Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Taking screenshots...

- - - - - screenshots taking

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Wycorp--Dwarf Hunter

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
So you want to take some nice screens of your UO comings and goings?

Step 1: Ready your gamefield. Make sure that spell/skill icons arent littered about, that your paperdoll doesnt over lap into it, etc.

Step 2: How are you going to get your pictures? Many ways to do this so lets just cover a few.
1. Using the PrntScrn key at the end of the Function buttons across the top of your keyboard. This key takes a snapshot of what ever is going on in the game and plops it into an imaginary clipboard. From there we will have to open picture editing software proggy to cut the picture to the size and content we want.Some of these programs are:
MSPaint--Found on pretty much all Windows builds since 3.11, and someone made a nifty little tutorial here.
Photoshop--an expensive graphics manipulator but its usefulness seems to actually have no end.
Irfanview--fairly versatile free pic editor/viewer
GIMP--GNU Image Manipulation Program; another free proggy similar in ways to Irfanveiw, or so I am told.

This method is really fairly slow but does work well when used though it might take a few tries so dont delete the original pic right away, You may want to go back to it.

2. Using screenshot program will automatically take the pic by pressing the hotkey you set and save it as a file so that you can continue what you are doin and the go back for review and post-processing. They save all your caps in a folder you designate with successive numerated filenames. Typically go by date/time, iirc.

I would say that this by far the most common way for people who take alot screenshots theyre most common utilities are UOGRabby, and UOScreeshotUtility among a few others I am sure. If you have yone that you use, please post up with a link to the site so I can add it here. :)

Posted Image

Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Wycorp--Dwarf Hunter

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
Now that youv got you pictures, youve got to get them somewhere someone besides yourself can see them right?

Couple ways to get this done as well;

1. Attatch the image to a post here at UOF. The image will become part of you post and you will still have the verion on your PC.

You will have to click on the Go Advaced tab at the bottom of the reply box. At the new screen, scroll down a bit and you will see a Manage Attatchments button. Click it to give way to new context box that allows you to browse your hardrive for the pic you want.Easy as that really.

If you want to host the file so that you would be able to display it in mnay places, you would nee to go to the Image Hosting hyperlink near the top of the screen. It sits next to Special Features and Blogging. You will get a very similar context box where you upload the image and then beneath the inage, you will get a URL that you can use to disply the image elsewhere. It will look like : this
Posted Image
instead of the smaller "Attatched verion at the bottom of the page.

Attached Thumbnails

• UnderHouse.JPG

Posted Image

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
Hi Ezekiel.Great guide for folks to follow.

Other ways to get screenshots is Image Shack which I use.

They have a nifty little add on as well that allows you take,and save to a specified folder, all your screenshots.

Takes very fast pics so is useful for getting screenies of battles,events etc.
I only have to click one button, and jobs done.A bit like a macro button :)

I can then go edit later when I have logged off UO.:icon_cheers:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Queen Mum

Queen Mum

A Cookie A Day Keeps The Blues Away!!!

• Members
  • 5,130 posts
Thank you Ezekiel :)

Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Wycorp--Dwarf Hunter

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
ImageShack has a proprietary screencap app too? Didnt know that...

Im going to format all that later on today. Came out a bit jumbly. Gotta add in off-site hosting instructions/options too. :)

Posted Image

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England

ImageShack has a proprietary screencap app too? Didnt know that...

Im going to format all that later on today. Came out a bit jumbly. Gotta add in off-site hosting instructions/options too. :)

If I can help ,give me a shout :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bendavho

bendavho

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
Thank Ezekiel, now I can take some more pvp shots without having to paste in paint before I have to take another :P
Posted Image

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
Great write-up, thanks!

I use a program called Snagit. It's not free (but has a 30 day free trial) but I like its variety of screenshot options and its image manipulation tools. Quicker than loading up Photoshop if I just want to crop or resize an image.

http://www.techsmith.com/snagit.asp

Baldguy

Baldguy

AKA Thom O'Bedlam. Got a Question? I got a link for ya!

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

There is a "Print Screen" Button. It is on the top right. If you have a laptop it may be bottom right. Then you need to open a program (like paint, photoshop, paintshop) Hit Ctrl+V to paste the image (or edit > paste). Then save it.

On a mac in is Apple shift #3, or to select a portion of the screen, apple shift #4 then select what you want to print to file, it will appear on your desktop.

I use SnagIt - http://www.techsmith.com/snagit.asp

It's not free, but very configurable and has some nice graphic editing features as well. You can set it to auto-save snapshot files when you press a key, which is great for getting action shots in game. It doesn't pop up any nag dialog boxes or anything. Seamless. :)

You can also use UO Screenshot Utility found on the Stratics Resources site here:

http://links.stratic...ex.php?catID=24

I use Grabby. http://www.game-mast...ges/grabby.html

I always thought you had to do CRTL&Alt & Print Screen. JEESH all these years... :)

Actually, to save alot of people embarrasment (illegal prog's running in wondwo bar, etc), I usggest running (2D client) in the windowed mode, and using alt+print screen. This captures only the active window, and does NOT show your bottom tool bar.

In most screen caprture utilities, there is an option to select "active window only". Always choose that.

Useful links

[UO:F Common FAQ] [UO Guide] [Official UO Play Guide] [UO Feedback] [More Links, gathered by the Forum]
[B][SIZE="3"]Got a Question, or a great answer? PM me with it and I will post in the FAQ.

Lady Flame (DrR)

Lady Flame (DrR)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
I have been useing UOWedding, it has a hotkey to take the snapshots and save to a folder withing UOWedding. It makes a new folder for each day and dates them, this makes a great memory aid etc when checking back. You are then free to send your choosen picture to which ever application for editing etc.
Other features I also use is a hotbar for saying things, already programed with *smile*, *grin*, plus several others, this bar can also be adapted to say what you wish. You can also past into books in UO, great if you want to write it up else where, for spell check etc and when you have it just right you can past it in line at a time or the whole thing all at once. Of course it has the great feature also of being able to write speaches etc in adavance and allow you to say it line by line, given you the option to react to things between lines (or even skip lines) as the situation demands.

Sadly though this does not work with KR, I can only hope one day.
Posted Image

Queen Mum

Queen Mum

A Cookie A Day Keeps The Blues Away!!!

• Members
  • 5,130 posts

Sadly though this does not work with KR, I can only hope one day.

Make that a WE can only hope ... and .... :eusa_pray:
with it not working in KR the UO Clerics have to stick with 2D when providing our services .... as well as using it to write journals, make event 'speeches' ...

Anrymeel

Anrymeel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
i would dearly love to see some pics of the rewards. What does that dragon head look like and do i really want it or would i rather the bee hive??? but i need pics for such a major decision -lol

Pennywise

Pennywise

Crumbpicker, dat der Renaissance Manz of da Werlds!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
Excellent information in this thread. Thanks for sharing.

antiochian

antiochian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
What am I doing wrong??

I use the "attachments button", browse, find the file in my harddisk, then press upload button, after a while, a message "upload error -invalid file" comes. Tried many times.. The file is 580 KB BMP image from MS Paint.

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Needs to be a JPG/GIF or PNG file.

Jeran Arrowsmith

Jeran Arrowsmith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hey guys.

Thought i'd resurrect this! :)

I needed such an app, and a few years ago, i wrote a program i call Capture the Moment.

I recently found out that my old Guild Master Devante of The Royal Marksmen (Now working for Vesper) Both of Europa Shard, still uses it.

So i decided to resurrect it...

Capture the Moment v3 - By Jeran Arrowsmith of Europa

I even bought a domain name, how sad am i :)

Anyway, check it out.

It's Free!!!

Plus:
Customisable Store Location
Customisable Set Names (Sub Folders of Store)
Customisable Hotkey for Manual Capture
Floating button to take a Manual Capture
Select file formats - PNG, JPG & BMP
Capture Screen Grabs of whole screen or specific area
Customisable timed automatic grabs
Automatic Updates

Any probs let me know..

Regards,

Jeran

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
http://www.europa-rp.com

Ridfir