Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Roleplay Land Acquisition Map

- - - - - acquisition land map roleplay

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Decardo Imier

Decardo Imier

Knight of the Balance

• Members
  • 1,328 posts
But Skara is such a nice place :)
Posted Image

Life is the Dance and Honor, the Dance is Death to those we oppose,
Honor is our salvation.
Without Honor the Dance is meaningless
forms and we are nothing.

Bevier de Fendcolline

Bevier de Fendcolline

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
Damn ! Why the Covians dont like us :huh: ?!

I think it's the life near the orc who make them grumpy :grin: !
Master Templar of the Community of Skara Brae [Europa].

Haleorn

Haleorn

Vesparian

• Members
  • 1,538 posts
Always been a theory of ours, alongside their town being a bunch of wooden shacks :P

Hanse Davion [-V-], Haleorn [DDi], Angfan [Clw]

1998 - 2010

Kimmy

Kimmy

=^.^=

• Members
  • 1,128 posts
Yep their jealous.

Making Sosaria Beautiful one home at a time.

Posted Image

Nevaeh

Nevaeh

Musical Courtesan

• Members
  • 1,164 posts

History? For the last 2.5 years we've been warring for Minoc on the same side. I'm just saying that we should not claim towns just like that unless you are actively using it.

The best thing for that area would be if an active Loyalist / evil / something not Rebel faction would start using Minoc. That would make the entire region allot more attractive.

maniacski, that has to be my fav siggy EVER!! (sorry to be off subject)

Posted Image
free siggy just pm me

Paladis

Paladis

Grumpy Old Git

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
At least all posted maps have the same area's designated to the same people its only the size of each territory which is a problem.

This leads to many many possibilities for ingame RP grief which is kinda cool.

Now to ruffle afew feathers ingame *snikkers*.

Born to be Grumpy so get used to it
General Paladis
Army of Kaldor

Klion

Klion

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
Since Hanse has the best looking map, I will respond to his (they are all roughly the same anyway) -

What are these maps based on? Are they spheres of influence, territory or something else altogether? I ask this because unless your clear about what your map is showing, it's impossible to get accurate.

Take for example the Yew region; according to this map B^F have taken a huge chunk of what has always been our territory, yet they have never competed with us for control of it. Not entirley sure how we the Yewish Militia lost a chunk of it's territory to a band of Brigands...

How did Vesper get Minoc? In the last battle of the Campaign the Loyalists still held the City proper, but the Rebels had the Gypsie Camp and Mines. I am not sure how they suddenly got it all...? The City Centre area is Loyalists as far as I'm concerned.

These maps should show the territories of City and Town level powers only, otherwise it could becme a real patchwork of colours.

Vepl

Vepl

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,288 posts
*pokes head in to say hi*

Welcome to UO Forums Klion :)

I do want to thank all for the ideas being tossed around in this thread. If it wasn't such a time zone difference. I wouldn't of minded having a player on Europa

Vepl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Another Quality Job by Atlas607

Lazulli

Lazulli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Clearly, each side has planted a line of BIG RED/BLUE/PINK FLAGS settlers-style along the border in game, so everyone knows exactly what tree and fallen trunk belongs to whatever wannabe faction. Or maybe they didn't.

I don't think the maps are supposed to be an emminently accurate representation of who rules what, just a rough indication of claimed territory. In a historical atlas I own of the Roman and Sub-Roman period, they marked disputed and vague territory "borders" (which was most of them) with a blend of both domains colours. I guess you could do this on the existing maps, but I wouldn't blame the current cartographers if they cba.

Ned Stark

Ned Stark

Governor of Vespenland

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
It probably would be best to start this type of thing on a smaller scale.

As someone else pointed out, we find a non-disputed city and Island would be a good idea. Magicina or Nujlem might work. Someone divides the city into sections, and each Guild involved starts with a section.

I dont know whether many of you have played Dawn of War: Dark Crusade, but that sort of campaign map could work. With everyone fighting over seperate zones, at a time-scale that suits all participants. Battles must be arranged, and once a zone is taken, it belongs to the victors until its taken back! Once you have no areas, your out.

Just throwing ideas into a hat here, but it would be important to test something like this before going on a global scale. The bad thing about this whole idea is, that its a bit to structured to be an RP thing, best just to get the two sides who want a territory scrap to arrange it, and fight over it!

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
[quote name='Klion']

What are these maps based on? Are they spheres of influence, territory or something else altogether? I ask this because unless your clear about what your map is showing, it's impossible to get accurate.[/QUOTE]

The maps are showing which guilds lay claim to which areas,no?.

Despite people feeling 'roleplayed' areas of ownership are not important,I have to agree with those who dispute this ,and state 'owned areas' open up the way for countless in game,'conflicts and skirmishes'.

[QUOTE]How did Vesper get Minoc? In the last battle of the Campaign the Loyalists still held the City proper, but the Rebels had the Gypsie Camp and Mines. I am not sure how they suddenly got it all...? The City Centre area is Loyalists as far as I'm concerned.[/QUOTE]

'. I am not sure how they suddenly got it all...? '

Well thats easy to answer.

We suddenly 'got it all' because Yew ran off with their tails between their legs after the Northern Alliance [ :shocked: and horror ] outnumbered Grd and we slapped our flag firmly in the middle of town

Posted Image

These maps should show the territories of City and Town level powers only, otherwise it could becme a real patchwork of colours.[/QUOTE]

Indeed :)

On a more serious note welcome to UOForums Klion.

Good to have you with us

The Mighty Raul

The Mighty Raul

The Crimson Claw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Take for example the Yew region; according to this map B^F have taken a huge chunk of what has always been our territory, yet they have never competed with us for control of it. Not entirley sure how we the Yewish Militia lost a chunk of it's territory to a band of Brigands...

Tell me about it, but they do that with many things, not just land aquisition sadly.

I reckon its about time you carved up the world according to RP guild power/memberships and activity. Be this by PvP prowess or diplomacy, its long overdue. I mean as it stands you have dead and dying guilds holding all the power over major towns and huge tracks of land across Sosaria. I dont have to name the guilds, you all know them. Wouldnt it be fun if battles and conquests actually meant something? Wouldnt it be fun too have active guilds running towns or controlling lands? Wouldnt it be fun if GM's had to insure their allies are kept sweet or the enemies in check? UO needs a overhaul when it comes to lands aquisition guys, time to get your heads together.

Klion

Klion

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

The maps are showing which guilds lay claim to which areas,no?.

I don't know, thats why I asked. A sphere of influence is very different to ownership afterall.

We suddenly 'got it all' because Yew ran off with their tails between their legs after the Northern Alliance [ :shocked: and horror ] outnumbered Grd and we slapped our flag firmly in the middle of town

Nonsense. If you will recall, by the end of the Campaign we had reached impasse - the Rebels held the Mines and Camp and we held the City. In the last few battles territory didn't change hands at all. We never left the region really and continue to spend more time there than Vesper. I say the City is loyalist but the outskirts are Vesperian.

On a more serious note welcome to UOForums Klion.

Good to have you with us

F4G don't let me post on their forums much, I had no where else to go.

The Mighty Raul

The Mighty Raul

The Crimson Claw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
Well you did say some rather offensive things Klion, but welcome all the same.

It is nicer here, not so many ego's and power mad mods around here. I can even mention another MMO's here without getting threats of bans and warnings!!

Kaelith

Kaelith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
maybe guilds should just be more pro-active, start stamping their feet around abit and claiming areas. if it pisses people off then just kill them again until they decide to do something about it IG and IC.

if you are in an active guild, start using your man power and spreading yourself about.

i like what raul said about small guilds claiming too much land.

tbh i don't think what i said would actually work, but it would be damned amazing if it did!

then guilds should be able to find a genuine space in the world and not scrape around making stuff up. shame there is recalling and gating in UO too... ahwell.

oh another thing. if guilds start pushing their presence around i think people would be less inclined to create all these new guild "powers" and they'd be far more likely to join a pre-existing faction: yew, vesper, trinsic etc.. from there politics can be worked out as faction leaders and councils decide.

Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Agreed. There is much potential wasted in the North, for example. I've heard some rumours that there is indeed a big clash of arms to be had in the future. I just hope it will prove to be true! AND I sincerely hope the GMs will have the dignity to have some CONSEQUENCES for the fights. It doesn't have to be earth-shattering, but at least there should be some kind of effect in game.

I can see the easiest way to do this to split the middle ground between the guilds' established regions into sections. The fights would be arranged in the border sections (and in some rare cases, beyond them, but preferrably only by scouting units) and the winner would claim more ground according to success or failure.

Kimmy

Kimmy

=^.^=

• Members
  • 1,128 posts

Nonsense. If you will recall, by the end of the Campaign we had reached impasse - the Rebels held the Mines and Camp and we held the City. In the last few battles territory didn't change hands at all. We never left the region really and continue to spend more time there than Vesper. I say the City is loyalist but the outskirts are Vesperian.

BS

Posted Image

Klion

Klion

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

BS

Not at all. By this point in the campaign Cove's numbers were flagging with the absence of their leaders and Kaldor had lost a few key players to exams or something, the tide was definetley starting to turn. My memory on such things is pretty sound and when Bladius logs in I may have the reports to prove it ;)

I also think if you check with Hanse, he will inform you that Grd has been in Minoc about a half dozen times since the middle of March 'en force. I seriously doubt any of the Rebels have been then in masse - for the same reasons that Grd rarley visits the Court of Truth.

Kimmy

Kimmy

=^.^=

• Members
  • 1,128 posts
I do all the time ain't seen hide nor hair of you. and our militia has been doing regular patrols. there is also a new mayor of West Vesper and the people rejoice. so no....

Posted Image

Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Kimmy and Klion. This pretty much summarizes what's the major problem to be overcome about the "takeover game" systems proposed. Guild 1 goes to town X and finds it devoid of any enemies. Thus they declare it "their territory". Guild 2 then comes in another day and finds it also empty of enemies, and naturally declare it "their territory".

IMHO, it cannot be so hard for the GMs to actually arrange battles for the territory on a given day, at a given time. Also, there should be consequences agreed beforehand. I.e. the GMs should be aware of what will happen if they will win/lose the battle. The consequences should be the loss/gain of a small portion of the region under conflict, not winning/losing the whole region per se. Also, you should not be able to attack regions deep in the enemy territory, before you have taken some foothold in the border region (i.e. won battles).

Unrealistic? Yes, but it is also unrealistic that we have like 5-10 people participating in battles per side. What is also unrealistic is that we never actually die. BUT I see that the only way to do this thing in an interesting way (a way that has consequences) is to AGREE on terms of the battle beforehand. True, it will need more work from the GM/AGMs, but that's life. Ask for help if you can't get it done?

Then the big question. Who will be determined the winner or loser of the battle? Especially in attacks to home regions I think the alt rule sucks big time. Practically the defending guild can keep new defenders popping in the battle almost indefinitely, which not only looks stupid but is extremely frustrating to the attacking guild (according to my proposition, they would have had to beat the defender back on other middle-ground regions several times before mounting an assault on the defender's home). Also, what the hell has happened to the fleeing rule? Nobody EVER flees from battle anymore! They run half the damn world and come back an instant they get a chance to. This makes the battles more of a running contest than anything else. True, it's probably the way the "real" PvP in UO is, but isn't the RPPvP supposed to be different from that? Do we have to try and prolong the battle by running around the site of battle for 45 minutes or more? Why, oh why?

My suggestion of determining the winners of a battle is again similiar to the region controlling: pre-battle agreement. In most cases the defenders are guarding something and the attackers are trying to claim it. Why not define the "something" into a smaller area. If the attackers manage to scatter the defence and regroup into the contested, pre-agreed area, they have won. Just as simple as that, is it not? The still alive defenders would surrender or flee, NOT hit&run until they are dead to the last man.

Now for the "rematches". Sure it's cool to do the battle again, especially if the first one is short, but what the f...? We can't just say that the first fight ended and the next fight will start at the SAME place?! The loser of the first battle will have to yield ground and regroup to a place closer to their home region, right? In some cases, they could be even cornered and forced to back off in a different direction, but it's all the same. There needs to be a discerning factor between the two fights, otherwise it looks like battlegrounds in WoW. And no, that certainly wasn't a compliment!

Now go ahead and flame me, oh almighty GMs of a hundred-head guild. Flame my ass off the planet, but while you do, tell me WHY it cannot be done? Give me arguments to my suggestions about which doesn't work and WHY it doesn't work. Because I'm obviously too dumb to see it. Otherwise it would be already done like this, wouldn't it?

Wouldn't it?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: acquisition, land, map, roleplay