Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Stupid Tamer Question

- - - - - question stupid tamer

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Omah

Omah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have never played as a tamer before and I do have a dumb question. Do you have to beat a creature into submission before you tame them?? Meaning do you have to lower their hp before they are tamable??

Thanks for you help and patience.

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
I don't know about creatures, but you definately have to beat on a Tamer before they become pleasant to be around. :P

I think only a select few (maybe only Hiryus) need to be beaten into submission.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Lurker

Lurker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
reptilians and blue/fire beatles as well need to be beat into submission

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
Other than the aforementioned, you can tame without injuring most creatures. That doesn't mean they take to it happily. For example, when you attempt to tame a cu sidhe, most of the time your attempt will not take and you will anger the beast, which causes him to chase after you to try and kill you!

Adri

Adri

Wearing metal panties in a lightning storm

• Members
  • 6,179 posts
Except for the beetles mentioned above...

Tamers usually take the hit points down from a creature before trying to tame them so they move slower and don't attack. When they are more concerned with trying to get away from you than trying to eat you, it's just easier.

Rhus Radicans

Rhus Radicans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
Giant Beetles and Fire Beetles have to be beaten into submission before taming.

With other monsters, specificallly firebreathers, the fire breath is tied to HP, so the lower the HP, the less damage done by the fire breath. This is why tamers beat down dragons, Nightmares, Fire Steeds and Reptalons before taming.

With Hiryus, which can move extremely fast, beating down slows the Hiryu down so that lead-taming is possible.

Posted Image

Jakar

Jakar

I'm very sneaky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Also to all the above mentioned, most tamers have either musicianship or magery to aid in taming. Musicians will use peace stop the monster from moving/attacking, while mages will use the paralyze spell to render their prety immobile for a short duration.

Posted Image

Baldguy

Baldguy

AKA Thom O'Bedlam. Got a Question? I got a link for ya!

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
Paralyze taming, however, results in 10% lower stats / skills on creatures. Not a preferred method. Peacing, or lead taming after reducing health are the two most effective ways.

For a tamer without eval or peace, use mindblast to reduce HP, or another pet. Mindblast damage is determined by your INT, not eval, so does healthy damage.
With another pet, you get the potential tame slowed down, mount pet, gate to stable, stable pet, run back through gate, and start tame.

Useful links

[UO:F Common FAQ] [UO Guide] [Official UO Play Guide] [UO Feedback] [More Links, gathered by the Forum]
[B][SIZE="3"]Got a Question, or a great answer? PM me with it and I will post in the FAQ.

Adri

Adri

Wearing metal panties in a lightning storm

• Members
  • 6,179 posts
You can also use EVs, but be ready with a dispell before you kill what you want to tame lol

Trinity North

Trinity North

Shogun of Kijustsu Anei Shame Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Actually, Ice worms are the only other creature besides blue/fire beetles that need to be beat down. Reptalions do not.

If you do not feel comfortable with lead taming or beating them down, bring a bard who can peace with you. Discord will also lessen their attack damage.

Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

reptilians and blue/fire beatles as well need to be beat into submission

Reptalon does not need to be beaten into submission... just popped in to their spawn spot yesterday and one was hanging by the entrance... peaced its arse and tamed it in the first try...

Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Paralyze taming, however, results in 10% lower stats / skills on creatures.

?? Last I heard para taming caused a 14% verses lead/peace tamings 10%... something change recently?

Trinity North

Trinity North

Shogun of Kijustsu Anei Shame Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
No, you are correct.

Para taming causes a 14% skill loss, peace taming and lead taming (taming period) cause a 10% loss.

TheGrimReefer

TheGrimReefer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Dont forget nightmares

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: question, stupid, tamer