Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Why I started posting here again? The world is a small place

- - - - - place posting small started world

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Baldguy

Baldguy

AKA Thom O'Bedlam. Got a Question? I got a link for ya!

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
I am an instructor in the navy. During my last class (which lasts three weeks), I was talking to some of my students (all senior enlisted) about free time. One mentioned that he played UO. OUt of curiosity, I asked him what shard. To my surprise, he replied "Baja of course".
Since that is my old home, I HAD to ask him if he had ever heard of Paul Mart ( for those who do not know, Paul mart was a discount clearing house for high end items, and a HUGE library).
He said "YOU are Paul B? Dude, we really need another store like yours around!!!"
Never did I think that anything I did in the game would have an effect that lasted that long. Before I sold that account, I had taken residence here on the forums, and had dumped most of my nuggets of info in one forum or another. Unfortunately some of that has disappeared.

So I will make this offer. If anyone needs any tips of starting a REALLY successful merchant, my tips should still be applicable. I will gladly share them with anyone in the forum.

To give you a "why should I ask you", here are some basic facts.
Paul-mart at the end was getting 3k visits a month.
I averaged 1 million g.p a day in profit from my vendors, selling mid to top end items. (no artifacts ever sold, I kept the few I was able to earn). There used to be some pics here, but I think those are gone as well.

Paul Mart was home to one of the largest in game rune libraries and player made guides on Baja. I had 100 guides and stories by players, and 75 full rune books, including all treasure maps.
Gosh, nostaglia strikes deep. I LOVED that aspect of the game, and if not for time and college and work conflicts, I would take it up again in a heart beat (sniffle)
Anyway, if anyone needs any tips, post it here. I will try to keep visiting and re-make my recipe for the store.

Useful links

[UO:F Common FAQ] [UO Guide] [Official UO Play Guide] [UO Feedback] [More Links, gathered by the Forum]
[B][SIZE="3"]Got a Question, or a great answer? PM me with it and I will post in the FAQ.

Tukaram

Tukaram

Old & grouchy

• Members
  • 1,025 posts
Dude welcome back! I saw a post yesterday with you in it. Quite a surprise. There's not enough squids around here. :)

Tuka :cool:

Posted Image

Kinsmen are born. Friendship is a gift of the gods.

Vindicator

Vindicator

The Death Dealer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
WB man!
Posted Image
Thanks to Atlas for hooking up this SICK signature!

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
I am all about the shop tips! I absolutely love being a merchant, but of more craft related things than rares. I'm not into cross shard trading gifts and selling rewards and stuff.. more like, things I can make or assemble (crafted goods, runebooks, etc).

What kind of shop did you run? I'd love any advice you've got!

Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny

indisputably more awesome

• Members
  • 5,665 posts
Welcome back! We need more people from Baja here!

Well rub butter on my beautiful butt and call me a croissant!

Posted Image

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
What a lovely story ,and how strange is real life when you find other players in your class of students ,*smiles*

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lady Destiny LS

Lady Destiny LS

Born again Newb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
Never
Again
Volunteer
Yourself

It is very funny when game and real life meet.
USN 1997-1998 ELS medical discharge

Tukaram

Tukaram

Old & grouchy

• Members
  • 1,025 posts
Don't forget the best abbreviation:

Lazy
Ignorant
F***
Expecting
Retirement

Our EMC had a patch made with that instead of his name. He put it on his coveralls...did you know the Navy has no sense of humor?? :laugh:

USN 1987-1993

Posted Image

Darius

Darius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
That's cool, i've never met anyone like that in RL that plays UO. That would be wild.

Your tips sound like the rune library right outside Cove on Lake Superior. A give to receive mentatlity. Must work well. =)

Baldguy

Baldguy

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
Well, more interest than I thought. Good to see you still hanging out Tuk!!!
I retire from Active duty this year (December 07 baaaaby). Life will be OVER.

As to the shop tips, should I post them here, or do a new thread? Or can one of you mod type people separate the cahff out for me?

Lady Destiny, good to hear a fellow squid squeak!. Sorry about the disability, hopefully you are taken care of.

Love the acronym's you 2! When I retire, it's BOHICA time!

Useful links

[UO:F Common FAQ] [UO Guide] [Official UO Play Guide] [UO Feedback] [More Links, gathered by the Forum]
[B][SIZE="3"]Got a Question, or a great answer? PM me with it and I will post in the FAQ.

Queen Mum

Queen Mum

A Cookie A Day Keeps The Blues Away!!!

• Members
  • 5,130 posts
The world is a small place ... with one big sidewalk :cheesy:

Go ahead and start a new Merchant Tip thread in this forum if you would like to keep the ideas separated from this thread ... might be easier for folks and with a new title it would help with pariticpation ...

Let us know if you need something .. and glad to see you back on board :laugh:

*you can name it something other than Merchant Tips .. that was just my thought ....

Baldguy

Baldguy

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

I am all about the shop tips! I absolutely love being a merchant, but of more craft related things than rares. I'm not into cross shard trading gifts and selling rewards and stuff.. more like, things I can make or assemble (crafted goods, runebooks, etc).

What kind of shop did you run? I'd love any advice you've got!

oh, and P.S., I went from owning an 8*8 (after my second return to the game) to a KEEP in 10 months. Then I quit lol. Dumbie me.

I had the whole SHEEBANG. My Crafter was Mark The Creator. He was 7X GM. He had 6 vendors to himself. I had 22 vendors total, but that was mainly due to my sorting policy. Some of the rules I used are below, in no particualr order of importance.

Useful links

Tukaram

Tukaram

Old & grouchy

• Members
  • 1,025 posts
I was a Civilian Under Naval Training...but I can't tell you the acronym

Posted Image

Baldguy

Baldguy

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
lololololol. you gonna get banned boy! hehehehe

Useful links

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: place, posting, small, started, world