Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Help the Lag Monster is Killing me

- - - - - killing lag monster

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Mercedes

Mercedes

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,193 posts
I need help or advice pls. The last couple of days my uo has been running extremely slow. I'm lagging like mad, I do unfortunately play on dial up since where I live there is no other service in my area. I live in the country and no one can service us since we are way too far away from any town. Trust me I've looked into everything possible.

I lag for like 30 seconds to a min and my char walks in jerks. Is it my system or is uo working on something causing only dial up clients to notice this? I'm very frustrated and worried what is going on. I've run norton's I've defraged, I've ran scan disk, I've cleaned up cookies temp files etc. Please help if anyone knows if it is my computer or if uo is working on something causing me this grief.

Thank you in advance :)

Mercedes
Posted Image
Signature courtesy of Atlas607

buddy lee

buddy lee

Agent Zero

• Members
  • 2,249 posts
i feel ya, i was on dail-up forever. when DSL became available to me i jumped on it and it is like a whole new game. the only advice and can give is close everything running in the background. turn off music in the game, use smallest screen size, cache only a few houses, turn off circle of transparency, and maybe empty out your bank box. other than that run some scans for spyware . trust me, if i can get DSL where i live, it can't be long till you will be able to get it.

Mic

Mic

Tigurius

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Dial up is not always the only way, you could go wireless via satellite. A bit more expensive but worth it if you live in the middle of nowhere!

Not much help I know but maybe worth investigating.

Mercedes

Mercedes

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,193 posts
Thanks guys but for starters I'm Canadian and where I live I do not qualify for anything. It is all farm land and it is not profitable for them to upgrade the phone lines to service our area. I can not get satellite, I've tried the tree lines are too high. You have to realize where I'm located and trust me like I said prior.......there is no other option. I guess I just can't play uo and if uo is doing some up grades and if this is what I'm in for I'm very upset since this new system will not allow me to function and enjoy the game :(
Posted Image

Kratos Aurion

Kratos Aurion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Dial up is not always the only way, you could go wireless via satellite. A bit more expensive but worth it if you live in the middle of nowhere!

Not much help I know but maybe worth investigating.

satilite is still baseband con. I have it, it sucks, its no better than dial up. I too am experiancing the same problems as the OP has stated. Now I posted another concern on stratics in a post about somene else having lag. I dont believe it is our connections as much as it is uo because there are even people on legends with cable complaining.

1) multiple users with different connections are experiancing related problems
2) the problems seem to being occuring at the same pace ex: 30s-over 1min
3) my client has been experiancing at certain times high mem usage (100k)
4) once I close uo, my cpu usage goes back to normal. The lag spikes on uo have shot as high as 90% cpu usage for durations of time.

I do believe that their is either a certain time where servers may strain more due to more online activity causing the lag than at other times. This may be the cause due to the fact theyre all old (with the exception of origin).

what ever the problem is, it is very annoying:-/

Rhus Radicans

Rhus Radicans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
What shards are you guys playing? Have you tried a few other shards just for testing purposes?

Posted Image

Full Circle

Full Circle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
If dialup is your only choice it's important to make sure your using a hardware external 56k modem. You'll find it’s easy to pick up a PCI 56k modem not realizing is software modem which take up CPU time resulting in more lag when you’re trying to play a game like UO. A good hardware modem can make the difference as it does all work not dumping it on the CPU which is busying with UO but, the weak point is still the quality of your phone line.

If you do have a decent brand external hardware modem maybe the problem lies in the internal wiring of your phone line in the house causing line noise. Try plug the modem in to the main phone socket bypassing the internal phone wiring from room to room etc to see if the problem still happens.

Also certain phones and phone gadgets plugged in can also cause line noise on the internal phone wiring of your house unplug any of those and see if that helps. Or maybe the issue related to line noise on your main phone line. Call up the phone company and have them do a fault check on the line for you.

Another thing to check is make sure you're hard drive is defragged using Diskeeper. They have a trail to download which will do the trick. Also make sure you're system doesn’t have a build up of maleware. Without paying for one of the decent maleware removers out there you'll always have stuff on your system the likes of Spybot and Adware SE can't detect and remove. You need something like Spyware doctor. Feel free to download the trail and see for yourself how much freeware adware removers don't detect.

Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny

indisputably more awesome

• Members
  • 5,665 posts
I know how you feel Mercedes, I was on dial up for a really long time too. I used to do what Buddy did, and I would even go as far as to close Norton down because it was always hogging all my resources.

I've also been having a lot of problems the past few days. My DSL is being a major pain in the arse! and so has UO. I was punted so many times yesterday I felt like I was on Dial up again. :(

Well rub butter on my beautiful butt and call me a croissant!

Posted Image

Keven1

Keven1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Doesnt more memory help too?

Posted Image

Mercedes

Mercedes

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,193 posts
Thank you for everyone for listening and giving advice :) I'm happy for you Snuggle's that you had the opportunity to get off dial up :)
Posted Image

Petra

Petra

Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
If the problem has just started recently, I wouldn't jump on the RAM or new video card wagon JUST yet. A simple machine maintenance may do the trick in the meantime to help out a lil. First delete all ur cookies and internet temp files. I would then possibly do a quick scandisk but DEFINATELY do a system defrag. Do a reboot after that and see how she does. Should be a lil quicker for ya.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: killing, lag, monster