Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'm afraid that I'm one of those, however, wh

- - - - - afraid reply taking time wh

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
a fun thread started on UO Stratics forums

Just a fun post.... no one get all crazy okay?

How do you refer to your characters?
Do you use the skill "My bard" or do you just say "my character" or do you say "toon"?

One of the biggest things that makes me flinch is when I see someone say "my toon"
It's kinda a disrespect to the game to me.
"My toon just hit 80 wrestle!" Ugh!

Most people call me "F" no matter what character I am on. Sometimes I emote "looks around for someone named F" when people do that but almost everyone knows who I am on one of my accounts. The other... hardly anyone knows *laugh* and I like it that way (i don't really know why) so if I say "My treasure hunter" instead of by her name that would be the reason. But to say "My treasure hunter toon" Ugh!!! Is that just ugly to anyone else? Or is it just me?

Lets talk about something non controversial for a while eh?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I call mine by name....always.

Maharia, my Tamer....and always with gender...Let me get Maharia for you, she'll res your pet.

Devious Desire, my Archer...usually just Devious

Larisa, my other Archer...obvious.

Tinkerbell, my Crafter..Tink usually

Esmerelda, my T-Hunter...Essy

Kili Sapphire, my Dexxor..Kili

In TS it's the same...if they want me in general it's Lars, Larisa, Rissa...Lars get your tamer...whatever.

The only male charactor I have is my red necro mage spellweaver Malicious Intent and noone asks for him by name lol it's always lars get your necro lol.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Toon is definitely annoying and a stupid thing to say about a character in any role playing game, as they're not animated cartoons.

I use either my character's first name or their profession, such as Jarno, Maya, Edin, fencer, mage, archer or crafter for example.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am glad to see I am not the only one who balks at people calling their characters "toons"!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Really good question!

Before I became a UO developer, I always referred to my UO characters by name. I use to have characters named the following:

Malik Yagova - my assassin character
Nadya Modavia - my tamer bard character
Leurocian - my bard / mage character (who would have guessed this one)

and so on.

In other games, I also refer to my character by name.

Patrick "Leurocian" Malott
Game Designer, Ultima Online
EA Mythic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So what about folk here how do you speak of your characters ?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Wycorp--Dwarf Hunter

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
I always use either their skill or char type. My Tamer, my melee char, etc.

Posted Image

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts

I always use either their skill or char type. My Tamer, my melee char, etc.

Same here.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
Name or character type for me.

Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny

indisputably more awesome

• Members
  • 5,665 posts
I go by name because all my characters are a hot mess.
Lady Natasha - the hot mess smith.

Well rub butter on my beautiful butt and call me a croissant!

Posted Image

John Dell

John Dell

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,116 posts
I say "My Dell"

Tired of running through the same dungeons on your pink haired polar bear?
Tired of doing bods all day and getting any interaction or adventure?
Join Cove!
Baronship of Cove - Rebel Against Everything!

Brom

Brom

Introverted Barbarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
I find the term "toon" irritating :P. When I used to play WoW people would refer to their characters as toons as well. Silly. Rediculous. I dont like it.

-"How dare you refer to me as a toon you ignorant knave!"
-*turns to fellow guardsman and speak quietly....*
-"Whats a toon?"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny

• Members
  • 5,665 posts
I don't care for the world Toon either :P hehe

Posted Image

Ally

Ally

The Couch Hottie

• Members
  • 3,310 posts
I call them by their name.

John Dell

John Dell

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,116 posts

I find the term "toon" irritating :P. When I used to play WoW people would refer to their characters as toons as well. Silly. Rediculous. I dont like it.

-"How dare you refer to me as a toon you ignorant knave!"
-*turns to fellow guardsman and speak quietly....*
-"Whats a toon?"

Haha. I remember one time when a blue came by a road block and asked us if we were npc's. That was ace.. not that that has anything to do with this.. but I just wanted to share it.. :cheesy:

Tired of running through the same dungeons on your pink haired polar bear?
Tired of doing bods all day and getting any interaction or adventure?
Join Cove!
Baronship of Cove - Rebel Against Everything!

Adri

Adri

Wearing metal panties in a lightning storm

• Members
  • 6,179 posts
I call mine by profession. My tamer, my necro, my t-hunter, my craftsperson, my paladin.

buddy lee

buddy lee

Agent Zero

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

I call mine by profession. My tamer, my necro, my t-hunter, my craftsperson, my paladin.

thats what i do also

Vepl

Vepl

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,288 posts
Depends on who I am talking to and about but never call them "toon" :-/

Vepl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Another Quality Job by Atlas607

Jakar

Jakar

I'm very sneaky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
I agree Vepl. If i'm talking to people I regularly play with i'll call them by name: "Sure, let me go get Riki.". But, if I'm speaking to someone I don't know: "Sure, I'll be right back wtih my samurai."

Posted Image

Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny

• Members
  • 5,665 posts

I agree Vepl. If i'm talking to people I regularly play with i'll call them by name: "Sure, let me go get Riki.". But, if I'm speaking to someone I don't know: "Sure, I'll be right back wtih my samurai."

Ah i think i do this actually :laugh:

Posted Image

Guest_Sandra Lee_*

Guest_Sandra Lee_*
  • Guests
Character name.. If I have to get someone other than the character I am playing .. then I generally refer to them as the character I have out would. For instance.... Sandra Lee is a foundling of sorts but raised in a household with lots of other girls by a woman that couldn't have children. They are all foster siblings but consider themselves "sisters". If someone else needs their armor repaired. I'd say something to the effect of "My sister Connie can fix that gorget. She will be here shortly.. please don't tell her you saw me. She'll go on and on and on about ladylike behavior and my lack of it."

I don't think I've ever referred to them as my smith, my bard, my swordswoman, my alchemist ... and I know I never, ever, ever referred to one as a toon.

Tryken

Tryken

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I completely agree. I can't stand it when people call it 'toon'. I just don't say anything because I assume that's the lingo that kids use these days. Retarded lingo, yes, but lingo it still is, I suppose. I say 'my paladin', or 'my mage-tamer'. It makes it a lot more conveniant for my guild to know what character I'm referring to when doing things rather than attempting to relate a name to a class. Coordination is important. 'Toon' achieves none of this, and still sounds like WoW fans, or whatever this came from, are weeding their stupidity into all MMOs.

Best,
Tryken.

DarksieD

DarksieD

The old guy from Atlantic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Ditto
Posted Image

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
I call them by name, character type, or profession, except for this scenario:

I'm on as one character (let's say, my tamer) and someone needs something from another character (let's say, a guild mate needs a potion keg made up). I will type in guild chat, "brb - switching toons."

That's about the only time I refer to them as toons - when I'm switching characters.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: afraid, reply, taking, time, wh