Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Taming Skill Guide

- - - - - guide skill taming

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Baldguy

Baldguy

AKA Thom O'Bedlam. Got a Question? I got a link for ya!

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
This is not a substitute for researching pet control chance on stratics, and locating dense spawn areas. This is meant only to aide in locating denser, safer spawns for gaining from 0 to 120 taming. Mordana of UO Pacific Rangers started this. I have modified it some to reflect newer changes since 2005, and add in specific skill ranges.

"Part One - Understanding how Taming gains work
(If you just want the "bare bones guide" to what to tame at what skill, skip to "Part Two")

The implementation of the Guaranteed Gain System (GGS) has eliminated skill gains from failed attempts, so it is important to understand that you need to tame animals that are challenging enough to tame and faciliate a skill gain but don't let you fail too often.

The most critical change in taming skill gain probably are the control slots. With the implementation of publish 16 you will only be able to tame and command as many creatures as you have control slots for, so people will have to release their tames in order to tame more. All those players who were too lazy to release their tames in the past will now be forced to learn a lesson or slow down their own skill advancement drastically.

In order to optimize your chances for skill gains you will have to focus on taming creatures that won't let you fail too often but are still challenging enough to tame. The "sweet spot" for gains is at the point where you have a chance of about 50% of successfully taming a creature, which is about 25 points below your current skill level. You can gain from slightly harder and easier creatures as well, but the more often you fail the more time you waste, and creatures that are too easy require a lot of volume for decent gains. Most people find they get the best gains if they tame a variety of creatures while staying within the range of 40-60% of success chance.

Use the Taming and Control Calculator to determine what you should be taming at your level. "

"Part Two - The "bare bones" guide to raising Taming
(If you want to understand why the method below works, read "Part One")

The main key to great taming gains is quantity, so do not, I repeat do not bother with wandering around different areas taming, renaming and releasing animals - you will only be slowing yourself down. If you have no intention forgetting about that old routine, don't even bother reading on, since it won't help you.

Tame, release and kill, so you will have a steady supply of fresh spawned creatures with a known taming difficulty without wasting time on finding the next animal to tame. You can tame one creature and kill the previously tamed one at the same time, so by the time you are done with both, a new one will have spawned close by. With this method you will easily be able to tame at least twice as many creatures as someone who just roams around doing the old, ineffective tame-rename-release routine. Twice as many tames means twice as many successful skill checks, which also means more chances to gain!

Buy your skill from an NPC up to the 30s, or start a new character with 50 taming. Alternatively make use of any taming increase jewelry you may have. The numbers below refer to your skill level regardless if you are wearing jewelry or not, the game doesn't care if you have for example 60 "real" skill or reach that level by putting on jewelry - your success chance is the same, and that is what counts for taming gains.

I have only listed animals that spawn in plentiful numbers and their spawn locations, since you want the fast and simple version. For any more in-depth explanations, go back and read "Part One". "

Current Skill Level Creature to tame Convenient spawn locations
0-30 dog, gorilla, rabbit, jack rabbit, weak mongbat, skittering hopper, all small birds, cat, chicken, mountain goat, rat & sewer rat.
Locations: Most towns, Jhelom bull pen, Delucia

30-42 cow, goat, pig, sheep.
Locations: Moonglow, Jhelom bull pen, Delucia, Yew sheep pens

42-60 hind, timber wolf
Locations: Delucia area, plains north of the City of the Dead in T2A, "Healer's Grove" NW of Lakeshire in Ilshenar, Barrier Isle in Trinsic.

Due to the limited spawn of animals that get you through this point, I strongly recommend using animal taming jewelry to get you to the next section, Ice Island (60-85). If you have access to decent taming jewelry (+12 or better) you can be working Ice Island for gains from 30 (bought) to 98 real skill.
{/I]

60-85 polar bear, walrus
Locations: Ice Island, T2A Artic Area
If you are using taming jewelry, slowly supplement your jewelry with lower skill amount jewels. This will keep you in the sweet spot longer, and give you better gains. To expound on this in terms of WHAT"S IN IT FOR ME, in less than 24 hours of taming, with skillful use of jewelry to manage your skill level, you will be at 85 taming, which can be easily taken to 120 with jewels and a Bords of Brit talisman.

* 73-85 you can start adding snow leopards
Locations: Arctic Areas of T2A

85 to 105ish (works to 109) White Wolves, great harts and grizzlies
Locations: T2A. Great harts are numerous throughout. Grizzlies are numerous in Damwin's Thicket. Great harts are numerous in many forested areas of Trammel. White Wolves are, of course, mainly on Ice island.

* 89 to 100, you can train on Gaman. These are very plentiful in UOSE.
Locations[I]: UOSE Homare's Eye, Homare-Jima, Homare-Jima Moongate, Hotaka Plains

* in the mid/high 90s you can start adding bulls Delucia area, plains
north of the City of the Dead in T2A, "Healer's Grove" NW of Lakeshire in
Ilshenar, Barrier Isle in Trinsic, Unicorn spawn area by the Spirituality
Moongate, Damwin Thicket
* optional: Ice Island, Arctic Areas of T2A
* optional: Jhelom bull pen, Delucia

105ish to 120 Your best bet are ridgebacks, but even fresh bulls in sufficient quantity will take you there.
* optional: giant toads and dire wolves are a nice, plentiful, rarely camped alternative. Savage territory near Blackthorn's Castle in Ilshenar, pen in the far corner of the Savage village
* optional: toads at Hopper's Bog, dire wolves near "Healer's Grove" NW of Lakeshire in Ilshenar or at the Savage territorry with the ridgebacks.

Still under construction - thom:embarasse

Useful links

[UO:F Common FAQ] [UO Guide] [Official UO Play Guide] [UO Feedback] [More Links, gathered by the Forum]
[B][SIZE="3"]Got a Question, or a great answer? PM me with it and I will post in the FAQ.

Reiver

Reiver

Preceptor of Silver Dawn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
or from the mid 105 up range its worth doing kirins and unicorns (characters sex dependant) in malas..

particularly if your donating to the zoo

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
If you have ever considered using an Advanced Character, do yourself a huge favor and use it on your Tamer.

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
Personally, once I get high enough to jewel up to 115+, I spend most of my time taming cu sidhe's for gains. But that only works until natural skill 117 or so, for some reason. It was brought up at the 2008 UO Town Hall meeting in Chicago, and Leurocian had explained that another series of high end pets was not giving proper gains due to a miscalculation, and that the same might be true for cu sidhe's. Haven't heard anything since.

By the time I get to 117 natural, though, it takes so long to gain that I usually just log in and do my GGS gain every other day.

IKEA

IKEA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for this guide... it's finally made me buck my ideas up and actually work taming, instead of reliance on the modified outfit I use. 120 animal lore naturally, but taming boosted from 87 to 120 through mod items.

I still refuse to pay the silly prices for taming SOTs. They want 1mil per 0.1 point on Great Lakes...

Guest_williamparkar_*

Guest_williamparkar_*
  • Guests
If you have ever considered using an Advanced Character, do yourself a huge favor and use it on your Tamer.

Nill

Nill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Is taming a skill where is just need to sit there and do it all myself? any tricks to having a little help when taming?

Reiver

Reiver

Preceptor of Silver Dawn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
No taming isn't a skill to be smply macroed.. it takes hours of work if not days pushing even weeks.. Its not for the faint hearted but its also VERY rewarding when you finally have that GD on a chain..

big factor to remember is quantity is better than quality (to some degree at least) meaning don't tame the most difficult thing you can find but aim to tame approx 20 skill points below your current. The guide in the forums tells you everything else.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Oriana

Oriana

Guildmistress, Gentle Rest Inn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
I have one tamer at 120 natural skill. From about 105 to 120 I tamed nothing but ridgebacks for gains. Part way through this process a kind guildmate told me about the ridgeback spawn inside the savage village in central Ilshenar.

Why is the Ilshenar savage village a brilliant spot to tame ridgebacks and how do I stay alive amid all the savages? First, get yourself some savage kin paint and apply it before you start. http://www.uoguide.c...avage_Kin_Paint Unless you attack any savages (which causes the paint to *explode* and damage you severely), you can walk unscathed among them.

Next, go as deep as possible into the village until you find the ridgeback spawn. You will find a couple of them. Tame one ridgeback. Release. While you are taming his twin, the savages will kill the one you released. Then another will spawn instantly. You have an unlimited supply of insta-respawning ridgebacks in one small area which the savages kill for you almost immediately, and this speeds up the taming process enormously.

Unless the spawn in that area has changed since I did my 120, I recommend it highly.

Cork

Cork

Guildmaster, The Grey Council

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
When I quit playing UO I left my tamer at 105 natural skill and bumped it to 120 with jewelry. I guess it's time to spend days building it the rest of the way. Thanks for all the info posted here :)

Gilmour

Gilmour

Danish Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
So you are saying that bulls work to 120? I normally do ridgebacks but the area is sealed off atm :(

currently 110.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Theo Westaman

Theo Westaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
From 85 i head over to jhelom bull pens and tame them
Theoden Westaman

chaos

chaos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Should I lock my lore to get taming up?

Andee79

Andee79

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I don't see why locking Lore would affect your taming skill. A skill is checked at a succesful attempt. It's not dependent on another skill to be checked when succesful.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: guide, skill, taming