Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Stealing from NPC's/Getting caught

- - - - - caught npc or getting stealing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Maeglid

Maeglid

Hiding somewhere on Catskills

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
OK, so I am having a little fun with one of my characters stealing from NPC chests. Nothing fantastic, but a little humorous...

Anyway, I have seen the picture of the 'you've been seen' radius. It seems like you can steal successfully within this area, and not been seen.

Have I been lucky (several white gowns later), or are you ALWAYS noticed in that area?

Thanks!

Ultimately trying to score all the wire coils and both the left and right facing 'hot iron' from blacksmith chests. Haven't seen ANY yet.

"You're Ultima Online - the game that does not condone the coooooool crime of stealing!" - Bender B. Rodrigues

Vepl

Vepl

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,288 posts
If a NPC is close and you have been seen..........................you're toast no questions asked. If the NPC's are not close enough and a player doesn't call "guards" you can get away with it :-/

Vepl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Another Quality Job by Atlas607

Maeglid

Maeglid

Hiding somewhere on Catskills

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
Well, I just tried it out. An NPC vendor right next to me did not catch me swiping a cheese wedge, an ear of corn, and such. So you CAN have someone within the 'notice' range and yet not be seen. COOL! :D

Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Wycorp--Dwarf Hunter

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
No, you always have a chance to grab what you are stealing and not be seen. Let me see if I can find the list....

Stealing is effected by Line of sight (LOS). Stealing while your PC victim is directly facing you will 99% of time get you noticed. NPC's however act very strangly, they have eyes in the back of their heads and see through walls. However, here are the possible outcomes.
1.) You successfully steal the item – Nobody noticed you! Beautiful!
2.) You steal the item, but are noticed! – You are gray to everyone. If in a guard zone, you better start running before someone calls them on you!
3.) You steal the item, but you turn gray to your victim – Being only gray to your victim has it’s advantages, he may not see your name anymore, and has to hit All Names to take notice.
4.) You fail to steal the item – Not good, you are noticed as a failure, and you’re gray! However, you do not turn Perma-Grey! This is handy information for anyone trying to wack you around town and is waiting for you to turn Perma!
5.) That item is too heavy to steal – You tried to target something over 10 stone weight. You stay blue.
6.) That item has no value to you – You targeted a newbie item or your stealing from a Young player. You stay blue.
Keep in mind that if you die after a minute you steal, the stolen item returns to the owner. Now if you had a partner to hold that item for you….
Keep in mind you do NOT turn gray stealing from other Grays or Reds.

Taken from here.

Posted Image

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
I miss my thief char. My favorite stealable is from the herb shop - the dried flowers and dried herbs. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: caught, npc or getting, stealing