Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Housing, 2D Looks Amazing, 2.5D[KR] Whats Happened?

- - - - - 25dkr 2d amazing happened housing

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Mic

Mic

Tigurius

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I know there are a few bugs, but some of the new models for items in KR are absolutley horrible, Flowers for instance they look like there dying/dead, Everythings so dark and grouchy - When you play 2D its nice and bright, its sunny until it gets dark. Playing in KR is like wearing sunglasses while playing, its that dull its depressing!

Please tell me if im the only one who feels this way!

Rascal

Rascal

Madam of Mayhem

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
It definitely could use some brightening... I agree it's rather dimly lit :-/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I haven't taken part in the Beta, but that's the first thing I noticed in the pictures (the darkness)

I assumed it was the compression of the pictures making it look dark.

Tukaram

Tukaram

Old & grouchy

• Members
  • 1,025 posts
Everything is shades of brown. They posted pics of the Chocolate House in the old client and KR. The old client looked very nice. (2D/3D don't know because houses look so close to the same in either) but the KR version of the house looked like the chocolate house melted and everything was brown. No real details in any of the items.

I know we will have to redecorate with KR but so far I'm not at all impressed.

Tuka :cool:

Posted Image

Kinsmen are born. Friendship is a gift of the gods.

rednekfrumhell

rednekfrumhell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Like you guys, I thought it was very dark, but I liked what I saw with the graphics. My problem was lerning a whole new game interface after having played for 8 years. Is there going to be an option to keep the backpack, macros, and all of the gameplay as it is but use the new graphics?
Don't Call Me Fatass!!!!!!!!!!

Gyvalor

Gyvalor

collecter of death robes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Is there going to be an option to keep the backpack, macros, and all of the gameplay as it is but use the new graphics?

Oh I truley hope so, If I wanted to lern a new game, I would go out and buy one that has already been debugged.

and yes I have noticed the lack of colors in KR. Maybe like a lot of otherthings, they just havn't gotten to it yet.
Posted Image

GeldMacher

GeldMacher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Housing is one of the reasons poeple love UO, it allows you to define a small part of the UO world. The graphics in the KR client make houses look like they are melting, everything sort of blends together. I still do not like the why new graphics feel, they are not the clasic Uo feel.

Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Wycorp--Dwarf Hunter

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
I dont see "dakness" per se, but more "blur." There are no fine lines for spatial resolution.

Im hopng that they add a Contrast option to the video menu...

Posted Image

Snowy

Snowy

Pretty Nice Disguise, isn't it?

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
When I logged in and saw how my house looked with the KR, I was heartbroken. I have many beautiful rare items that look awful, when I can see them at all without eyestrain. Just taking Whispering Roses as the first example, you can't even tell they are roses without putting cursor on them. Then you can't see what the name of the rose is. The image I saw somewhere with 'defining lines' around the items might help, but on the whole I am terribly disappointed with that aspect alone.I must have turned in 50 housing / item / armor bugs already.

I like a few things... the art on Swamp Dragons is awesome! Had a lot of problems getting macros to stay set... they get lost every time I log out and come back in, not sure they are fixed yet even. I absolutely HATE the little squares in the containers. You can't see the objects in them, only portions...you can't arrange them in any way, they just land in last spot and move around so you have to hunt the correct book or whatever. I want the old way of storing in backpacks and containers left alone. I am a very systematic player and when someone messes up my organization.. or worse.. like this removes my ability to organize, I get ticked really fast. I really doubt they will even want to change the things I don't like about it, so I am feeling uncertain about my future gaming as well.

The paperdoll is nicer... but it's too big to be left open, even with my huge screen. The gaming window doesn't seem to be able to be expanded to fit the screen size at all, so the paperdoll size is annoying.

Ok.. so all my complaints are cosmetic... but it is about how we view our games that makes us want to play or not. This is the first time I have ever considered dropping out of the game. I have played and paid for almost 6 years now. Not had many complaints at all.. But this is giving me reasons.

~

"It's definitely a Bubble Bath Day.". ~ Dove Promise

~

Flames

Flames

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

I know there are a few bugs, but some of the new models for items in KR are absolutley horrible, Flowers for instance they look like there dying/dead, Everythings so dark and grouchy - When you play 2D its nice and bright, its sunny until it gets dark. Playing in KR is like wearing sunglasses while playing, its that dull its depressing!

Please tell me if im the only one who feels this way!

Well... the good news about the plants is the new look to them. They have made some of the lesser favored ones look really good. See the small palm.

As for the white ones... I can't see the point of calling them "white" any longer. Now, THAT is disappointing for me. :tard:

Attached Thumbnails

• small palm KR.JPG

Posted Image

Snowy

Snowy

Pretty Nice Disguise, isn't it?

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
My rare white century plant looks like a beige one.. it seemed to have lost it's title as rare... Yes, some do look nicer, but the color and title of the rare ones needs restoring. My lovely trees look horrible... apples don't show on the apple tree, peaches are gray blobs.. and the beautiful pink cherry... well if I have to see it that way much longer I will have to remove it. How many 'reward' and promotional items are in that category, I have no idea. I did notice the vet reward dye tubs are no longer in brown wooden tubs.. they are dyed completely the color of the tub.

Can't even sit down.. anyone tried to do that? Can't sit on stools, benches, bone sofa, elven chairs or even normal chairs.....

~

"It's definitely a Bubble Bath Day.". ~ Dove Promise

~

Mic

Mic

Tigurius

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

My rare white century plant looks like a beige one.. it seemed to have lost it's title as rare... Yes, some do look nicer, but the color and title of the rare ones needs restoring. My lovely trees look horrible... apples don't show on the apple tree, peaches are gray blobs.. and the beautiful pink cherry... well if I have to see it that way much longer I will have to remove it. How many 'reward' and promotional items are in that category, I have no idea. I did notice the vet reward dye tubs are no longer in brown wooden tubs.. they are dyed completely the color of the tub.

Can't even sit down.. anyone tried to do that? Can't sit on stools, benches, bone sofa, elven chairs or even normal chairs.....

I have noticed this also, hopefully its things yet to be implemented. In regards to the dye tubs, its the same with most items at the moment I think if something is dyed its the whole lot, not certain bits. Banners are the same if you have seen those.

Adri

Adri

Wearing metal panties in a lightning storm

• Members
  • 6,179 posts
I have some of those blobby statue things from the shimmering effusion which aren't in game yet... just the pink tiles lol. Same for a lot of the statues, a few rares, etc. My home looks like someone dotted pepto-bismol all over it. So I am hoping and waiting for those to get fixed so I can see the results.

Everything else is all just varying shades of grey and brown. Including my dyed runebooks. I had my books dyed different colors for different places: red for fel hunting spots, green for guildmates homes, etc. Now I can't tell the difference.

Queen Mum

Queen Mum

A Cookie A Day Keeps The Blues Away!!!

• Members
  • 5,130 posts
They talked about the 'lighting' at the Chicago meetup and we were told it is a gradual process to bringing the 'lighting' into its full potential .. like taking a picture and then editing it for gamma, colors, etc ....
It is brighter now than it was a couple weeks ago ...

also ... just as a reminder ...

"We hope you enjoy the new features and graphics. We aren’t done yet, but with your help, we’ll be able to make the new client everything you want it to be.

Keep in mind a few things:

- This is a beta test and we are still adding features, fixing bugs, and making improvements. We recommend playing on TC1 or TC4, to get used to the new UI, before playing on your home shard. "
~Jeremy

Use the feedback form or the bug report form (accessed in game through the main menu) to keep reminding them what we really want fixed!! :)

And of course post them here too so we know what our thougts are about the 'look' and feel of KR ....

Merc

Merc

bellum omnium in omnes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
I understanding that is the beta but they really need to do some work with colors. In 2D my house looks awesome. Now it looks like crap with less room. They need to do a lot of work before they release because if it stays the same I am staying in 2D.

Skrekkugle

Skrekkugle

Rebellion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Housing is one of my biggest passions ingame and as it is now im not happy with it. The housing tiles that I use look good but as said earlier in this thread, items and especially rares need an overhaul. But since its not finished yet I believe that this will get better over time. We certainly need colors! Travesty's Sushi Preparations look so damn cool in 2d and in kr im almost crying.

Also, dyed chairs look good if done well in 2d. Here the entire chair is dyed, not only the pillow on the chairs. This goes for most dyed items so there will probably be a fix. Dye tubs also take the color of its content :P

Getting better but still not there :)

Lazytown - The Dark Codex - Moonlight
Part of UO since 1999, always willing to help!

Saphireena

Saphireena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Snowy I'm heartbroken for the same reasons. Like yourself, one of the strongest elements which has kept me in UO are the adorable pixel items, decoration and being creative. Not the quests, not the monster hunting, not the skill training. Those are phases we go through during our first year or so, working up characters and exploring - but it's the housing, decoration and collecting that KEEPS us in the game for years and years. I myself have been paying for my UO accounts (6 of them) for 8 years now and feel the same as yourself, that if UO will end up looking this mushy dark way, I'm outta here as well. In all the years I've been playing, in all the years I've been posting on UO related sites, I've never said that before. I've never huffed and puffed or talked about leaving before. The only thing that will keep me in the game is if the current 2D client is continued. But I can't see that happening. I doubt they'll do the same mistake they did with the 2D + 3D client.
Posted Image

Kaelith

Kaelith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
Awesome!

If UOs got darker that can only be a good thing :)

I always hated the bright happy happiness of UO and neon was just horrendous.

Bring on the muddy browns and grey gloom of darkness!

Haleorn

Haleorn

Vesparian

• Members
  • 1,538 posts
Seconded with Kaelith - and in fairness I do speak from the perspective of a roleplayer who appreciates the game being less of an LSD-induced-circus ride. I like the new graphics being that much more murky and darker. Things like neon plans being toned down or removed? Excellent. Neon clothes and hair getting the same treatment? Superb. People's pixel crack being made to look more realistic and less glowy instead of having their houses looking like Disneyland-on-acid? Thank god. It may hurt some who like it like it is, but I've played for about eight years now - and I love the darker and more realistic direction the graphics are going.

They have said that they will carry on playing with the brightness, since people have complained that it is indeed somewhat darker than they expected, and I have faith that they'll bump up the gamma and contrast so that things are more clear, or just as likely put it in the options so you can decide how bright you want things to be. Thats something thats almost certainly going to change given what the designers have been saying.

What isn't going to change is that some people will be upset about the new art for certain items, pets and whatnot. As far as I'm concerned the changes in art will simply mean having to design houses and use both old and new decorations in a different way to make them look their best - not a case of "oh nose all my things looked good in Legacy2D and now they look pants, I'm quitting" for those of us who accept that UO's style is going to change with the new client.

When they get things sorted out properly I'll be hopping on board the Kingdom Reborn bus pretty quickly.

Hanse Davion [-V-], Haleorn [DDi], Angfan [Clw]

1998 - 2010

rednekfrumhell

rednekfrumhell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
My question is, will i be required to use the new UI or can I keep things as they are. Truthfully, as someone else stated, if I wanted to learn a new game, I would have purchased one. I came back to UO from WOW because I love the UI.
Don't Call Me Fatass!!!!!!!!!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 25dkr, 2d, amazing, happened, housing