Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

DEBATE!!!!!!!! Official "Loss of 3D Client" Concerns thread! (Please read first post)

- - - - - concerns debate loss of 3d client official post read thread

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
over on Stratics,a thread has been started in UO U.Hall regarding the 3d client

This thread is for the use of 3d users expressing their concerns over the loss of 3d client.

Any 2d vs 3d disscussions, or any other type of client bashing discussion will result in loss of posting privileges. THIS IS YOUR WARNING!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I havnt read a lot about it, tho i get the concept. I paly 2d but i do understand that peopel DO play 3d.

I persoanlly dont think its a big deal to take out 3d now, BECAUSE thye are doign it so they can troubleshoot the NEW 3d system. So really, its for the greater good of the 3d client. Depending on how long youll have to go withotu 3d, hopefully it wouldnt be that bad. If it slike a month or something, then you get a much better 3d client.

Hopefully thye can find a way to maybe kep it in a little longer on the production servers. Maybe they are makign room in the servers to put the new stuff in. I guess they havnt put out that much info on WHY they are doing it.

"The end justifies the means" lets just hope if this DOES happen that its all worth it with the new KR 3d system.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have we received an explanation as to why they're in such a hurry to get rid of 3d? I thought the plan was to at least wait till the KR client is ready and available to everyone before they shut down 3d. Now, I'm not totally opposed to 2d. One of my characters I normally play on 2d client, as that's where his macros are set. It just seems like a piss poor business decision on the UO team's part.

I would think it`s rather self explanatory. Instead of wasting work and time on a client that will be discontinued anyway - they are piling all resources into getting KR out the door.

My concerns are as follows, if Garaba bans me so be it.

1) When are 3d users going to get the KR beta? I don't care how buggy it is, its got to be better than the alternative.

2) What "I'm sorry compensation" are 3d players going to get, since either we can't play until KR is released, or we will only be able to play in a very limited manner, eg getting GGS gains and maintaining Compassion etc.

3) I don't care why this is being done early, you can't seriously expect us to spend the time converting all our characters/houses over to working in 2d only to have to do it again in KR. The time to convert over 100 containers setup in 3d, each having 50 or more items, for usability alone is debilitating and since doing such work is "NOT GAME PLAY" 3d users that choose to do such conversions are cheated out of playing for however long it takes them.
I myself, where I to do it, would be looking at 3 or more weeks of my normal game time to get things running again. Frankly I am not interested in doing such.

4) If KR is not going to be available for more than 30 days from April 2, can the least functional parts of 2d, be fixed (with on/off toggle switches) so that We have some chance to play in the interim time? EG Larger container gumps if resizable can't work in 2d. 3d style Spellbooks that Stay open, and Sticky Icons?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With that theory you could say the same about 2D - yes, they plan to keep it for a while, but it, too, is going out the door eventually.

On one level, I understand they don't wish to put the effort into a lame duck client, and on the immediate money side it makes sense; however, even though the 3D customer base is a minority, it is still a substantial number of people, and on the customer service side, 10 days notice and nothing but 2D to go to is not the smartest move. Unfortunately, alot of 3D people feel the same way about the 2D client that 2D people feel about the 3D client. There is no right or wrong there, it is about what you are familiar with and what is aesthetically pleasing to you. Just because each group cannot understand the other's reasoning does not make either one wrong. Angering even 1% of your client base when your client base is not the largest out there and dwindling is not the best idea in the world. It could, sadly, have a long-term impact on the bottom line.

Personally, I am not sure if I can play 2D. The one time I attempted to play it (recently) it was jerky and glitched on my system. I began playing UO during the 3D beta (my husband, then boyfriend was a beta tester for it) ... so I don't have the "it's UO" feeling about the 2D client or graphics. 3D is all I have ever known. I was sickened when they made our beautiful 3D grass, dirt and sand into the 2D base. Don't get me wrong, they have done some terrible things to 3D since LBR ... but it is still what I am used to. The "crisp" graphics that people talk about, look to me like clayanimation with harsh outlines.

All in all ... I don't know WHAT I will do when the client is cut off. If they say it will only be a month ... well, I will probably wait it out. If I get into beta, I will tough it out on Origin until my server (Napa) is live. If they say it will be months, and no beta .... I really don't know. If I can get 2D to perform on my system I may give it an honest try - after all, my account is paid until June, unlike the other 2 accounts we hold - but I just don't know ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jeremy_EAMythic UO Community Coordinator

Re-posting my further explanation:

"The reason is pretty simple - in order to make some of the improvements we're planning on, we have to change the way clients talk to the server. When we enable KR on Origin, we have to update the 2d client to the newest system. We're not keeping the 3d client around in even the medium term, so the significant amount of effort it will take to enable this system on 3d wouldn't make sense. It's not ideal that this is happening before everyone can get a hold of KR, but the technical side of things required it. Apologies to those of you who only use the 3d client - I know it's a pretty major inconvenience. "

One bit I didn't clarify above is that if we DIDN'T require this client change when we enabled KR on Origin, the current denizens of Origin wouldn't be able to connect at all. That would make a lot of folk rather cranky, and it would also defeat part of the purpose of putting KR on Origin - we need to see how 2d and KR get along on the same server.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. At this past weekend's Town Hall, they asked who played 3d exclusively and allowed them into the beta. The rest of us would like that same consideration since we are giving up the client we have.
We're not asking to SAVE the 3d client, we were just taken by surprise at the change in information that we would have supposedly have the KR client (open beta) when they DID close 3d.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well said! I have already said I can't wait until both crappy clients are gone and the Dev team can concentrate on only 1 client. I just feel that we should get beta access if they are taking away our client early.

And if you guys think we are complaining just wait until they announce the closing of 2D (if they ever do). UHall will explode with complaints. And you can quote me on that!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Theres a ton of other posts/comments [ really worth the read] but only one dev reply to date .I will keep my eye open and post anymore responses.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
I am admittedly quite selfish in my stance here, but I couldn't even get through reading these responses (much less the original thread). I've played both the 2D and the 3D client (the 3D client for about a year). The 3D client is horrendous. It's like 3D people walking around a 2D world. It should be put out to pasture and shot.

I can't seem to find any sympathy here...

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Only reason I'll miss 3D is 'cause I don't like 2D on the laptop. (not enough room)

Good thing I don't really play on the laptop :)

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Guest_F'Nor_*

Guest_F'Nor_*
  • Guests
I'll not weigh in over at UOSS.
I however reported from last years DC towne hall that the 3D client was going away, PERIOD.

I know why "they" (OSI/EA) are doing it, one client, new engine ect. I understand their reasonings and issues over it.

What I fail to comprehend is the people complaining about it. It was forewarned. It was known to be coming.

What the heck. When we go to IP6 (Internet Protocal 6, we're currently on 4), all those people that don't convert or get ready are NOT going to be given any slack for not being ready. Its the same thing here.

UO's 3D client wasn't a good thing. It's just taken UO all these years to try to fix their mistake and make amends.

We either adapt or we get left behind. Its that simple.

Just like when they went from "LEAD" gasoline to only "UNLEADED" gasoline. Convert, adapt or get left behind.

Crypt Keeper(CK)

Crypt Keeper(CK)

Guildmaster of ATD, Defender of Paxlair!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 615 posts
*gets the cheese ready to hand out*
Posted Image

Maddux

Maddux

I've got Skinnies with RPGS! Twelve 'o'clock!

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
I dont see anyone clinging to their 8bit Sound Cards, so one should just accept progress. Perhaps one day when the Dev's are waiting for the next issue of Computer Programming Magazine, they may write a 3d engine for UO. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

buddy lee

buddy lee

Agent Zero

• Members
  • 2,249 posts
i never liked the 3d for uo

Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny

indisputably more awesome

• Members
  • 5,665 posts

i never liked the 3d for uo

ditto

Well rub butter on my beautiful butt and call me a croissant!

Posted Image

Guest_F'Nor_*

Guest_F'Nor_*
  • Guests
I'm not an advocate of the 3D client, but have kept up with it. And the TechSheet I wrote for UOF contained both 2D & 3D data. It's a preference.

Now if I was to have to convert to one client or the other, I wouldn't !!!!! about it, I'd prepare and adapt if I truly loved this game (and I do) and I have. My last 4 systems and the 2 laptops have all been built, designed, and configured to ensure I can play UO where ever, however I wanted to.

So to follow suit here, lets not turn this into a client bashing thread, but more of a "lets all adapt" and be prepared. What can be contributed to the community as a whole to keep folks playing who actually want to play.

Cheers,

Tukaram

Tukaram

Old & grouchy

• Members
  • 1,025 posts
The main concern is not that they are getting rid of 3D. The problem is the 3D players have to step down to 2D to play for an undisclosed amount of time until KR is released. THAT was not mentioned before last week.

Since they said they want 90% saturation of the KR client before they shut down 2D I personally don't ever see 2D getting shut down. So the Devs will still be stuck with 2 clients.

Tuka :cool:

Posted Image

Kinsmen are born. Friendship is a gift of the gods.

Queen Mum

Queen Mum

A Cookie A Day Keeps The Blues Away!!!

• Members
  • 5,130 posts
The part about not knowing how long the prefered 3D players will have to wait it out is part of my own feeling. Why do I like 3D? It offers a lot more access to items when decorating, like being able to place things where 2D doesn't see in transparency, and it doesn't hide things as much in my messy backpack. But yep I can adapt and trode along in 2D although my mouse just doesn't seem to work as well (that could just be my old fingers too) ...

Question is ... did they give a guesstimate timeframe for how long after they shut off 3D that KR will be implemented?

TY :)

Baldguy

Baldguy

AKA Thom O'Bedlam. Got a Question? I got a link for ya!

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
*gets cynical* Well, keeping with the normal 2-3 (in this case 6!!!!) year adjustment curve, EA has finally decided to officially stop supporting a client they stopped supporting right after it's release. The death knell for UOTD sounded when the next expansion game out and all clients were allowed access to ilshenar.

Useful links

[UO:F Common FAQ] [UO Guide] [Official UO Play Guide] [UO Feedback] [More Links, gathered by the Forum]
[B][SIZE="3"]Got a Question, or a great answer? PM me with it and I will post in the FAQ.

Sheltem

Sheltem

The Gentle Tamer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

ditto

double ditto
Sheltem

Posted Image

Crypt Keeper(CK)

Crypt Keeper(CK)

Guildmaster of ATD, Defender of Paxlair!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 615 posts

double ditto

I'll see your double ditto and raise you a ditto!:grin:
Posted Image

Maddux

Maddux

I've got Skinnies with RPGS! Twelve 'o'clock!

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
Looking at the UO box, Game experience may change during online play & EA reserves the right to terminate The Ultima Online Service after 90 days notice at WWW.UO.com tend to stick out on the back of the box. I would say that 3d Client is a game experience.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bendavho

bendavho

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,558 posts

Looking at the UO box, Game experience may change during online play & EA reserves the right to terminate The Ultima Online Service after 90 days notice at WWW.UO.com tend to stick out on the back of the box. I would say that 3d Client is a game experience.

Posted Image

Sheltem

Sheltem

The Gentle Tamer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

I'll see your double ditto and raise you a ditto!:grin:

:) :grin:
Sheltem

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: concerns, debate, loss of 3d client, official, post, read, thread