Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Lockpicking Skill Guide

- - - - - guide lockpicking skill

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Baldguy

Baldguy

AKA Thom O'Bedlam. Got a Question? I got a link for ya!

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
Items needed:

1 box made with 30 tinker skill ( go cheap and buy up tinker and carpentry on your lockpicker, build your own!)
1 box made with 50 tinker skill
1 box made with 75 tinker skill
1 box made with 100 tinker skill

About 500 lockpicks total

For LP, you will need 3 tinker made boxes of different levels w/ key

Skill / How to gain / Gains stop

0 / Buy to 30 from THIEF guild master (important, hard to gain otherwise, must have it over 26 before training on boxes) / N/A

30 / 50 Tinker Skill Locked Boxes / 50

50 / 75 Tinker Skill Locked Boxes / 80

80 / 100 Tinker Skill Locked Boxes / 95.0

95.0 / Dungeon Chests OR PGon chests / 100.0

Macros

UOA macro will work for you up till 95:
Use item (set to type for lockpick)
target (chest)
Use item (key)
target (chest)

Dungeon Chests locations

Additionally, I would recommend engraving the boxes with the level of tink skill.

- I got to 95 skill from only two boxes, a 30 tinker skill box and a GM box.
Use the 30 skill until 75 lockpick, and the GM box to 95.

Stratics Lockpick guide

UPDATE!!!! As of today, 21 June 07, it has been confirmed that Lockpick gains while discorded (by a satyr) in the twisted weald. Thank you to Merth for this news! Suggest going here with a 75 tinker skill made box and a GM box, once you hit 95 skill.
  • thirstan likes this

Useful links

[UO:F Common FAQ] [UO Guide] [Official UO Play Guide] [UO Feedback] [More Links, gathered by the Forum]
[B][SIZE="3"]Got a Question, or a great answer? PM me with it and I will post in the FAQ.

Lost

Lost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Just as an update here is a little guide so you never have to relock ANYTHING!

Things needed to go from 50 to Gm Lockpicking:

1. At least 2 of each level paragon chest up to miamasa level.
2. 5-8k lockpicks

As you may or may not know there are several level of paragon chests. In order to use my method you will need several chests of each level. I believe I started around 50 skill. This method utilizes what I call the fail gain method. The point being that you never really want to pick the lock your working with. That way you never have to relock anything saving a huge amount of time. So at 50 is pick away at say a paragon Mongbat chest untill u pick it. Now grab a cycloptian paragon chest and pick till u pick it. Each level chest should net 8-10 points till it pops. You will be able to do this untill 92 skill where u hit a skill wall. This is where most people sit forever, picking dungeon chests for gains. Needless to say this can take months. On to the Satyr trick..

Things you will need for the satyr trick:

92 Lockpicking
1 Lurg Level Paragon Chest
A pack horse with 1500 picks (thats right only about 1500 picks to GM!!!!)

Here is how it works. You goto twisted weald and find a satyr. Attack him till he discords you. You will notice lockpicking drop from 92 to about 63 skill. Now, run thru the portal and come back. The Satyr will now keep you perma discorded as long as you stay near him, but not attack you. He may have provoked a monster on you before you portaled however, so kill it or whatever when u come back thu portal to twisted weald. Make sure when you come back thru portal, you have pack horse with you to grab picks because you will snap whem quick. About 1500 picks later u should be GM. If you are not using KR hold down ALT and click monster to auto follow. That way you do not need to worry about the satyr running off screen, you losing the discord and opening your chest, lol.

Anyway I hope this makes sense. If you have any questions let me know and enjoy!!!

P.S. - Took me 2 hours to go from 92 to GM

Dyot

Dyot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
So i've hear from people that nowadays the only way to improve your lockpicking skill is to pick paragon chests. And it seems to be true because I could not find boxes in tinker's craft list.
Taking into account that I am a new player in the game I will hardly be able to kill a paragon within the closest weeks or so. Is there any other way to improve my lockpicking skill?

Baruk_S

Baruk_S

UO YouTube Creator

• Members
  • 1,219 posts
Carpentry is the skill that makes boxes (Humans can make the smallest crate with 0 skill) and it is Tinkering skill level which allows the locking mechanism. (is automatically checked)

Hinreissend

Hinreissend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I agree with Baruk_S and I want to point you to the Satyr. Read up on it here:
Satyr Trick - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia
The UOGuide's Satyr trick is also specifically mentioned within the Lockpicking article:
Lockpicking - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia

The article suggests the Satyr Trick after 95 skill but I'd definitely suggest it right from the beginning - as long as you are able to survive (watch your karma!). The grinding is so much less an annoyance whilst discorded by the Satyr. You are in no way forced to use the Satyr Trick, it just makes your training faster - and sometimes cheaper.

Dyot

Dyot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
OK so apparently I've misunderstood something. Thanks for your replies. Gonna try it out today.

Dyot

Dyot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi all. I started a new siege character and took 20 lockpicking from the beginning. I then went improving my skill on the first level treasure chests and quite fast got to lvl 25 and then it all stopped. I wasted over 100 lockpicks and haven't got even 0,1 skill. Have anyone faced such a problem? It would be ok if I couldn't get skill from the very beginning, but no, i've got 5 skill points until all of it have frozen. I didn't want to buy jewelry but I guess I will need it if this bug won't get fixed.

Jeza

Jeza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I had the same problem with stealth some days ago. Forgot to buy it before taking the new haven quest, so I raised it from 0 (Hiding was almost 70 already) .
I failed all my attempts but still it raised quite well up to 25 and then nothing.
Someone lent me some leggins with +20 stealth and suddenly I began to succeed some of my attempts and stealth began to raise again.

What It seems to mean is that up to 25 skill points you can learn from failure, after that it's not possible anymore. Problem is to be able to succeed at what you're doing with just 25 skill points.

What I find very strange is that I'm almost certain to have seen my tamer gain skill points (not GGS) after failed taming attempts. She's 108 taming (120 lore).
Does that mean that you're able to gain while failing again but at higher level ?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: guide, lockpicking, skill