Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Inactive Account Housing Grace Period to Change to 30 Days

- - - - - 30 account change days grace housing inactive period

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
From UO.com

Inactive Account Housing Grace Period to Change to 30 Days

Beginning on August 1st, 2006, the grace period for houses on inactive accounts will be changed from 90 days to 30 days. If your account remains inactive for more than 30 days, your house will begin a decay period of about 5 days. If you reactivate your account within the initial 30-day grace period or before your house finishes its 5-day decay period, then it will return to its original status.

If your account will be inactive for 30 days or more as of August 1st, it will be affected by this change. To keep your house, please reactivate your account by July 31st.

Please understand that our in-game support staff will not replace any lost houses or items as a result of this change, so don’t wait until the last moment to reactivate your account!

Click here for more information on housing and house decay

Flutter

Flutter

The Secret World

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
Yay

Posted Image

'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.' - Albert Einstein

Eowyna Rohanna

Eowyna Rohanna

I may not be the queen of everything, but I'm the duchess of

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
I'm for this one! Yes!

Flutter

Flutter

The Secret World

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
Several unused houses in Luna proper will now have to be paid for a little more often aye?

Posted Image

'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.' - Albert Einstein

Queen Mum

Queen Mum

A Cookie A Day Keeps The Blues Away!!!

• Members
  • 5,130 posts
I hope those who are in the military and stationed overseas will get the word in time ....

*we know several good folks in this situation :(

Posted ImagePosted Image

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
Wow that is really gonna screw up for the guys who deploy, and depend on that 90 day period. I know that when guys deploy, they are dependent on that 90 day period, and buy another 90 days in the middle of their deployment. Since EA does not have a program for us who deploy to pay however long at once. This will make it VERY hard for us now. For the very first time, I am not satisfied with an EA decision. Didnt think I would ever say that...

Keven1

Keven1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Yes it is going to screw with them and me
As I take advantage of the 90 day grace period but these are not unused houses I use them all:'(

Guest_Threnody_*

Guest_Threnody_*
  • Guests
First I was against the idea, now I am just nuetral. Honestly, it is not going to affect me in the least since my accounts are continuously on even when I am offline due to moving. I do not like it for how it will affect those that are overseas as Mum mentioned, I just hope they hear of this change and are able to make amends before they lose anything. On the flip side, the idocer that has been silent in me for so long just perked up a bit recalling some homes I've had my eyes on for a long time that have been vacant for just as long.

Six of one, half dozen of another.. just one more change to take note of and move on.

Thradia

Thradia

*licks*

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
Some quotes from the Devs on UO Stratics:

Player: I can't imagine what other thing this would mean than they are scraping for coin.

Draconi: Ah, and here I was sure you had a stronger imagination than that!

At least it beats the original 10 days we used to have. It was set to 90 days after all the confusion with the original IDOC fixes.

MrTact: It's not like the old days where you had to physically login to refresh your house. This means, 30 days *after you stop paying us* your house goes away.

The main reason why we're doing this? Well, back in the day, when we originally changed to 90 days, I remember someone . . . let's see, who would that have been . . . oh yeah, ME . . . complaining internally that people would use this to "kite" and only keep their account active 1 month out of 3 to hold houses. Well, guess what's happening?

Essentially, we're sick of seeing house signs with ICQ numbers on them. If you want to be a house broker, fine, but now you're going to have to keep your account up to date.

Although I like the decision, I do wish there was something we could do for people who are deployed.

I know we have a guy in our guild who is deployed often...but our GM works his characters and looks after his house and account for him...not everyone has those kind of people they can trust. I do hope they hear of this in time...

Posted Image
Posted Image

Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Wycorp--Dwarf Hunter

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
Now Im basing this on older info, but the housing situation on Cats was certainly not in need of this change when I was playing.

Now, people who want to have more than 1 location to call home have to pay ALOT more than what they were...

Posted Image

Gala

Gala

I Poke Dots

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
*bounces and puts on her idoc hat* yay!

Posted Image

Flutter

Flutter

The Secret World

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
Perhaps EA can come up with some special code for deployed military personel. It shouldn't be that hard to provide proof and I would really be surprised if people would take offense to special cercumstance.

It's the ones that are using the 90 days to hold prime housing spots and simply leaving empty plots or whatnot that get my goat.
There are several spots on Catskills that it is being done with, deliberately.

Posted Image

SpyderBite

SpyderBite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I agree with Flutter.. a special code or such for Military... no way to enforce it so it probably won't happen.

So with the exception of our military...

Now go and claim you're going to quit forever on UOHall!!! *sticks out tongue at the naysayers*

Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests
More IDOC's for the win....

Digital

Digital

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I am not sure I see the issue here?

When you talk about personnel who are deployed, why would they cancel their account whilst they are gone?. Seriously what is ~$11 US a month for a game that you love?

How about we do the right thing and pay our accounts monthly, the more an active subscriber base the better for all of us IMO.

The more active accounts that exist in the UO world, means the more money EA will be willing to put on the table to take UO forward. They are not going to increase the budget for a non performing product.

The last thing I am sure anyone wants is to see UO close?, or lose funding to other projects within EA.

Tukaram

Tukaram

Old & grouchy

• Members
  • 1,025 posts
If I played while in the military I would pay with the 6 month option, like I do now. While I was in service UO was not out yet (87-93) so it was not an issue at the time.

I made sure that when I deployed on WestPac's all my bills were taken care of for the 4 months we were gone. Maybe EA could set up military allotments?? (I depended on allotments a lot)

Tuka :cool:

Posted Image

Kinsmen are born. Friendship is a gift of the gods.

Digital

Digital

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Why not just pay using a direct debit function?

p.s. I know about deployment, I used to be in the Army. I understand you are away for lengths of time.

Flutter

Flutter

The Secret World

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
I wondered that myself.
I mean, why not just keep paying and have it automatically taken out.
Best I can guess is perhaps a lot of the people deployed are young men with families that cannot afford to pay for a game that they may not be able to log onto for a while?
I mean it's ok to pay for something that is used often but perhaps not when it isn't?

I am really not sure as I am not in that situation. I am one of those paranoid types that makes sure her accounts are paid for when she knows she wont be around just in case the rules do change in her absence.

Posted Image

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
Well what most of us do, is suspend certain things, like cell phones, car insurance, credit card interest. Yes it could just go on like normal, but honestly we have alot more on our minds than, oh crap, did I get that payment out in time. This is why those companies offer these programs for us.

And then comes in the "well pay online" arguement. I dont know what people think we have going on over here, but its not exactly loaded with a bunch of internet cafe's. Internet use is VERY hard to get, and when you do get access, the first thing you are thinking about is writing someone back home, not logging onto EA.com (which is blocked by the way, cause it is entertainment) to pay a bill.

A while ago, some guy on stratics was talking about his buddy just got a short notice tasking for 180 days, and didnt know how to cover his UO without losing everything. Nothing good came out of the conversation except a bunch of "bush made this war, so its your friends fault" crap. I really would like to see EA impliment a program like this, kinda like the cell companies do. They keep your number active, but it goes down to like $5 a month, and when you get home you re-activate it and it bumps back up to their normal prices. Same would be cool for UO, a suspended acct kept active with say, $2.99 a month with full charges resuming upon reactivation.

Flutter

Flutter

The Secret World

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
I didn't know you had to log on and pay sorry.
My stuff has always just auto-renewed every month... at least I get charged every month without logging onto the thingy...

Bear with me bo I am not throwing stones, just tryin to understand.
I use my debit check card to pay for my UO accounts.
A few times I knew I was going to be away (I am in and out of the hospital a lot more often than folks know) I baught a few gametime codes because I wasn't working and didn't know if the funds would be at the bank at the time of charge. The gametime codes stacked and kept my accounts open while I was unavailable. Twice I baught those gametime codes with in game gold because I didn't have the money due to medical bills and whatnot. One of those two times friends in game donated some of the gold to me so that I could afford to buy an extra gametime code from a broker for an extra 30 days on top of what I had.

While it may not be the same thing as fighting a war, those of whom I unequivicably respect, there are ways to make sure the accounts stay active.
I am going to shut up now as I am sure I am sounding like a real jerk. I am sorry.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 30, account, change, days, grace, housing, inactive, period