Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Wow i feel like a noob again

- - - - - feel noob wow

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Mortivus

Mortivus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey all got my account up and running again (pre AoS)and i was shocked at how much content and how different the game is played....What the heck is sdi,lrc insurance,4/6 - 2/6??omg im scared lol
Is my old mage template still viable for pvm??
100 Magery
80 Resist
100 Inscription
100 eval
100 med
im thinking maybe gm wrestle aswell..
Help pls hehe :)

Katherine

Katherine

Curator, Musuem of the Virtues

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Welcome back! That describes me a year and a half ago when I restarted.

Let me see if I can describe a few of those things for you.

sdi - Spell Damage Increase. A percentage modifier for direct spell damage.

lrc - Lower Reagent Cost. The percentage of this you have gives you a chance to cast a spell without using reagents. 100% or higher means you do not need to carry reagents with you at all to cast magery or necromancy spells.

Insurance (the biggest change for me) allows you to keep your items when you die, just as if they were blessed for a single time. Each item must be insured separately and costs 600 gold each. There is a toggle on your player menu (left-click on yourself). Also, if you use it, do yourself a huge favor and toggle the Auto-Renew Insurance to On. There are a few items that can not be insured, most notably containers.

2/6, 4/6, etc. - These are shorthand for the amount of Faster Casting and Faster Cast Recovery someone has. Those abilities work just like they say. The current limits for Faster Casting is 2 for a mage and 4 for a paladin, and the limit for Faster Cast Recovery is 6 for everyone.

Your template is a good start, and gives you some flexibility for additions. UO is very much an item-based game now, so the abilities on your armor and jewelry are now just as important as your skills. I am not an expert in this area, though, so others will likely have better advice.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Baldguy

Baldguy

AKA Thom O'Bedlam. Got a Question? I got a link for ya!

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
For the new item properties and such, suggest reading the FAQ section, a sub-forum of the Ask A Question thread.

This is a new feature we are offering, and needs tweaking to serve everyone. Thanks to your question, I added in abbreviations to the item property thread. it is here http://www.uoforums....ead.php?t=30885

Welcome back! As a recent returnee myself, I can truly apprciate the time displacement. It's like learning a whole new game.

Useful links

[UO:F Common FAQ] [UO Guide] [Official UO Play Guide] [UO Feedback] [More Links, gathered by the Forum]
[B][SIZE="3"]Got a Question, or a great answer? PM me with it and I will post in the FAQ.

Baldguy

Baldguy

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
As to your template question, I will leave that to the more seasoned magery style players. However, skills may now go up to 120 with the use of an item called a power scroll.

Common practice on mages is 120 Magery( you need 117 now to cast 8th circle 100%)
120 Med
120 Eval
120 Wrestle
100 Inscription
120 Resists
20 focus (unless you are human)

Useful links

[UO:F Common FAQ] [UO Guide] [Official UO Play Guide] [UO Feedback] [More Links, gathered by the Forum]
[B][SIZE="3"]Got a Question, or a great answer? PM me with it and I will post in the FAQ.

Baldguy

Baldguy

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Welcome back! That describes me a year and a half ago when I restarted.

Let me see if I can describe a few of those things for you.

sdi - Spell Damage Increase. A percentage modifier for direct spell damage.

lrc - Lower Reagent Cost. The percentage of this you have gives you a chance to cast a spell without using reagents. 100% or higher means you do not need to carry reagents with you at all to cast magery or necromancy spells.

Insurance (the biggest change for me) allows you to keep your items when you die, just as if they were blessed for a single time. Each item must be insured separately and costs 600 gold each. There is a toggle on your player menu (left-click on yourself). Also, if you use it, do yourself a huge favor and toggle the Auto-Renew Insurance to On. There are a few items that can not be insured, most notably containers.

2/6, 4/6, etc. - These are shorthand for the amount of Faster Casting and Faster Cast Recovery someone has. Those abilities work just like they say. The current limits for Faster Casting is 2 for a mage and 4 for a paladin, and the limit for Faster Cast Recovery is 6 for everyone.

Your template is a good start, and gives you some flexibility for additions. UO is very much an item-based game now, so the abilities on your armor and jewelry are now just as important as your skills. I am not an expert in this area, though, so others will likely have better advice.

Fantastic answer Katherine. If you see anything we are missing in the FAQ, please give me a PM or post in ask a question. Great job:icon_king:

Useful links

Mortivus

Mortivus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks to Katherine and Baldguy for the great replies :),i cant wait to get stuck into the new content! Meet new friends and explore all there is to offer now!! Oh do you need a house to use soulstones because my warrior has higher resist and i want my mage to have it.
Thanks again =)

Chaismene Volte

Chaismene Volte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Is my old mage template still viable for pvm??
100 Magery
80 Resist
100 Inscription
100 eval
100 med
im thinking maybe gm wrestle aswell..
Help pls hehe :)

For PvM it`s still viable. No need for the 120 Magery scroll that costs millions and millions. I have something similar and it works. I bought a cheap 110 magery scroll ( around 100k) but pure GM is also good. You can also get other 110 scrolls cheap.

What you need to do however is to read up on the different properties and start the slow work of getting a decent suit. With the recent changes to arms lore, a GM crafted piece of armour gives 47 resist spread out randomly. So when you hunt theres really no need to pick up any item that will not go over that when enhanced. Look for typical mage properties like mana regeneration, + to intelligence. lower reagent cost etc.

Rhus Radicans

Rhus Radicans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Thanks to Katherine and Baldguy for the great replies :),i cant wait to get stuck into the new content! Meet new friends and explore all there is to offer now!! Oh do you need a house to use soulstones because my warrior has higher resist and i want my mage to have it.
Thanks again =)

You don't have to own a house to use a soulstone. They can be used in any place where you can insta-logout, such as a tavern or inn.

Houses are so easy to acquire nowadays, though, that there is really no reason not to own one. You can start with a small house and work your way up, or simply save up and buy a larger one outright.

Posted Image

Mortivus

Mortivus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the great replies ! ;D

Baldguy

Baldguy

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
I would be wary of using the old inn log in and out for a soul stone. Suck to lose a priceless item AND your skill.

Useful links

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
All excellent and thorough answers. Your template is very viable for a PVM and dueling PVP mage, though as you've figured you probably are going to want to GM resist. I run an almost identical mage, mine is a wrestle mage that has 120 magery/eval/resist/meditation/wrestle and 100 inscription. He's a lot of fun and very potent. Having the 100 inscription will help you, as it gives you 10% SDI on your spells. Although as was mentioned, you probably don't need the 120 magery (expensive scroll), I WOULD try to find a 115 for around a million gold, as it will allow you to cast up to 7th circle spells without fizzing. In fact, I would go for 110/115 scrolls in every skill you have as soon as you can earn enough gold to do that. JMO. Welcome back to the game, I'm actually a recent addictee, my nephews played since the original beta and finally got me to try it, so I took over an old account they didn't want and started a second account...tons of fun.:)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: feel, noob, wow