Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

A 'Whats your template?' Thread

- - - - - template thread

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Ly-Las

Ly-Las

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
I posted on a Guildwars forum once asking what build (GW version of template) people had, along with brief a explanation. We ended up with a 200 post long thread and a superb collection of everything from basic core templates through to the wierd and whacky templates.

Im intrested to see if we can have a nice thread like that here too. Ill start by posting my fave templates at the moment.

Provo/Peace Tamer

110 Music
110 Peacemaking
110 Provoke
110 Taming
100 Animal lore
90 Vetting
90 Magery

Yeah pretty basic, we all know how it works, but i always got bored snotless being a straight peace tamer so always hugged and loved provoke :)

Necro/Arcanist

105 necro
120 Spirit speak
120 Spellweaving
100 Meditation
100 hiding
80 Stealth
95 Chiv

This character has changed repeatedly over the last few months. I have camped swoop a few times (dodging pixies ;) ) summoning 3 lich lords and 5 midgie swarms means i barely have time to pain spike a swoop before its dead :D . Its something different, and realy fun to play. Takes a bit of luck to get a good focus level though hehe :)

SpyderBite

SpyderBite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
120 Fencing
120 Necro
100 Poisoning
120 Spirit Speak
110 Resist
110 Meditate

Room for when I can afford the scrolls to boost up my resist and Med

Guest_Luis_*

Guest_Luis_*
  • Guests
My favorite templates to play are the old school stun/heal mage:

Mage
Med
Eval
Resist
Wrestling
Heal
Anat

and a template that a friend and I cooked up. Its a crazy mix of a bunch of skills

100 Swords
100 Mage
100 Resist
80 Eval
80 Tact
80 Healling
80 Anat
55 Med
25 Poison

Works WONDERFULLY!

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
These are 2 templates I am working on.

bushido
ninjitsu
chiv
swords
tact
resist
split focus/med not sure which one yet. This char is wearing a 42 hpregen suit, bokuto, wood shield, no healing, just regen, close wounds, confidence. death strike to keep em from running, nerve strike to stop em again, lightning strike to finish off

My future char which I am in the process of building will do nothing but rezkill and jack with peoples spawns.
Will be
120 resist, so I can have some resists, as I will be naked with maybe a few arcane items
100necro
100ss
110chiv
90stealth
90hide
100med
I got this idea one day when some assclown guild was stealthing in and hitting our harrower, so I figured I want to do the same but with a twist. stealth around to the reds heal/rez spot. wither, holy light, stealth away. Its mean, its probably not ethical, but screw it. If people can run around chaining wands, scrolls and book spells at me, why cant I have some dirty fun back!! hehe

Ly-Las

Ly-Las

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

These are 2 templates I am working on.

120 resist, so I can have some resists, as I will be naked with maybe a few arcane items
100necro
100ss
110chiv
90stealth
90hide
100med

Someones been doing this recently on europa! Arf! If its you, grats on the amount of kills you got last night! Never seen so many corpses outside delucia in all my life :P

For a spot of info though, naked 80 stealth is fine. Usually only need to go above 80 if you wear non med armour. Use that odd 10 to bump hiding to 100. Holy light 100% cast is 105, id take 5 out of chiv and put into necro because 105 necro gives 100% casting of strangle. So i had 100% holy light and 100% strangle (had a stealth archer necro for spawns, would strangle/corpse skin champ then sneak off to kill folk, then renew strangle after a min or so). Resist could be dropped to 100 (only difference is 44 down to 40 in resists) and 20 put into spirit speak. 20 spirit speak doesnt sound like much but when on my archer and necro pally fencer i found it made a hell of a difference!

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
Like I said though, its still in the works, I havent even gotten to a point where I can go out and play with this char yet. If anything, it will be a good spawning char too, I can just throw on my necro/mage suit, and be 4/6 casting with 45lmc, 43sdi, 8mr, 8hpr and boom, another char to use. Or just throw on a resist LRC LMC suit and use the staff, but I would lose like 2 fc. I do not play on Europa though, I am in South Dakota, the ping there probably wouldnt even let me get out of a gate.

The hard part of this char will be keeping karma high enough so that my holy lights will be worth a damn. If I plan on using the char for other than griefing, to be a wither, HL spamming fool in spawns. For griefing though, I dont want to have to precast anything, I want to be able to stealth up to the spots, and pop out a wither and then disappear again.

Its still a work in progress though, and I forgot about 105 being 100% on HL, so yah, I can just stop at 105. The last thing I would want to do is stealth up, cast HL and fizzle. hehe, I would feel like a moron as I get dropped in a heartbeat. I may switch it up a bit and go 110 necro, so I never fail at wither, and 110 SS, and use the 10ss tali. But as I said before, its still in the workings, and once its complete its gonna rock!

Thradia

Thradia

*licks*

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
These are the templates of the 2 characters I play the most on Napa...

110 - Magery
110 - Eval
110 - Meditation
100 - Focus
100 - Alchemy
100 - Inscription (not quite 100 yet, but it will be eventually)
90 - my last skills vary...I think they are swords/parry right now..I drop and add things all the time.

110 - Archery
100 - Tactics
100 - Anatomy
100 - Healing
100 - Fletching
100 - Chivalry
50 - Focus
25 - Cooking
25 - Camping

Posted Image
Posted Image

Gwenyth

Gwenyth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
Well, Gwenyth has progressed thru the years and is currently a Mage/Tamer. Her current template is :

115 Taming
115 Veterinary
115 Lore
110 Magery
100 Eval Int
100 Meditation
65 Resist

If/when I can afford some 120 scrolls I'll be dropping the points I've got in resist to accomodate them. This is truly my favorite character and the one I'm most comfortable playing. I do have a Peacer/Spellweaver that I'm also working. I'm trying to play her a bit more. Her template is:

115 Spellweaving
110 Music
110 Peacing
110 Magery
100 Eval Int
100 Meditation
75 Resist

She's my work in progress and I'm trying to get used to playing her. Right now her magery is only 90 something and I see a big difference between her and Gwenyth that is hard to get used to.
Posted Image

DamageFactor

DamageFactor

Legendary Newbie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
My wife had a few char slots left, so I ran up this template:

Fencing
Tactics
Anatomy
Healing
Magery
Evaluate Int
Focus

Not yet trained up, I expect to only GM each skill (at least until the full effects of the proficiency system are known.)

Purpose of this char is massive damage, I have a dagger with 40% hit lightning and deadly poison charges. The combination of deadly poison and cronic lightning strikes (Enhanced by eval and jewlery) from a super fast dagger should prove quite effective in dispatching my target.

Magery is more of an afterthought, but the ability to buff myself and debuff my target should prove helpful. Also assists in getting around in game obviously.

My question, if spell resist will prove to be required for a good template (once the prof system is installed), what skill should I remove? Healing is simply out of the question, magery fizzles could mean swift death for myself if I can't heal. However removing any others would harm the effectiveness of the desired result.

Another question, would replacing magery with chiv be more ideal? Casting on the run and the combative spells should prove helpful.

Thanks for the input!
You might be a geek if you quote some obscure 16th century German philosopher... You ARE a geek if you quote it in German... -Some unknown 16th century German philosopher

Achilles

Achilles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Dexxer
120 mace
120 anat
120 healing
120 resist
120 bushido
115 tactics (bought 120 but isnt trained)

Necro/Mage
120 ss
120 necro
115 eval
110 magery (ate a 115 but not trained)
115 resist
120 med

Ly-Las

Ly-Las

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
@ damagefactor : Id say drop healing, mages mini heals are without a dought the best pvp heals at fc2 fcr4. Id also suggest dropping focus for meditation. You will want more mana than stamina in PvP. Take some refresh pots with you to bring your stam up to full and your happy.

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
You can also probably get rid of anatomy along with healing, since the damage increase is minor. You will want to primarily be a mage with a weapon skill, not the other way around. 100 mage just doesnt cut it anymore, you need like 106.7 to cast 7th circle spells with 100% success. I would go something like this

110 Fencing(minimum)
110Tactics
110Magery
110Evaluate Int
110Med
110 resist
rest in focus, but do it in 20 incriments, as 39 is the same as 20, as far as regen points.

I suggest 110s because the scrolls are easy to obtain, and if you want to go over, then you can do it as you get the scrolls.

And you wont be getting any lightning strikes without bushido, and a minimum of 50 at that.

Having chiv will be nice cause you can do divine fury, Conc weap, remove curse, and this will also free up tons of points, as you do not need to go over 80 chiv, so that frees up all your eval and some of the magery, then replace the eval back with anatomy and healing(using the free points and not using focus)
So something like
110 fencing
110 tact
100 anat
100 heal
80 chiv
110 (now you may want to weigh out if you want resist or parry)
that is 610, and depending on how much cap room you have, you can get gm parry or resist, and keep both, or throw in bushido.

Was I even understandable? hehe.. I typed alot there

DamageFactor

DamageFactor

Legendary Newbie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Thanks for your suggestions!

Note that this char is not solely for PvP, more of a utility char that can do either well.

I am considering dropping magery for chiv afterall. High resist pieces with substantial LRC are expensive, especially if medable.

I guess I didn't clarify enough about the magery thing, considering I have several Mage-first chars I would like another warrior... With a twist, I see all those 40% hit fireball/lightning/ect weapons and I thought that the combination of a quick fencer weapon and this hit spell ability could mean large damage. (And a way around any PvP damage caps :-p)

Thus I wanted eval int to make the hit spell weapon worthwhile, and thought that magery would compliment as added ability. However I realise the combination of spell fizzile (without wrestling) and when casting Magery I will stop swinging (defeating the purpose of fencing).

Using mini heals is still vulnerable, granted I can't combat every weakness in a template, everyone and their brother has a dexxer.

Thus healing seems to be a good alt...

This char is not a spell caster first, some may think this is strange but I see it too vulnerable without a collection of arties. The eval is simply a way to make maximum damage from a superquick dagger with DP and a high chance of a spell hit.

The idea is to knock a leg out and then lean on them until they fall. Sort of a blitzkrieg of sorts, I don't want to fight a battle of who can heal the best, with offense always on my mind I would lose. I wanna pick the terms of my battles :grin:

So... I just talked myself into doing nothing... with still the same problem of spell resist :-/

Considering I haven't played this game pre AOS, I have no clue how spell resist worked... I will be posting a question in this sub forum asking wtf it is... (If I am correct the rumor is spell resist will work like pre AOS once pup41 is out.)

FYI if you haven't noticed I am new to this forum. I've been on Chesse for 7 months now. If you play chesse I am at luna bank quite often with my chars:

Elminster (ARC)
Dakon Blackblade (ARC)

The others much less so...

Cheers!

DamageFactor

And on a side note with anatomy, correct me if I am wrong (I am at work and Stratics/UO.com is blocked, so I can't check) but doesn't GM allow for a 40% DI increase? That doesn't seem trivial to me, especially when a dagger is low damage anyway.

To elaborate on dodging the PvP cap, technically damage is done twice. So with a fast fencing weapon in theory I could do 70 damage with one hit (I hear the PvP cap is 35 correct?) add some DP and thats a kill no?

I've also heard that you can poison without actually having the skill. Just an infectious weapon thats laced with poison. Is this correct? If it is then why do dexxers actually have poisoning on a char? Why not let one char with it lace each weapon? Seems to be a waste of skill slots, not to mention the extreme ammount of nightshade needed to train both Alchemy and Poisoning to GM...

Thanks for you input!
You might be a geek if you quote some obscure 16th century German philosopher... You ARE a geek if you quote it in German... -Some unknown 16th century German philosopher

Ly-Las

Ly-Las

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
ahh me sees now, if you havent played scince pre AoS, and want to fight on your terms, have you considerd a ninja? Stealth about till you find your target, wait till it is 'your terms', then attack. In ki rin form (high level ninja spell) you move at mounted speed without the mount, get stamina regen 20 billion! (not sure what it is but its laughable its so fast). Combine that with a high speed/spell weapon and viola!

On spell resist, most pvpers want it, some go without. Ninjas generaly go without. If someone does start zapping them they use a smoke bomb to instantly invis themselves, stealth away, heal up, and wait for 'thier terms' again.

welcome to the forum (better late than never! :grin: )

DamageFactor

DamageFactor

Legendary Newbie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

ahh me sees now, if you havent played scince pre AoS, and want to fight on your terms, have you considerd a ninja? Stealth about till you find your target, wait till it is 'your terms', then attack. In ki rin form (high level ninja spell) you move at mounted speed without the mount, get stamina regen 20 billion! (not sure what it is but its laughable its so fast). Combine that with a high speed/spell weapon and viola!

On spell resist, most pvpers want it, some go without. Ninjas generaly go without. If someone does start zapping them they use a smoke bomb to instantly invis themselves, stealth away, heal up, and wait for 'thier terms' again.

welcome to the forum (better late than never! :grin: )

Brilliant! Never considered nijitsu and stealthing... With the element of surprise I can avoid healing wars!

So...

Fencing
Tactics
Evaluate Int
Hiding
Stealth
Ninjitsu
ummmm.... that last one... again I'm stuck lol... I'm thinking Chiv in the event I need to heal... The only real concern is mana then... I also have each of the "Talisman of the Fey" I hear the Cu Sidhe form (did I spell that right?) auto heals... So I might not need chiv in that case... uh... parry then?

lmaorof... one quandary solved and another arises...

uh... a good LRC suit with the full cap of MP regen and then spend the last skill slot on Magery? Go buy a bunch of 120s instead? my head hurts...

Ly-Las

Ly-Las

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
Cu sidhe auto heals.

I had a pally ninja, something like :

110 fencing
100 tactics
80 anatomy
80 chiv
100 ninjitsu
100 hiding
80 stealth
med/focus (split last points between them)

Good fun pvm, although he prolly could have pvp'ed i never did with him. I could have easily lived without anatomy, so easy to make it up with DI items.

DamageFactor

DamageFactor

Legendary Newbie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Must you have poisoning to poison chars with a weapon? Or just a laced infectious weapon?

I... am split on Magery or tracking...

A Mage weapon lowers my magery and adds to my melee right? Considering I can't cast in animal form anyway, it still serves a purpose with extra damage if this is true... However I need an LRC suit and my resists will suffer. But it does add an extra dimension... ARGH!

Tracking however should prove helpful if I go vigilante on some red. This would only be on occasion however and I don't think it is worthy of a skill slot. However if I am correct isn't there a ninjitsu spell that does extra damage if you are stealth and have tracking? Or something like that?

Thanks Ly-Las for putting up with a Legendary Newbie! That 120 newbie powerscroll was cheap for some reason...:grin:

Ly-Las

Ly-Las

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
Deathstrike : Your attack does additional damage based on how far you track your opponent.

Mage weapons : Give you melee skill based on magery and mostly lowers your attack skill.

Swords of propserity (normally around 1.2 - 1.8 mill) or a staff of the magi (normally 3 mill - 6 mill) have mage weapon -0. Meaning they ar weapons that do not lower your magery and are usable like a normal weapon. There is also a staff of power (10k normally), this is only -15 magery and it has faster cast recovery 2. Seeing as youl want a decent FC/FCR if your using magic, this will normally fill your jewlry slots. But you could get a staff of power, take advantage of the FCR2 and have +15 magery on a ring or bracelet.

On the negative side of that though, no slayer weapons etc in pvm, so when you do PvM, your stuck with the same old weapon.

Thinking about it, i had a stealth mage on europa once. Think he had the following :

110 archery
105 magery
110 eval
100 med
100 hiding
80 stealth
80 chivlary (all thats normally needed)
rest in tactics.

Rode an ethy ostard, was great at camping doom an doing spawns, though never seemed to fight with him in pvp.

DamageFactor

DamageFactor

Legendary Newbie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I went with magery, considering time constraints of recent I modified my old fencer from my main acct who already had 97 hiding, 89 stealth and 75 fencing. Bought some magery, eval, and ninjitsu to go along with it.

I'm at about 38.5 eval now, and there is a definite effect on spell casting weapons. A friend and I questioned if eval would effect it.

I will certainly use only a dagger, the combination of infecting and shadow strike really aids my template. I read that I wont be able to get DP without having poisoning skill, but greater poison should do the desired effect well enough.

So... To try for a quick kill this is what I've come up with

Elf

Fencing
Tactics
Hiding
Stealth
Magery
Eval Int
Ninjitsu

Str 95
Dex 100
Int 30

All Leather LRC/MP Regen suit
My 15%HCI bracelet with a lil SDI and DI on it
Not sure for what ring.
A 40% hit lightning dagger laced with greater poison

Sneak up on my target and nail them with deathstrike, infecting them with GP and finish them off with quick strikes possibly inflicting a spell from the weapon. If things go south I can use shadowstrike to go stealth and change to Cu Sidhe or Wolf (Also allows for fast walking). After the initial strike, allow deathstrike and the poison to finish the job.

Supplement with some greater pots and smoke bombs. I'm thinking of using some of those explosive pots to get my target to move, enabling the deathstrike to damage (if the poison didn't already cause it)

I have lower Int because Magery will not be the primary ability, just a support skill. Such as blessing myself pre strike. Reactive armor to raise my low physical I no doubt will have on an LRC armor set.

I am assuming I cannot use other Ninjitsu spells while in animal form, is this a correct assumption?

Thanks for your help Ly-Las

BTW if anyone is on chesse in the next month (post training) beware the creeping death known as Ivan Von Specter! :grin:

No murders for me tho, I be vigilante/PK Killer.

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
Well last night I had to scrap the rezkilling/griefing chiv/necro template I was workin on. Just couldnt keep the karma balanced enough to make it work, so I decided to go 4/6 chiv mage with wrestling. And now that I have all 6 spots filled on my char screen, I can no longer experiment with templates as much, oh well, it was a good idea in theory, but when applied to realtime, karma was a bitch! hehe..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: template, thread