Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Housing, 2D Looks Amazing, 2.5D[KR] Whats Happened?

- - - - - 25dkr 2d amazing happened housing

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Chaismene Volte

Chaismene Volte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

I know there are a few bugs, but some of the new models for items in KR are absolutley horrible, Flowers for instance they look like there dying/dead, Everythings so dark and grouchy - When you play 2D its nice and bright, its sunny until it gets dark. Playing in KR is like wearing sunglasses while playing, its that dull its depressing!

Please tell me if im the only one who feels this way!

The hueing is not yet done, thats why whispering roses for example look the way they look.

Chaismene Volte

Chaismene Volte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Snowy I'm heartbroken for the same reasons. Like yourself, one of the strongest elements which has kept me in UO are the adorable pixel items, decoration and being creative.

I would wait a bit to give it the final verdict. SO many things are not even in beta yet, and many things that are do not display as they should. The dev team is aware of this and I am certain things will look better in the coming patches.

Vepl

Vepl

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,288 posts
You can keep the present UI for now. There may come a time that they phase it out but don't think anyone knows when that might be :-/

Vepl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Another Quality Job by Atlas607

Queen Mum

Queen Mum

A Cookie A Day Keeps The Blues Away!!!

• Members
  • 5,130 posts
Just to let folks know .. there is now a Forum for us to post pics and talk about housing, decorating, placing ... etc ... found here ... UOKR Land and Parcel

Saphireena

Saphireena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Seconded with Kaelith - and in fairness I do speak from the perspective of a roleplayer who appreciates the game being less of an LSD-induced-circus ride. I like the new graphics being that much more murky and darker. Things like neon plans being toned down or removed? Excellent.

Hey, that's a bit under the belt to take things to the other extreme to promote your opinion. I think it goes without saying that 99% of us abhor the neon stuff and anything that does not fit into the world of Sosaria. It's one of the things I've been ranting on about for years and it was one of the key factors which launched the Pixel Graphic Challenge.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the original outcry in this thread was based on the fact that the new housing and decorative graphics are not improving upon the old, but on the contrary, ruining them. Now this is a matter of taste, I'm aware - and all are welcome to voice their opinion on their personal stand with this issue.

I'm a roleplayer myself, but you don't have to be one, to appreciate natural earthy tones. But "earthy" does not equal: faded, drab and tired looking! Just look at any Ultima VIII screenshot to see what I mean. Earthy tones have every capability to also look rich and vibrant. Think about the color of wine or a pine tree.

And it's not only the colors and loss of light - but the way in which everything has lost definition. The UOKR items are simply not tangible anymore. They get completely drained into the background, they do not feel like collectable items nor do they inspire decoration.

This is not neon - this is class:

Posted Image

But you'd prefer to see this?

Posted Image

Well, each to their own I guess. Please just don't bring neon colors in here as artillery, that's not what we're talking about.
Posted Image

Saphireena

Saphireena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

I would wait a bit to give it the final verdict. SO many things are not even in beta yet, and many things that are do not display as they should. The dev team is aware of this and I am certain things will look better in the coming patches.

Those are comforting words, and I appreciate the effort - but being both a pixel artist and a game developer, I know for a fact that when a team is faced with revamping thousands and thousands of items - they will first use a good chunk of time to test and demo different art styles, then make a final decision and stick to it. To go back and tweak all that stuff all over again is very unlikely - especially if the majority of art has already been implemented.

In the case of smaller sets of graphics, such as "paperdoll art" or "user interface art" or "login screen art", there is the possibility to iterate and iterate some more. But in the case of the housing and deco where tens of thousands graphical bits and bobs are involved, I'm pretty sure that what we see is very close to what we're getting. Just wait and see.
Posted Image

Queen Mum

Queen Mum

A Cookie A Day Keeps The Blues Away!!!

• Members
  • 5,130 posts
"...but the way in which everything has lost definition. The UOKR items are simply not tangible anymore. They get completely drained into the background, they do not feel like collectable items nor do they inspire decoration."

Aye it does involve the details ...
I posted 2d & KR comparison snapshots of my home here ... Mums Sanctuary

*must remember it is still in beta :)

CheesePlant

CheesePlant

Won this title in a raffle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Well I was greatly dissapointed some Beta shots did look amazing however when I tried the Beta it looked so horrible i had to go back to 2d. 3d is blurry and 2d is sharp and clear. Why didn't they just improve the 2d client and make the graphics as nice as age of empires 3 or titan quest?

Saphireena

Saphireena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

You can keep the present UI for now. There may come a time that they phase it out but don't think anyone knows when that might be :-/

So this is UO "3D client" happening all over again - just slightly better this time. Well, they already learned the first time that managing and updating two clients means double the amount of work, so I really doubt they are going to make that mistake again this time. It's just bad business sense.

My gut instinct is that UOKR is the new UO and EA is going full steam ahead with that. The old client will be quietly swept away with time. :'(
Posted Image

saturnstroll

saturnstroll

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Murky, Mucky....
The environment is mucky...

I notice that most ppl are very content/happy/elated with monster models.
But the enviroment (grass, dirt, inanimate items, Plants!, HOUSES!) is suffering something awlful...
It just looks so much clunky-er.

I understand that it is Beta and incomplete,
I'm just adding my own opinion to the fray.

Thank you (I love UO!)

JCtheBuilder

JCtheBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Well I was greatly dissapointed some Beta shots did look amazing however when I tried the Beta it looked so horrible i had to go back to 2d. 3d is blurry and 2d is sharp and clear. Why didn't they just improve the 2d client and make the graphics as nice as age of empires 3 or titan quest?

I have been trying to explain this to people for the past 6 months. The very first screenshots were carefully staged to show the best of the client. That continued up to very recently. If you look at things closely you will notice slight faults which can be amplified in other areas. But people kept brushing me off saying I was being picky or I am against change.

Kingdom Reborn is probably going to fail the same way the 3D client did. People are only going to login to go to Stygian Abyss. The next expansion opens Stygian Abyss to 2D. And in 5 years everyone is talking about graphics upgrades again.

Right now I think the Asian community is pretty much going ballistic over the art changes. If the reaction is as opposed there as I think it is, Kingdom Reborn might have a complete art revamp. But the chances of that are almost non-existant.

UOGuide -- The best Ultima Online reference, better than the T2A manual!

Toria

Toria

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I hate the way the decoration for homes looks. No if ands or buts, I hate it. I hate how dark everything is, I hate how blurry everything is, I despise how off sized everything appears to be! I am crushed by the way cloth no longer stacks seamlessly to help create our own custom decoration, I am not sure if it is a bug, but the fact you can no longer stack as high and be visible irks me to no end. Don't get me wrong. When the housing tool is patched and working I am going to do my best to make some darn nice sample homes. But it is just not up to par with what I have been hoping for.

yes the monsters are much improved, and on a whole I am happy with them. But please, save our homes and our desire for pretty places to store our random junk.

Saphireena

Saphireena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Kingdom Reborn is probably going to fail the same way the 3D client did. People are only going to login to go to Stygian Abyss. The next expansion opens Stygian Abyss to 2D. And in 5 years everyone is talking about graphics upgrades again.

Yeah, this is what I'm afraid of as well. Heck, in some screenshots it looks almost identical to how bad the 3d client looked. In all fairness there are also many very beautiful graphics, but the beauty is certainly not consistent throughout the client. A few picks here and there ain't enough. Well, I really hope they go back to the drawing board and reconsider the style then release this when it's truly worthy of it.

Right now I think the Asian community is pretty much going ballistic over the art changes. If the reaction is as opposed there as I think it is, Kingdom Reborn might have a complete art revamp. But the chances of that are almost non-existant.

Heheh I can just imagine how psyched out the Asians must be. They are notoriously anal in getting everything just right in house decoration and colors etc. And their decorations are probably the world's finest for that very reason. Poor buggers, they must be pulling their hair out hehe. And I thought I was depressed.
Posted Image

Snowy

Snowy

Pretty Nice Disguise, isn't it?

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
Me too.... :(

I understanding that is the beta but they really need to do some work with colors. In 2D my house looks awesome. Now it looks like crap with less room. They need to do a lot of work before they release because if it stays the same I am staying in 2D.

~

"It's definitely a Bubble Bath Day.". ~ Dove Promise

~

Snowy

Snowy

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
Yes.... Clunkier! That's an excellent discription. Even the roads .... and riding through a forested area.. can't tell the treetops from the grass in most cases! I am tossing my 2cents in about neon and 'disney' looking for the record here. As Saphireena said.. well.. what Saphireena said!!!!

oops.. sorry didn't mean to double post... sorry. *blush*

~

~

Guido

Guido

Ultima Franchise Managing Editor and Site Moderator

• Administrators
  • 2,005 posts
They obviously don't have the lighting and hueing done yet. Everything that was 'pure white' is grungy tan now, including powerscrolls.

The sad part about all these negative posts, regardless of if it's a beta (as in this case) or 90% of the posts on UHall on Stratics is, if a new person looked at them, and saw how negative all the people were, they would never play.

For that matter, if *I* believed UO sucked even 1/3rd as badly as certain 'the sky is falling' people keep saying, I would just quit and go to a different MMO.

Sorry. I just don't get it. I am not anywhere near 100% satisfied with the KR client, but I see mass improvements in a lot of areas. And I see things that need to be fixed. But I guess, unlike some, I realize that this is a BETA product, and I am not forced to participate. And if it doesn't work out, then another old MMO dies, and we find another option.

Kaisa

Kaisa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

They obviously don't have the lighting and hueing done yet. Everything that was 'pure white' is grungy tan now, including powerscrolls.

The sad part about all these negative posts, regardless of if it's a beta (as in this case) or 90% of the posts on UHall on Stratics is, if a new person looked at them, and saw how negative all the people were, they would never play.

For that matter, if *I* believed UO sucked even 1/3rd as badly as certain 'the sky is falling' people keep saying, I would just quit and go to a different MMO.

Sorry. I just don't get it. I am not anywhere near 100% satisfied with the KR client, but I see mass improvements in a lot of areas. And I see things that need to be fixed. But I guess, unlike some, I realize that this is a BETA product, and I am not forced to participate. And if it doesn't work out, then another old MMO dies, and we find another option.

Agreed the players making the sky is falling I am quitting UO is doomed posts are not helping at all. They are in fact making things worse. People complain about the lack of people that play UO then they go on and post like the world is coming to an end...geee no wonder the population is low..people read current players opinions and go gee they all hate the game..I donlt want to play here! That being said I have nothing against negative feedback I have given some of my own..unfortunately most of what I have been seeing on uohall isn;t construtive it;s just people screaming and crying.

Snowy

Snowy

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
I have been fretting ever since I posted over the weekend about my feelings on the way KR looks and feels. I am not usually a negative person, so it bothers me to feel so negative on this. I am hopeful, but in the long and short of it, I feel as if I have lost something and may never get it back. Guess I should just keep my feelings to myself and post only cold hard facts. :(

~

~

Kimi

Kimi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I personally like things being dark and gloomy.
There are times, when playing in the 2D client, that I feel like I'm playing Albatross18.
Honestly, whenever I've played UO in the 2D client, or 3D when it was still supported, I've always felt like I was playing a game. It always felt like a game, With grass that only really looked like grass because I knew it was supposed to be.

Also, interior decoration aside (mostly because I haven't got around to it fully:-/), I think that both my houses look massively better in the KR client.

Adri

Adri

Wearing metal panties in a lightning storm

• Members
  • 6,179 posts

I have been fretting ever since I posted over the weekend about my feelings on the way KR looks and feels. I am not usually a negative person, so it bothers me to feel so negative on this. I am hopeful, but in the long and short of it, I feel as if I have lost something and may never get it back. Guess I should just keep my feelings to myself and post only cold hard facts. :(

Snowy, don't worry about it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and you are just as entitled to post yours here as everyone else is doing.

As of now, I agree with you. I'm just not a fan of how things look. UO:KR as supposed to be all about eye candy from what I understand. I'm not seeing it. Yeah, yeah, I know it's still beta. That's why I am holding out hope that they can bring things more into focus. I like being able to see something and know what it is I am looking at. As it is now, my home is in shambles, I can't find anything, and for some reason my front lawn is missing.

It seems that they did a lot of work to the animated creatures: monsters and such. The other things like housing, clothing, etc, kind of got put on the back burner. Housing is too important to this game to be on a back burner.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 25dkr, 2d, amazing, happened, housing