Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Capturing UO action to video?

- - - - - action capturing uo video

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Does anyone know of a good program to capture action in UO, to a video file?

Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny

indisputably more awesome

• Members
  • 5,665 posts
If you find something Ad, we should sticky this.

Well rub butter on my beautiful butt and call me a croissant!

Posted Image

Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Wycorp--Dwarf Hunter

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
Has anyone tried FRAPs? That is what most people used for FPS games and the like...not sure how itd work with UO.

If I get time later tonight, Ill give tia whirl. I was just going to hop on later to screw around anyway if I got the time...

Posted Image

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Aye that works ok, but is limited to 30 seconds of video, unless you pay for it
(something like that)

Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Wycorp--Dwarf Hunter

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
It might be a bit choppy if you wanted more than 30 seconds, but couldnt you just keep pressing the Record button?

Ive never heard of any other names to be honest. That was all anyone used on the other games I played...

Posted Image

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
Would Camtasia work? They have a 30 day fully functional free trial.

http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.asp

Brom

Brom

Introverted Barbarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
I tried Fraps myself but the FPS was horrible, Im assuming I had something set up wrong... :P

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well I was thinking of running a competition/event for "Best UO video"
Be it pvp, pvm or whatever else
But I think it'll be to difficult to do, as people would also need to install a codec to compress the video (Like DivX/Xvid)

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Yeah, but that would be a nice competition. It's amazing what people can do with just taking pics, could only imagine what people would do with videos.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Theros Ironfeld

Theros Ironfeld

Former Catskills Companion and UBB Shardmaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I used FRAPS for my video capturing. The only thing it IS good for is capturing the video. Then you would need to use a different program to compress the file, because FRAPS files are huge.

I would recommend making 'scenes' if you are going to use FRAPS. Just take your scenes, then compress them, then edit them together with music and effects using Windows Movie Maker. That program comes free with Windows.
I am simply... Theros.

~* Former Catskills UBB Shardmaster *~
~* Former RPGTradeSpot Staffer *~
~* Former Blacksmith of Edinburgh *~

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
I tested Camtasia Studio here at work today and it works great. Here's a swf (Flash) file I made while I was training cooking (I know, exciting - it's about all I can get away with playing at work!)

/edit I see you can't attach swf's here, so I rendered it as a wmv instead. The colors were wacked out in the wmv and I don't have time to play with it, but here's a link to it working as a swf -

(the link will take a few minutes before it starts working)

I don't have time to wait and see if youtube uploaded correctly (meeting to go to) but I think Camtasia definitely works for recording UO movies!!!

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
I tried the link but couldnt find the clip

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
ahhh bummer apparently you can't put swf's on youtube. i'll mess around with it more this weekend, cuz it made an awesome movie in flash format!

Ralcor

Ralcor

Ya Rly!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
I use FRAPS in EQ, even though I had the full version from my friend at work. It does make for a large raw file, but if I remember correctly you can compress it in fraps. Also, you can change the framerate in fraps, so depending on how much you go with that the video will be smoother/choppier.

Posted Image

Deployed to the Middle East

Shrea Dragonbayte, Necromancer of Bertoxx

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

uothief.com

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
I'm also very interested in this. I'm been looking for a good program for a long time. Thx.

TheBattleArena

TheBattleArena

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I am also looking for something to capture events at The Battle Arena (inredmusic.com/battle) I wanted to capture the last event so badly that I just put a video camera in front of my monitor.. I know.. I know.. Look, he said he KNOWS!

Phix

Phix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Used both gamecam and fraps for WoW. They must work even better for this game. Paying for either program is a must for unlimited file sizes and higher resolution for better recording.

To truly understand something, change it.

Reepacheap

Reepacheap

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I use ZD SoftScreen Recorder for all my UO movies. I have a freeware version but I don't know if that version is still available out there as it's kinda old. The Program doesn't lag me much and the videos come our fairly well. Here's my last one I did. (can't seem to embed those here)

Kimmy

Kimmy

=^.^=

• Members
  • 1,128 posts
yea theres a free version of ZD SoftScreen Recorder still out plus others

just search it. though i don't know if it works with vista yet as it doesn't say.

Making Sosaria Beautiful one home at a time.

Posted Image

Reepacheap

Reepacheap

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ewww vista
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: action, capturing, uo, video