Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

RePost from Stratics: Is UO worth coming back to? (Tons of newb questions)

- - - - - back coming newb questions repost stratics tons uo worth

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Lavinia

Lavinia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi everyone-

I played UO for about 5 years or so, quit over 2 years ago, and now I'm maybe playing around with the though of coming back for a spell.

I have a few questions, as obviously, things have changed immensely.

What server would be nice for a casual player that pretty much likes to build her own house, and mind her own business? I moved to a server that wasn't crowded during my time of play just so I could hunt in peace (IE, find a spot that wasn't camped and not intrude on anyone else that happened to be around).

However, I also like to participate in events when time allows, something I almost always missed on my previous server. Now a days my play times would be very different from when I used to play- weekdays during the morning/afternoon PST, mostly.

Anyhow, is there a nice server out there that is recommended to start from scratch on (my account apparantly isn't in exsistence anymore), that isn't too crowded but isn't too much of a ghost town either? I suppose if I could get some suggestions I'll run some pings and see what one gets the best connection.

Is a tamer still a nice fun class to play? Is magery still fun? (I was never a PvPer or RPer so I can steer clear of either of those types of servers.)
Does everyone still make their own personal crafter for themselves? How are prices in recent days? Is it reasonable for a newbie to be able to build their own house in a few months? Do you need to be decked out in all the high end gear to be able to have fun playing/hunting solo? (I hope not) So many questions...

I'll probably use the trial to see whats up, and see what changes have come about in my absence. Maybe I'll stick around, maybe not.

Anyhow, if anyone is interested in helping out a not-so-newb get re-acquainted, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Mic

Mic

Tigurius

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Hi and welcome back! being new myself I tried to answer your questions but got stuck on the first one. May I suggest Europa? it seems perfect for me, some very nice people and quite active on an evening GMT time, though if your out that it will be lovely and quite as everyones at work.

I know the trial only offers 7 days, but I happen to have a spare samurai empire account code if you like, comes with free 45 days play and I think a 6th character slot. Let me know if your intrested and i'll send you the code! Sorry if I couldnt be any more help.

bendavho

bendavho

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
Just so you know UO is getting a makeover sometime this year, its a whole new graphics engine.
Posted Image

Lavinia

Lavinia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hi and welcome back! being new myself I tried to answer your questions but got stuck on the first one. May I suggest Europa? it seems perfect for me, some very nice people and quite active on an evening GMT time, though if your out that it will be lovely and quite as everyones at work.

I know the trial only offers 7 days, but I happen to have a spare samurai empire account code if you like, comes with free 45 days play and I think a 6th character slot. Let me know if your intrested and i'll send you the code! Sorry if I couldnt be any more help.

I spent quite a few years on Europa, but sadly I ended up moving and having to move to LA server, as my connection to Europa went to hell. :( I would appreciate the code, could you send it to me via PM please? I will try to find a client download somewhere, I think I saw one somewhere. Thank you :)

Ah and I did read about the revamp a bit, however, as with all other UO releases and expansions... I'm not holding my breath ;)

Vepl

Vepl

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,288 posts
Welcome to UO Forums and hopefully back to UO :)

As far as servers LA would be a good choice. It has enough players you can find people to do things with yet not so populated that you can't find housing spots or places to hunt by yourself.

If you enjoyed taming (you are a rare person indeed) it is still enjoyable. So is being a mage. They have added a few more skills so you have even more options to chose from. As far as pricing... I will let baldguy give you an idea on that. He is our resident entrepreneur :) . Most people have there own crafter. No real need to. Just seems to be the norm.

If you do chose LA there are several players here who play there. So any questions or help needed just ask away. Good Luck and hope to see you in UO.

Vepl
  • Sheltem likes this

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Another Quality Job by Atlas607

Lavinia

Lavinia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks :) I played LA for a few months just before I quit... I had an 18x18 right next to a another large home 14x14 I think... I can't for the life of me remember where now, somewhere in trammel though. I will certainly miss the ability to use ehtys and the other rewards. :( Maybe I can see if I can find an old account or two kicking around.

Sheltem

Sheltem

The Gentle Tamer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I have just recently come back to UO, it has been just over one month ago now and it seems the same as it ever was, the community is awesome new area's to explore etc.. Best of all Kingdom Reborn is just around the corner. I had been away myself for 3 years and when I came back and went to the stables all my Dragons, WW's and mares were still as I had left them, it was good to be back with my Babies, I have soooo missed them. :grin:
Sheltem

Posted Image

Mic

Mic

Tigurius

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I sent you a PM hopefully you got it :)

Baldguy

Baldguy

AKA Thom O'Bedlam. Got a Question? I got a link for ya!

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
Welcome!!!!
As a recent returnee myself, I can say..... START ON LA. The forum has a strong presence there, lots of people to help, and LOTS of room to place a house (18*18 if you wish).

Between myself, Kitiara, Merth, and all the rest, we can make sure you get an easy start. Let me know quickly, as I have some juicy tamer jewels I can set aside.

I chose the advance character option for starting Thom, since he is a tamer. It really helped out alot. If you chose the same,we could have you kitted out, and hunting with pets in about 2 hours after start, or less. We could also have you in your very own 18*18 in about a day (with an excellent choice of locations).

As to prices. On LA, the market is inverted. Items cost more than houses. There are some idiosyncracies with our LA economy as well, mainly due to Luna price fixing. Arties and Powerscrolls over 115 are still expensive, but 110 powerscrolls are a dime a dozen.

Rhus Raddicans has some excellent advice on starting on any server. He suggests going to swoops ( we will tell you how) and litter picking for items to outfit yourself. Swoops are non-agressive, so there is little danger. I assembled my first luck outfit from there. This also suggests that prices are wonky on EVERY server, as middle to low end items are thrown out as trash, and only high end items are sold on vendors. The same items that we the new players need to get a foothold.

Also, I KNOW we have more unused 9th anniversary and ML newbie account codes available on the forums. One of our players actually gave me mine. ML is a pleasure to play, with a ton of new challenges.

I would suggest using the trial that Tigurius offered, and if you like UO again, then we can possibly arrange an upgrade of that account.

There is also the Origin shard, with our resident expert DiP there. Plenty of room there as well. All in all, I think you will enjoy the guild environment on LA the most.

Useful links

[UO:F Common FAQ] [UO Guide] [Official UO Play Guide] [UO Feedback] [More Links, gathered by the Forum]
[B][SIZE="3"]Got a Question, or a great answer? PM me with it and I will post in the FAQ.

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Although I haven't returned to UO, I would say start on Lake Austin
There's the UO:F guild on that shard with some awesome people in it.
Just be careful of the guild master, I hear he bites :P

Welcome to the forums to

Lavinia

Lavinia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
well thank you all for the offers. I am downloading the ML client now, and I got the code from Tigurius. Hopefully, I can get online sometime tonite to check things out :) I'll post here when that happens. Thanks again! I would be interested in meeting some new people and learning some new things, and hopefully it will be appealing enough to where I will stay on for a while :)

Nevaeh

Nevaeh

Musical Courtesan

• Members
  • 1,164 posts

I would say start on Lake Austin. There's the UO:F guild on that shard with some awesome people in it.

& welcome to the forums! :grin:

Posted Image
free siggy just pm me

Lavinia

Lavinia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
thnaks for all the welcomes :)

Swamps Edge

Swamps Edge

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

I spent quite a few years on Europa, but sadly I ended up moving and having to move to LA server, as my connection to Europa went to hell. :( I would appreciate the code, could you send it to me via PM please? I will try to find a client download somewhere, I think I saw one somewhere. Thank you :)

Ah and I did read about the revamp a bit, however, as with all other UO releases and expansions... I'm not holding my breath ;)

Here is the link to an EA file server. You want the UOML_setup.exe.

http://largedownloads.ea.com/pub/uo/

Lavinia

Lavinia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks! I'll DL is and prob get to it this weekend, leaving for a trip tomorrow AM (yay) so I'll be playing the real games in vegas for a bit ;)

Baldguy

Baldguy

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
Get a chance to start yet?

Useful links

[UO:F Common FAQ] [UO Guide] [Official UO Play Guide] [UO Feedback] [More Links, gathered by the Forum]
[B][SIZE="3"]Got a Question, or a great answer? PM me with it and I will post in the FAQ.

Lavinia

Lavinia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I haven't no, I am not sure if I will either. I've got 2 rellly young kids that take up most of my time :) Thats why I quit in the first place! lol not enough time to justify MMOs anymore.

Baldguy

Baldguy

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
I can definitely understand that. In any case, I know I speak for all of us in saying you are welcome here whether you play or not. The Forum can definitely help relieve you of the constant baby babble if nothing else!

Useful links

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: back, coming, newb, questions, repost, stratics, tons, uo, worth