Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

FAQ poll time!!! It's yours, so let's work it

- - - - - faq poll time work

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Baldguy

Baldguy

AKA Thom O'Bedlam. Got a Question? I got a link for ya!

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
The threads in the FAQ are still growing, as are the views per day. Time to make sure we are going in the right direction.

I have recieved very few inputs/sugestions/comments/groan/moans/ etc. So I am muddling through as best I can.

I has struck me though that you, the viewer, may eventually have a problem finding the appropriate area to answer your question. The purpose of this poll is to see what you, the user, want.

Please repsond below with any topic area requests, suggestions, ideas, moans, groans, lawsuits, etc.

For those who choose " Don't know what is is", click on the first link in my signature, take you right there:occasion14:

The idea of the sub-forums is my preference, as each of the replies currently in the FAQ (SSI, DI, Mod CAPS, Getting started, etc) would be more visible and easily accessed.

Useful links

[UO:F Common FAQ] [UO Guide] [Official UO Play Guide] [UO Feedback] [More Links, gathered by the Forum]
[B][SIZE="3"]Got a Question, or a great answer? PM me with it and I will post in the FAQ.

Maddux

Maddux

I've got Skinnies with RPGS! Twelve 'o'clock!

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
Can you/website run an Access data base?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Baldguy

Baldguy

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
Adam and I have discussed it. I dont know if the forum can do it. I think I might be able to.

I have reservations about databases for non specific criteria "damage increase cap vice DI cap vice DI". Granted, we could do a drop down with selections, then sub areas. That would help with organization. I could do it in access, but have no idea who that would merge with PhP or anything. Outta my realm at the moment.

Look at the horrendous "knowledge base" that EA has. The search field is too limited, the acrhives are out of date, etc.

Useful links

[UO:F Common FAQ] [UO Guide] [Official UO Play Guide] [UO Feedback] [More Links, gathered by the Forum]
[B][SIZE="3"]Got a Question, or a great answer? PM me with it and I will post in the FAQ.

Winfield

Winfield

Governor of PaxLair, Chesapeake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts
I use FAQs a lot when trying to quickly find an answer. In my opinion, FAQs are hard to design for the reader in both content and navigation. And they are only as good as the information provided.

There are many ways to do FAQs as you know -- simple list with categories, Forums per category, and even a searchable knowledgebase (like Microsoft has).

I am torn between an FAQ list and a forum per category. Pros and cons to each -- FAQ list is not very interactive, so people can't really add their responses. FAQ subforums allow for sticky threads with the FAQs, but more interaction and queries from the audience, thus naturally enhancing the FAQ information for all readers.

I believe a sub-forum type of system is more flexible and perhaps easier to manage.

An example is JOOMLA, a content management system for web sites (which is what I use on www.paxlair.com)

Joomla FAQ List on main site

New Joomla FAQ List on their Help Site (more comprehensive)

Joomla FAQ Forum with subforums and discussion threads

These links show Joomla's use of FAQ methods. It's pretty obvious they use both FAQ methods (their help FAQ and the the Forum-based FAQ).

I hope my observations are useful.

Regards,
Winfield of PaxLair on Chesapeake

Baldguy

Baldguy

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
We are considering all options actually. Unfortunately, too few answers, and they are too even.

I would like the challenge of doing something different like a database, but not sure the forum can support it.

I also want to throw in some calculators in the posts, but no idea how to do that either.

Useful links

Maddux

Maddux

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
Perhaps the old military acronym "KISS" will help. Keep it simple stupid. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I don't think we could use a database within the forum itself, but we could probably use a knowledgebase type software on the same domain

Baldguy

Baldguy

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
Since WHEN did the military follow it's own advice?

We SHOULD strive to KIUF though. Keep it user friendly. Right now, I jsut have doubts as to how easy it is to locate what you want quickly and with minimal clickage. PLUS, it limits my ability to cross link related posts in the same thread.

Useful links

Maddux

Maddux

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
A data base is nothing more than the manipulation of an Array, but perhaps using http://www.mediawiki.../wiki/MediaWiki you can achieve the desired result.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Maddux

Maddux

• Members
  • 6,272 posts

Since WHEN did the military follow it's own advice?

When your in Combat Arms, Simple is often the best answer. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm pretty sure there used to be a modification/addon for Vbulletin which was similiar to a faq/knowledgebase, but I can't find it
I've asked though and i'll see what comes up

kingtony

kingtony

How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink?

• Members
  • 2,538 posts
what about cross linking the threads so there easy to find like a index

Baldguy

Baldguy

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

what about cross linking the threads so there easy to find like a index

Can't crosslink responses in the same thread, unless it is a different page. say for example i post a cross link in the PvM thread to the Luck table in the Items thread.
When you click on the link, it takes you to the top of the Items thread, then you have to scroll all the way down to the luck reply, ASSUMING you even know you are looking for the luck reply.

Useful links

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
You can link to an individual post, as opposed to a thread
See the yellow number on the right side of the screen next to each post? Click it and it'll open a single post.

Baldguy

Baldguy

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
TY TY TY TY TY TY Ad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Useful links

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: faq, poll, time, work