Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

MMOG Chart Updates - UO Subscriptions going down still?

- - - - - chart mmog subscriptions uo updates

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No idea if it's totally accurate, but according to his latest update to the MMOG chart, UO has lost 30-35K of active subscriptions from Jan 2005 - October 2005 (ish)

That's a rough guess looking at this chart

Note: This chart is supposed to be accurate as far as UO goes, no idea about the other games.

Posted Image

Guest_HarleyQuinn_*

Guest_HarleyQuinn_*
  • Guests
that cant be a good sign

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
To compare it to WOW, for instance (Assuming it's accurate)

Posted Image

We're down to 130 subscribers, apparently

Mar-05	Apr-05	May-05	Jun-05	Jul-05	Aug-05	Sep-05	Oct-05	Nov-05	Dec-05	Jan-06

157000						130000				130000

Tukaram

Tukaram

Old & grouchy

• Members
  • 1,025 posts
Really if you look at it Lineage and WoW are waaaaay up there. Everything is about the same level, or close to each other.

City of Heroes is holding it's own though. :)

Tuka :cool:

Posted Image

Kinsmen are born. Friendship is a gift of the gods.

Ly-Las

Ly-Las

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
I also notice no Guildwars, hit 1 mill subscribers about 6 months ago and has continued to grow. Additionaly it now has an expansion out which is top of all the charts in 5 game shops where i live.

Talon

Talon

Offical Cookie Taster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
The big drop in UO could be all the exploiters that got kicked off :)
Posted Image

Digital

Digital

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Unfortunately this is the result of people choosing graphics over gameplay.

I have played both WoW & UO and UO wins hands down for gameplay, WoW wins hands down for graphics.

I mean you know you are in a world dominated by eye candy when they annouce they are making QUAD SLI graphics cards.

Pretty sad really.

I hear lots of rumbles in the UO camp about promising things coming up, lets hope that they prove to work.

I think the only eventual way to keep a healthy subscriber base is to choose another engine (keep the isomorphic style) and rewrite it. To survive the game needs to be brought up to date with today's graphical standards.

And yes I know this is not an easy task in any way shape or form, but in the end it will be this or fold it.

p.p.s I would be more than happy for UO to stay in its current graphical state as they bring back great memories, but if you want fresh blood into the game you need to adapt and evolve.

Another point point to when new players enter the game. Back when I started you entered in a town and it was buzzing with people to talk to. You enter the game now and it is a ghost town and feels really cold. They honestly nearly need to move the starting point to Luna or something. I know Luna is WAY over crowded, but it has got to be better than entering the game into silence and with no one to answer your questions.

DamageFactor

DamageFactor

Legendary Newbie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

I hear lots of rumbles in the UO camp about promising things coming up, lets hope that they prove to work.

I think the only eventual way to keep a healthy subscriber base is to choose another engine (keep the isomorphic style) and rewrite it. To survive the game needs to be brought up to date with today's graphical standards.

And yes I know this is not an easy task in any way shape or form, but in the end it will be this or fold it.

What rumbles are you speaking of? Can they really revamp the graphics and maintain the "UO" feel that we so enjoy?

I seem to always be out of the loop concerning the recent happenings with UO... This is the only site concerning UO that is not blocked by my employer... I'm too busy playing UO at home to check... :grin:
You might be a geek if you quote some obscure 16th century German philosopher... You ARE a geek if you quote it in German... -Some unknown 16th century German philosopher

Digital

Digital

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

What rumbles are you speaking of? Can they really revamp the graphics and maintain the "UO" feel that we so enjoy?

I seem to always be out of the loop concerning the recent happenings with UO... This is the only site concerning UO that is not blocked by my employer... I'm too busy playing UO at home to check... :grin:

Sorry when I say rumbles I don't mean graphical changes, im mainly talking gameplay changes & them talking about big plans for UO. This info was sourced from reading the Stratics forums, and the interview with Wilki here at UOforums.

I think in an interview I saw they knew about the graphics issue, but it was not on the cards AFAIK at this stage.

RMS Carpathia

RMS Carpathia

Madien of the Great Blue

• Members
  • 2,443 posts
I have played World of Warcraft it is fun for awhile but all it is "graphics" and raiding / pvping... that is all there is left at level 60. I played both Horde and Alliance finding nothing but that at the end. UO might be not so hot on the graphics though I think the graphics are cute and unique in thier own way but rather be with UO than WoW any ole day. I will play it from time to time though.

Alot of my WoW friends seen my going over to UO and they were amazed and wondering why would I go to a 2D game once they started to play and try it out they loved it and now we are all playing UO togeather ^_^

As for the charts I would imagen that is people getting kicked from UO because of exploits you be amazed how many people got kicked from WoW from using exploits. I am glad they are watching out for this... if your going to play a game, play it right or don't play it at all.

-RMS Carpathia-

KCMartin76

KCMartin76

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
It is sad to see a game like UO going down so far. I have tried other games and there isn't anything out there that has the gameplay UO does I hope they have things in store that will bring people back to UO or build new peeps interest. Either way I will be here until UO is no more.

Ly-Las

Ly-Las

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
My days left in UO are numberd. I just cant motivated in the game anymore. Ill soon be another number leaving the game soon :(

Posted Image

Mapper

Mapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
Shame to see it, But atleast UO isnt the emptiest game out there!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Mapper - Egan - Tari Seregon - Aeldur
Europa News Manager on Stratics

Ly-Las

Ly-Las

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
True, but i think its losing its charm a bit. Perhaps ive played to long, perhaps its cause of some of the people, i dont know.... I think having a problem in game that heavily effects your RL is a big downer on a game, whatever it is. Think thats the main reason i cant get motivated ingame anymore. Just not a place on the internet i realy want to be anymore.

Posted Image

Mapper

Mapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
I havent really played since the EM's stopped.. When the EM's return I sure will dive back into the game. Perhaps your lack of motivation is the lack of EM Events? *shrugs* I enjoy em.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ly-Las

Ly-Las

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
Could be, the current scripted scenario isnt doing anything for me but i guess seeing as the EMs are coming back it might spark some intrest in me.

Posted Image

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I only went to about...3 EM events
They were disorganised, laggy and..well, so repetative.
Spawn XX monsters, read from a book, goto another location, spawn another bunch of monsters, read another book/tale, then spawn a rehued "boss" monster which one hit kills.

Not for me i'm afraid

Mapper

Mapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
I agree, The current Inu thing I dont understand very well, And Adam some people looooove killing monsters lol.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ly-Las

Ly-Las

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
On europa we had a realy good season last season. The EM was realy active in person, often just hung out in some of the RP spots, some events were effected by the players communitys that turned up and i guess it felt like we were realy part of the story rather just bashing monsters. Its prolly why i dont like how this season is going. It just feels like a 'do this' & 'do that' case. A monster bash perhaps and then some bit of story we have no effect on.

Posted Image

Ly-Las

Ly-Las

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

I agree, The current Inu thing I dont understand very well, And Adam some people looooove killing monsters lol.

Dont forget demanding sashes and magic wepaons! :)

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chart, mmog, subscriptions, uo, updates