement.
-Zeratul
Good aligned Necromancer (Atlantic)

Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Wycorp--Dwarf Hunter

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
Thats actually a pretty brilliant idea. :)

Posted Image

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
I agree. thats a GREAT idea!

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
I don't get it, isn't that how it already is?

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
no, there isnt any way to tell if you are placing it correctly or not until it actually places.

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Odd, is this for custom houses only?

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
All you see is a ghost of either the plot (in the case of customizable) or the outline of the house (in the case of legacy style houses). What you don't get is any sort of grid indicating, for example, the 5-tile rule for clearance in the front/back of the house, or the 1-tile clearance on the side.

I would love if you would get some sort of green light when your mouse moved to an acceptable placement spot. As is, you have to attempt the placement to see if the spot is acceptable, and the only way you know if it is acceptable or not is by the failure or success. It doesn't tell you why it failed (such as, blocking tree, or not enough distance between you and neighbor).

Some sort of visual cue BEFORE attempting the placement would save a LOT of mouse clicks.

Ugh ask thom. I am the worst. house. placer. EVER. I can't even get houses to set down in wide open spaces.

Baldguy

Baldguy

AKA Thom O'Bedlam. Got a Question? I got a link for ya!

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
I think what he is suggesting is similiar to the Sims, where you get shading for any ineligible tiles. Excellent idea for Kit.

Useful links

[UO:F Common FAQ] [UO Guide] [Official UO Play Guide] [UO Feedback] [More Links, gathered by the Forum]
[B][SIZE="3"]Got a Question, or a great answer? PM me with it and I will post in the FAQ.

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA

I think what he is suggesting is similiar to the Sims, where you get shading for any ineligible tiles. Excellent idea for Kit.

Oy! Would it EVER be excellent for me! I'd have to sing praises or something!

Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Wycorp--Dwarf Hunter

• Members
  • 2,120 posts

Odd, is this for custom houses only?

Hes talking about house placement not customization. :)

Posted Image

Vepl

Vepl

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,288 posts
Let me see if I got a grasp on what we want :) .

When a player is using the house placement tool. He picks the type/size of house he would like to place. Then he begins to move the foundation over the ground. When he has it covering a "legal" spot the foundation outline would turn green instead of being a shade of gray?

Vepl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Another Quality Job by Atlas607

Baldguy

Baldguy

AKA Thom O'Bedlam. Got a Question? I got a link for ya!

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
FOr an accurate placement, yes. But it should also show (red) for an obstacle (rock, log), yellow for invalide terrain ( uneven, too close to a tree). That way you can see if you need to downsize or move a little.

Right now, duration of the "footprint" seems to be long enough to allow for placing adjustments. Lasts about 2 minutes.

Useful links

[UO:F Common FAQ] [UO Guide] [Official UO Play Guide] [UO Feedback] [More Links, gathered by the Forum]
[B][SIZE="3"]Got a Question, or a great answer? PM me with it and I will post in the FAQ.

merth

merth

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
Awesome thoughts on this!

red illegal
green legal

Vepl

Vepl

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,288 posts
Have to say adding the other colors is great. Would change the red and yellow around. That way you can tell if you just need to move a space/change size (Yellow) or move further away because of terrain (red).

What do you all think of that?

Vepl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

DiP

DiP

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Ok, think I get it now. Only placed 2 houses and had no problems at all. I only brought up custom because I used legacy house builds.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Vepl

Vepl

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,288 posts
So do we want to wrap this one up with the idea of the shaded area being: Green for an eligible place, Yellow if the size or space needs a minor adjustment and Red if the place/size is way off?

vEPL

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ging

Ging

Ging/Bo/Tough Armstrong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Here here! That would be quite nice

Stolencheese

Stolencheese

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Here here! That would be quite nice

It would be very nice.

But it'll never happen, Sorry people, thread over. >.>

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gieschen

Gieschen

Bringing RP back to mmoRPg! w0o+!!!!!!1 <

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Not to bring up an old thread, but considering I haven't read most of these since the beginning of July (I know, I'm a bad person *ducks*), I'm going read a few and hopefully comment. I think it is a great idea. I am curious as how difficult it would be to implicate... also in response to Stolencheese, why would it never happen? Is there a reason, such as impossibily of coding?

noixiata

noixiata

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
Yes, this would help a lot

Posted Image

"..the first lesson: that we must be
powerful, beautiful and without regret.."
- Armand

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: house, placement