Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Merging Shards - Good or Bad?

- - - - - bad good merging shards

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Thradia

Thradia

*licks*

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
Posted on UO Stratics:

Player: I have been wondering, considering that some servers have very low populations at the moment, what if EA were to merge some of the shards togeather to revitalize the in-game communities? It seems, since I have returned, that things are rather barren and most lands are ghost towns? Would merging the servers idea be a good solution for PvPers, Roleplayers, Spawners, and so fourth? I think so, but what does everyone else think?

Of course, IF they did merge the servers togeather, I think they should...
- Make sure houses, with all their items and content are transferable to the new servers (Considering how many people do not even play anymore, their should be alot more land opening up if a fresh slate was availible. Perhaps a progressive lottery occurs in which players are let in a group at a time to get a chance to place, or perhaps groups based on age get first pick).
- Open up more land around certain places, such as Luna, and allow house owners near Luna are able to get vendor houses near Luna once more. Perhaps expand the walls of Luna outwards, creating more roads, and more land for vendor malls.
- Investigate player-run communities and roleplayed cities, giving roleplayer cities a chance to transfer their cities over before the land is taken up by others.
- Move Seer and EM creations over from one server to another, so that some of the servers history is not lost.

I think this would be good, because it would make PvP more active (more people to PvP with), more roleplaying (more roleplayers on a given server), more people to hunt with, more crafter competition. It has its disadvantages, but unless a massive wave of new players comes in, I see alot of servers as ghost towns.

CatHat: Hmmm... Hypothetically I think such a move would really screw up the housing for the players who's shard is folded up into another. It basically wouldn't really be a "merge" for those people would it? - more like - "Hey somebody already has your housing spot by the road - hope you can find a better 18x18 place this time around." Not nice - kinda like Douglas Adams scenario of a fella waking up and finding a bulldozer baring down on his cottage. oO

Given time and effort i think the shards will be refilled with people. Ok hopefully not to the point where its a nuisance - "Hey get off my lawn!" - but i don't think cutting back on shards is a spiffy idea. I'd certainly be supremely annoyed to lose my sweet housing spot - wouldn't you?

I can't help but think forcing people to move might be worse than the light traffic on their shard.

Personally, i have enough traffic on my shard (LS) to keep me busy interacting with folk nearly all of the time I log on - even during weird hours.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Snowy

Snowy

Pretty Nice Disguise, isn't it?

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
Amen.

~

"It's definitely a Bubble Bath Day.". ~ Dove Promise

~

Lady Flame (DrR)

Lady Flame (DrR)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
Darkscribe confirms there is to be no merging of shards in an interview. http://uo.stratics.c...raticscasts.php
Posted Image

Kimmy

Kimmy

=^.^=

• Members
  • 1,128 posts
Bad Bad Bad

Making Sosaria Beautiful one home at a time.

Posted Image

Tukaram

Tukaram

Old & grouchy

• Members
  • 1,025 posts
I am starting to get scared of CatHat. Too many of his post really make sense. I'm just not used to seeing that. :)

Tuka :cool:

Posted Image

Kinsmen are born. Friendship is a gift of the gods.

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
Yah its almost as if he's one of us....maybe he is one of us....maybe he's you... or me.....

Either way, I do like what hes saying, and seems to have a real good head on his shoulders. I do not want to have to move shards or share shards. I dont want to have to imagine trying to get a better ping anywhere else, its bad enough from S Dakota to Baja. (that was the least of all evils when I joined)

SpyderBite

SpyderBite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I think all the Devs "make sense".. some just have problems posting it publically in a manner which people will understand. Thus they post less frequently and the purpose behind Wilki's position as the community representative.

Draconi and Grimm hang out in IRC almost daily and are really on top of things.. but of course its in a casual environment with little worry about getting grilled, flamed, etc. CatHat obviously has a knack for "public speaking" .. or posting rather.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bad, good, merging, shards