Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Why didn't anyone tell me pvm was fun?

- - - - - fun pvm

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

uothief.com

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
Well... I haven't pvm'd in years. I got bored and started stoning skills off of all the characters I didn't play anymore. After tearing apart a pvp mage, archer/tamer, and a crafter, I came up with (and am working towards) this monstrosity:

120 swords
120 bushido
120 parry
100 lumberjacking
100 anatomy
90 healing
46 chivalry
24 necromancy

Moved some pieces and came up with this suit:

1235 luck
di 100%
dci 25%
54 / 48 / 63 / 70 / 70

Play in vampire form and working on a set of Geoffrey's Axes. Works perfectly for him. I get the luck, the damage, fire resist, two-handed for the parry, an axe to make use of that lumberjacking, and the super slayer. I'm going to keep the lumberjacking instead of tactics... just because I think it's funny that I can collect wood.

Poison resistant, with parry, life leeching... and able to honor. It's great. Maybe I'll even set foot in the ML dungeons for the first time... heh. But I still haven't found any good loot, even with the luck. Just vacuuming up gold.

Just wanted to share my epiphany. :icon_king:

Who is your main pvm character? Just normal dungeons? Doom? Peerless? What high end monsters should I kill with this template (solo)? Which monsters do I need to be in a group with? If anyone at all, I plan to only play with my brother from time to time. He plays a necro / mage (and isn't very good. heh.) Of the group monsters, which can be taken with two people? Where should I stay away from?

P.S. I am looking to better my gear. Looking for Undead, Elemental, Reptile, and Repond Geoffrey's Axes.

Looking to trade this bracelet:
Animal Taming +10
Luck 100
DCI 5%
DI 17%
Cold Resist 10%

For this one, on the off chance that it exists:
Luck 100
DCI 15%
DI 15%+
Fire Resist 10%

Also looking to trade either of my 140 luck / MR1 med gorget or legs for 140 luck / night sight / fire resist 20%+ gorget or legs (non-med OK).

(Napa)

:bigcool:

Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Wycorp--Dwarf Hunter

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
That is probably the most powerful melee template going.

My Sam/Pally is:

115 Fencing/Parry/Bushido
110 Anat and Tacs
GM Healing
60 Chiv

I have GM Necro on a soulstone and just swap it out for for Healing whe I need to recast VE. Honestly, for what I do, its pretty darn rare that I die. I do alot of leather gathering in Destard, some paragon hunting in Ilsh, etc.

Ive been toying with the idea of working Enhance Potions into his suit because all of my weps are one-handers anyway. With potions and this template, Im thinking it will be nigh unstoppable.

There is a guy named baghdaddy over on Stratics running a comparable template to yours and he has solod I believe 3 different Peerless bosses, including getting the keys. :o

Personally, I think Luck is a waste of time. :/ I have a Luck suit for my Tamer that I have used quite a few times and noticed no appreciable difference in loot level. I Think youd be much better off going resists, MR, LMC, DCI. No need to worray about the HCI so long as you keep Lightning Strike running pretty much all the time...

Posted Image

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

uothief.com

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
Yeah?

That was one of the big reasons why I hated pvm. Whenever I attempted to go out hunting without luck, I felt like I was wasting my time, and went home soon after. Every artifact a waste with out the luck mod. Every weapon a piece of trash without it. Even the nicest Super Slayers... wasted. My mage useless because all the lrc/lmc/mr/dci he had... he needed to throw away and get a better suit with luck.

And that's part of the reason this new guy makes me giggle, because I finally found a functional luck suit.

(In other words: Thanks for ruining my high. :icon_neutral:)

This is my suit btw:
Jester Hat of Chuckles
Heart of the Lion
Stormgrips
Ring of the Elements
Geoffrey's Axe
140 gorget, legs, and arms.
Luck Robe, Primer on Arms, and Bracelet mentioned above.

:bigdisgust:

Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Wycorp--Dwarf Hunter

• Members
  • 2,120 posts

In other words: Thanks for ruining my high.

Hehehehe, not my intent. I will say that if Luck works as its supposed to, you could drop down a bit to work in other mods without taking the gaspipe.

Swapping the Jester Hat for the Brightsight Lenses will help your Fire Resist and they have 3 MR on them...I put them on him not that long ago when I was toying with his suit to be able to tolerate VE and laughed to myself. Never thought Id put a pair of glasses on my UO chars...

The suit I have on him is:

Brightsights
Ancient Samurai Do (+10 Parry and good resists)
Fey Legs
Stormgrips
Quiver of Infinity
Vet Cloak
Gorget and Arms are 60+TR with MR
Brace and Ring are DI, DCI, and resists. I think they each have a Stat mod too...Dex on one and Str on the other if memory serves.

Hes also an Elf for the added 20 Mana. I see that you are running a Human...is it for the JoAT bonuses? For a straight meeleer, Im an Elf advocate...

Alot of people try this template to great success in DOOM as well. Not sure as Ill ever venture him down there tho. He is my oldest char and sometimes he gets a little achy in cold damp areas like that.. :)

Posted Image

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

uothief.com

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
I'm still elf, until I find that night sight gorget or legs, but human for 2 reasons:

1) I only have MR2 on the suit. Vamp form helps, but MR3 more would be huge.

2) I want to see the Jester Hat.

Fire Resist should be fine, even if I have to stay with the elf to get better pieces. My gorget and leggings are nothing special. Around 25 total resists on each. It's amazing how much resist you can get with a ring of elements + jester hat + heart of the lion alone. Stormgrips aren't bad either, just weird distribution. I should be able to max out all 70's, even with vampire form, eventually.

I'll stick with the luck suit for now just because that's the whole reason I'm playing him... and I'm hard headed.

:bigfiremad:

Jakar

Jakar

I'm very sneaky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

That is probably the most powerful melee template going.

My Sam/Pally is:

115 Fencing/Parry/Bushido
110 Anat and Tacs
GM Healing
60 Chiv

Agreed, have a build just like that and it owns.

Posted Image

Baldguy

Baldguy

AKA Thom O'Bedlam. Got a Question? I got a link for ya!

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
Chad, in my experience with luck, and going from the charts, luck sorta levels off in efficacy around 810. Of course, at highest levels, you have a 52% chance of getting the bump on # of items, # of properties per item, and % intensity. At 810, it is 32%. At 0 luck, it is 1%.

Stick with the luck. I do get better items on average, but I have noticed that it usually takes about 1 hour to start really getting nice stuff. SOmething to do with our fantabulous RNG, or could be just a myth.

Useful links

[UO:F Common FAQ] [UO Guide] [Official UO Play Guide] [UO Feedback] [More Links, gathered by the Forum]
[B][SIZE="3"]Got a Question, or a great answer? PM me with it and I will post in the FAQ.

Koneko DeMent

Koneko DeMent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Chad.... will you be my hero? Please?! I've never found a functional luck suit but I am an artie !!!!! on my swordie, it's seriously fun, i'm sacrificing finding good items for the pure fun of giggling my bum off in a 70/70/70/70/75 suit and one wicked set of arms. I'll have to start trying to locate higher resist and luck items for the pure sake of taking down anything that moves. I just have traditional Swordie/Paladin build at the moment but I'm now wondering what I could do with Necormancy, thanks for the tip!!

~K
Posted Image

And.... I'm here!!!

Mikhail Amarese

Mikhail Amarese

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Chad, I just have to say that if you start writing another comic in your Thief style, but based on PvM, you're going to ruin even more of my potential productivity at work.

I'm STILL fighting the urge to make a thief and jump to Fel from reading your previous comics.

It's nice to see you having fun on the dark side though! I hope it works out well for you! ^^

John Dell

John Dell

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,116 posts
rp funestest

Tired of running through the same dungeons on your pink haired polar bear?
Tired of doing bods all day and getting any interaction or adventure?
Join Cove!
Baronship of Cove - Rebel Against Everything!

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts

I'm still elf, until I find that night sight gorget or legs, but human for 2 reasons:

1) I only have MR2 on the suit. Vamp form helps, but MR3 more would be huge.

2) I want to see the Jester Hat.

Just go human, and carry a couple regs with you. The 20 Magery from JOAT will allow you to cast Night Sight with no problems.

But you will need to have all Medable armor in order to get the 2 MR from the 20 Med from JOAT.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Vepl

Vepl

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,288 posts
Welcome to UO Forums Koneko DeMent :)

Vepl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Another Quality Job by Atlas607

Koneko DeMent

Koneko DeMent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Welcome to UO Forums Koneko DeMent :)

Vepl

Thanks Vepl!! But you've met me ^o^ Any De'Ment you see will be me behind them.

On topic: I'm thinking of revamping my warrior a bit just to get the necro spells like the weapon life leech one, should be handy :D
Posted Image

And.... I'm here!!!

Vepl

Vepl

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,288 posts
LOL That I have :) . Tis doubly good to see you here on the forums. Enjoyed talking to the two of you after the hunt.

Vepl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Another Quality Job by Atlas607

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

uothief.com

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

I've never found a functional luck suit but I am an artie !!!!!

It's the axe that makes it all work. I don't know about you, but I've been looking for a set of 140 luck / super slayer of any type of weapon since AoS came out. And to this day, I have zero of them. I was using a Horselord with my archer/tamer, but there's only so much you can kill with 2 slayer types.

Question: What monsters have the top tier of loot drops?

The axe even has fire resist to help with vamp.

:bigsmirk4:

Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Wycorp--Dwarf Hunter

• Members
  • 2,120 posts

What monsters have the top tier of loot drops?

Hmmm, probably goes something like:

Peerless bosses
Spawn Champs (especially if you count the gold drop)
ML Minibosses (Swoop, Miasma, etc.)
Doom Bosses (according to what Ive heard, the loot is pretty craptacular down there)
followed by the top tier Legacy mobs, Ancient Wyrn and Balron.

Under that you can probably just go by Fame Level for the most part...

Posted Image

Koneko DeMent

Koneko DeMent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The best loot for a while was off of Vorpral Bunnies but I'm sure that's been nerfed like no one's business. Off hand I'd have to say the new ML critters have the best I've seen thus far, it's more or less dependent on perserverance to which mob you want to kill. Kill enough of them and you'll find what you are looking for ^_~
Posted Image

And.... I'm here!!!

Baldguy

Baldguy

AKA Thom O'Bedlam. Got a Question? I got a link for ya!

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
I have a 140 luck S/C 2 scorpion slayer (think Miasma). It's on LA. Join the UOF guild and it's yours Chad!

Useful links

[UO:F Common FAQ] [UO Guide] [Official UO Play Guide] [UO Feedback] [More Links, gathered by the Forum]
[B][SIZE="3"]Got a Question, or a great answer? PM me with it and I will post in the FAQ.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fun, pvm