Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

So what would have been better than trammel?

- - - - - trammel

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Maybe this has been discussed before and I am sorry if Ive missed the thread....

But seriously... granted trammel wasnt the best way to resolve the issue that was a serious one at the time... but how many seriously believe UO would still be around if EA had just let the event continue without doing something about it?

And given the time in which Trammel came into being aka the status of what one could do and couldnt do code wise .. what would have been the Best solution that would have pleased the entire player base at the time?

My own thought as been (since before trammel actually went live) a pvp switch... fairly simple... a 7 day timer attached to it.. with no pvp set you couldnt heal those with the switch set to pvp and each setting had its own special highlighting color.. or you just got a quick... "you can not attack that" or "you can not heal or rez that" sorta thing...

It sounds simple but then only the DT knew then and knows now ... we can only guess and ponder ... but still.....

But again... without anything having been done would UO still be around? maybe maybe not... I sure as heck wouldnt be.....

toplessphoenix

toplessphoenix

Holding on to My Soul

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
i kinda don't agree cuz what happens when you are pvping and then want to go hunting with your guild or a party then you die and they cant heal you or rez you? kinda like factions right?
I don't have issues......I have volumes!!:o

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

uothief.com

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
Shards should have been designated as either Felucca or Trammel ruleset from the beginning. You should never have be able to jump back and forth freely. Maybe give everyone a free character xfer for each character they own, or some similar type scheme to help the people that want to move to an appropriate shard.

Mirrored worlds never should have happened.

Queen Mum

Queen Mum

A Cookie A Day Keeps The Blues Away!!!

• Members
  • 5,130 posts
If they had a "you cannot perform negative acts on that character" for non combatant players then okay. I am not, was not, and will not ever be a "fighting" style player and after 87 months it is obvious that 'it ain't gonna happen'. :)

I do however like to watch other players have fun with pvp, factions, and pvm but truly it isn't for me. So I have to either watch things from a very safe (guarded) distance when in Fel, or wait for something to happen in Tram.

I often wonder why they just don't create a purple moongate, which would allow non combatant players like myself go through, and receive a 'can't touch this' player tag .. after all ... red + blue = purple. It would be a nice compromise :)

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

uothief.com

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
Problem with the toggling of pvp or non-pvp and living in the same space is... it opens up possibilities for all types of griefing.

I personally hate the griefers in trammel more than the ones in felucca. Keep them in trammel and away from me please.

Queen Mum

Queen Mum

• Members
  • 5,130 posts
Thats why the idea of a purple 'non combatant player' moongate came to mind. And honestly I would never grief anyone, so I'm sorry you feel that way about Tram folks. I know many Tram folks (on Sonoma) who are NOT that way. And I'm happy to know many Fel folks who are NON griefers too, thats one reason why I like to go 'visit' Fel when I can. Grey just doesn't look good on a tailor/chef :)

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

uothief.com

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

And honestly I would never grief anyone, so I'm sorry you feel that way about Tram folks. I know many Tram folks (on Sonoma) who are NOT that way. And I'm happy to know many Fel folks who are NON griefers too, thats one reason why I like to go 'visit' Fel when I can.

I didn't mean all tram folks. In fact, Trammel has less griefers (proportionally anyway) than in Felucca. But I can't stand the ones that are in Trammel.

But back on topic, the answer is very simple and obvious. (And simple answers are usually the best.) The servers should have had specific ruleset to rule over all the lands on their shard.

Grey just doesn't look good on a tailor/chef

Do you know the UOAssit trick? Lots of stratics fel reporters use it. Die and use UOA to display yourself as an animal or something. You'll see a normal color screen instead of black & white. Get yourself Spirit Speak so you can communicate and you're good to go.

Queen Mum

Queen Mum

• Members
  • 5,130 posts
:) Understand what your saying now .. TY

"Die and use ..."
Thats just it ... I don't wanna die, and after 87 months of seeing others in grey, and happy to rez/heal them, I still don't wanna die!! :)

Its just me ... the happy to be alive than dead baby chicken ...

Tukaram

Tukaram

Old & grouchy

• Members
  • 1,025 posts
I always thought they should have left the original shards alone and opened new, Trammel ruleset shards. Then when they open new shards it could get the ruleset that the population required.

Facets was a quick, sloppy, band-aid. Shards would have been better in my opinion.

Tuka :cool:

Posted Image

Kinsmen are born. Friendship is a gift of the gods.

Brom

Brom

Introverted Barbarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

I always thought they should have left the original shards alone and opened new, Trammel ruleset shards. Then when they open new shards it could get the ruleset that the population required.

Facets was a quick, sloppy, band-aid. Shards would have been better in my opinion.

I believe the Fel/Tram discussion will forever rage back and forth. Out of all the options and ideas ive heard, Tukaram's concept would have worked the best I believe.

While I try to stay optimistic about the future of UO, sometimes I shudder to think what "adjustments" they may make. Come good or ill though, I'll be here until the lights in the server room go out for the last time. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Adri

Adri

Wearing metal panties in a lightning storm

• Members
  • 6,179 posts

*snip*
I often wonder why they just don't create a purple moongate, which would allow non combatant players like myself go through, and receive a 'can't touch this' player tag .. after all ... red + blue = purple. It would be a nice compromise :)

I agree. Except then you would have people going to harvest double the resorces in fel without the risks. Add in scripters and such, and that's a mess waiting to happen.

Lensky Entreri

Lensky Entreri

Retired from UO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
I love the Tram/Fel facet split. I never played OSI servers with just Fel but when I played OSI back in the LBR days, Tram offered a much welcome break from the griefing/PKing in Fel which is rampant on the Fel only free servers. Sure there are griefers in Tram but that's easily handled by opening a gate to Fel and saying "Duel or be quiet please :) ".

kingtony

kingtony

How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink?

• Members
  • 2,538 posts
The debate continues most of the time yes i play trammel but mabey ea if it was applicable should have found a happy mediun betwen both world and created just 1

Lord of Shadows

Lord of Shadows

No Rest for the Wicked

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
I think something like trammel rule set until you join a faction, then you are open to felucia rule set all under the same roof. A tag would be the only thing that sets people apart.
Guildmaster, No Rest for the Wicked (NRW)
Hokuto

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
I think they could have done a "switch" type deal that would have worked.

Not a 7 day timer to switch back and forth would be needed, something simple like having waited for the combat timer (like we already have, 2 min I believe) to pass and be in a safe log-out area (homes excluded, gotta visit a town) would suffice.

The only thing that would be a pain would be T2A and other Champ Spawn areas, which they could just make it so if you are in non-PvP mode, you can't enter.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Kratos Aurion

Kratos Aurion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I just think they could have seperated parts of the game (landmasses) such as safe zones and war zones. the rest is self explainatory.

Mikhail Amarese

Mikhail Amarese

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'm almost disappointed. I keep taking my tailor into Fel to farm cloth and leather, waiting for someone to give me the ol' "Your GP or your HP!" or just straight up slaughter me.

Still hasn't happened.

From a purely design standpoint, I think it's silly that I can take a completely helpless character from his normal carebear world to Fel, simply to take advantage of the double rewards, not pay any of the consequences, and port him on back to complete safety. From a purely selfish standpoint, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Of course, now that I've opened my big mouth, you'll probably see me begging beetle rezzes at a bank in the near future. :P

Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
You know what? even before the great facet split if one was smart one would never be buggered by the boogie man.........

Todays felucca is not the one that existed just before trammel nor right after trammel...

Todays felucca is champs and once in a blue moon the Yew Moongate and the out of the blue (could happen no matter the period) surprise out of the house your passing attacks...

which leads to... if more folks were to go to felucca.. the more attacks would happen as then the boogie guys and gals would know when and where folks were going... with the little number of folks that travel to felucca the odds of being buggered by anyone is very slim... outside of the against the odds chance meeting..

Vepl

Vepl

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,288 posts
They have boogie man in fel :shock: ??

Vepl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Another Quality Job by Atlas607

Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
They must have the boogie men and ladies in Felucca.. what else would cause shudders to ripple across the forums when ever felucca is mentioned?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trammel