Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Do you like the new UO.com site?

- - - - - site uocom

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA

That DAOC site reminds me of stratics for some reason, and uo.com does not look far off from it actually.

Minus the background they have the same basic layout.

If they're using any kind of content management system, the 3-column layout is standard. It takes a bit of hacking at most CMS templates to come up with anything other than a 3-column layout (as that's usually the default), and it appears that they don't want to spend time recreating the wheel.

It's hard to do this kind of web site any other way and still have it usable and navigable.

I don't fault uo.com for the layout, but their sense of spacing is bizarre. At 1600x1024 (my current resolution), the scroller banner at the top takes up at least 1/3 of the top of the page. I can only imagine how huge it looks on lower rez settings. It takes up almost the entire length of the left-hand navigation, and that just looks weird.

Things are out of proportion. That's what bugs me about it. I generally like the overall look and graphics.

I wish they'd stick to either warm or cool in the color choices though. The outside content is all black/silver while the inside is all reds/browns/beiges. The contrast is distracting.

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Seems to be designed (width wise) for 1024X768, the banner fits the whole page at that res, although it takes up neary half the page alone at that resolution

At 800X600, you have to scroll right to see the rest of the banner, heh

Ally

Ally

The Couch Hottie

• Members
  • 3,310 posts
My laptop is on 1280x768. I've got a lot of empty black space on the right.

I think it looks good. I wonder if they're gonna be updating the rest of the pages to have the same colours.

Meiko

Meiko

The Green Dragon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Some of the text is hard to read. Red on black is fine if the text is of a reasonable size but then they switch it and it taxes the eyes after a while.

Vepl

Vepl

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,288 posts
It's good to hear from you you Meiko :)

Vepl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Another Quality Job by Atlas607

atlas607

atlas607

loves uoforums!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
I think the look is more appropriate for the game and gaming community. The old site needed to be updated so badly content wise, I almost wished that was fixed first, despite my love for pretty graphics.

I notice also it is mostly the same old site and the template has not been applied to all the links so obviously it will need a major overhaul in the next few weeks to meet expectations.

Honestly, I am just glad to see uo pushing towards the future, instead of disappearing into the fog.

Vindicator

Vindicator

The Death Dealer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
It's decent, but they need to fix some stuff. Mainly for me is the UO guilds stuff, I like to "scope" out opposing forces and it's hard when that part of the site feature is broken.
Posted Image
Thanks to Atlas for hooking up this SICK signature!

Haleorn

Haleorn

Vesparian

• Members
  • 1,538 posts
Aye, irritating having the UO Guild pages down. Can still open up your guild pages and whatnot, but gotta know member names and stuff.

Hanse Davion [-V-], Haleorn [DDi], Angfan [Clw]

1998 - 2010

Haleorn

Haleorn

Vesparian

• Members
  • 1,538 posts
I quite like it, even if it is a little too dark for its own good. The current UO site is just old, tatty and broken in my opinion.

Hanse Davion [-V-], Haleorn [DDi], Angfan [Clw]

1998 - 2010

Static19

Static19

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
seems broken, i'm trying to find guilds on the atlantic server and it isn't display them.

Sheltem

Sheltem

The Gentle Tamer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

seems broken, i'm trying to find guilds on the atlantic server and it isn't display them.

Yeah, I think it is all going through the update stage
Sheltem

Posted Image

UOMart

UOMart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
When a developer developes for a site they make sure IE is supported first , because most people use IE , and furthermore IE is better all around. You don't have to load 50 applets to get Javascript and AJAX to load and you don't have to have special tools to get into FTP faster. Alsoimages load at a rate insanely fast compared to firefox , Firefox makes all servers seem like there running a 355 MHZ processor due to the image load rates , reguardless of your computer your using firefox with.

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
It's alright, but it needs something to make it zing. Right now, it looks like a hundred other nice-but-amateur websites.

~M

Lycanthropy

Lycanthropy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

When a developer developes for a site they make sure IE is supported first , because most people use IE , and furthermore IE is better all around. You don't have to load 50 applets to get Javascript and AJAX to load and you don't have to have special tools to get into FTP faster. Alsoimages load at a rate insanely fast compared to firefox , Firefox makes all servers seem like there running a 355 MHZ processor due to the image load rates , reguardless of your computer your using firefox with.

wow...old thread revival ;P

but..IE gives you virii ;/

haha IE-Tab for the win

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: site, uocom