Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Ebay to ban the sale of Virtual items for games

- - - - - ban ebay games items sale virtual

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

Rascal

Rascal

Madam of Mayhem

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
Our local news broadcasted that E-bay was being used to fence stolen items "E-Fencing" lol... funny to find this ban on Virtual items the very same day :laugh:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Wycorp--Dwarf Hunter

• Members
  • 2,120 posts

does the potato have mana leech?

Rofl!

About 2 years ago, Ebay made our local news because a Surgical Tech at a hospital I was working at the time had stolen some medical equipment and was selling it on Ebay. Nothing cheap either...iirc, it was a scope worth about 30k USD and he was selling it for 10k.

The buyer was al kinds of mad and was trying to say that he should still get it because he won the auction and it wasnt his fault or problem that it was stolen. I believed they threatened to charge him with recieving stolen goods...he clammed up after that. :)

Posted Image

Som

Som

Nomad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
OMG! I want a mana leach potato!!!! where do I get one?

the ones I have just make me burp after eating them :(

*Insert fabulous signature here*http://www.uoforums.com/image.php?u=2091&type=siguploader&dateline=1114833635

Mercenary

Mercenary

i refuse to flex!!

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
Hey, how do i contact an ebay rep for myself? People on stratics are refuting the legitimacy of this information, but I've shown others that picture of adam talking to a rep and they still dont believe. So if anyone could guide me as to how to get into a live chat, that'd be great.

Som

Som

Nomad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
items are still for sell on E-bay so I wonder when this will come about?
(i just looked)

*Insert fabulous signature here*http://www.uoforums.com/image.php?u=2091&type=siguploader&dateline=1114833635

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests

Rofl!

About 2 years ago, Ebay made our local news because a Surgical Tech at a hospital I was working at the time had stolen some medical equipment and was selling it on Ebay. Nothing cheap either...iirc, it was a scope worth about 30k USD and he was selling it for 10k.

The buyer was al kinds of mad and was trying to say that he should still get it because he won the auction and it wasnt his fault or problem that it was stolen. I believed they threatened to charge him with recieving stolen goods...he clammed up after that. :)

you know whats funny. We have a guy on base here, worked in the Dental Squadron, that just was put in jail for selling military equipment on ebay. He got caught when an ex military dentist was starting up his own practice, and bought an item. Well when he got it, it had the markings from this base, and he called around and asked how this happened. Investigations were done, and this guy got busted. Funny part was, he was over his 20 years, and could have retired, and is now an E1(lowest rank possible) in jail, and no retirement for him......

Dentrix

Dentrix

Gimp of Pain

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Some games like "Runescape" banned selling items on ebay a long time ago due to fraud anyone caught selling "Runescape" items either there Ip was banned from "Runescape" or the account was.

But to UO I hope this doesnt go on for long. I got my account of ebay and alot of gold I hope ebay lets people still sell stuff on Ebay for games. ;(

-Dentrix [A Freaking Noob , haha]

*Edit* A little off topic heheh

Posted Image
I'm back. :D

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hey, how do i contact an ebay rep for myself? People on stratics are refuting the legitimacy of this information, but I've shown others that picture of adam talking to a rep and they still dont believe. So if anyone could guide me as to how to get into a live chat, that'd be great.

I saw that to
I saw Orvago said Ebay denied it, yet several of us, had the same replies via online chat.

Mercenary

Mercenary

i refuse to flex!!

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
yea, i guess if some people wish to refute it, they can if they want to. I hope they just come out and say where they stand sometime soon.

Unsupportable

Unsupportable

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
The wasy I see it, Ebay is banning it because people were buying gold off ebay, then the seller was saying that I've met you in game and given it you. Even if they haven't. With UO, there is no real trail of such things. And secondly UO stance on being scammed is its your own fault.

Ebay were getting a lot of complaints about this.

I use brokers when I'm completely skint. I've found some that have messed me around, to put it politely. And will no longer use them. UOTreasures messed me around for 3 hours. And I know they sponsor this site, but I won't be using them again. I got my favourite broker to transfer 300 mill onto my shard for me to buy off him over time. No doubt others will as well.

I actually hope this increases the price of gold as well. So that the price of items goes down. We pretty much run a monopoly on Sonoma over the scrolls and are soon to introduce a standard price list. Other people with scrolls can sell them for cheaper, but that ruins it for us :grin:

I've seen scrolls stupidly cheap and expensive - magery 45 mill, eval 10 mill

We want a more stable economy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Maddux

Maddux

I've got Skinnies with RPGS! Twelve 'o'clock!

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
Ebay's banning of selling virtual game items will only affect small individual sellers. Your large and established virtual game item sellers will open their own web sites catering to the sale of game items.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
There are always ways to embezzle online goods.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Maddux

Maddux

I've got Skinnies with RPGS! Twelve 'o'clock!

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
So long as items are "not" account specific or "Soul Bond" to a character, there will always be a market and a demand for virtual items.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

And will no longer use them. UOTreasures messed me around for 3 hours. And I know they sponsor this site, but I won't be using them again..

No brokers sponsor this site
The only sponsors we accept now are individuals or companies who aren't involved in UO
That way, we don't have to worry about whether we're sponsored by dupers, exploiters, scammers or whatever.

Unsupportable

Unsupportable

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
My appolgies. I assumed that you were because there used to be UOTreasures Banners. NVM.

UOResources is the best broker I've ever used. Not sure about the integrity of his stuff, but he never got his accounts banned. So it must be fairly legit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny

indisputably more awesome

• Members
  • 5,665 posts
uo.cybernickel!

Well rub butter on my beautiful butt and call me a croissant!

Posted Image

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No one can be sure of how legit a broker is
Alot of the ones I considered legit, all got busted during that gametime code mess (dealing in stolen gametimes), then there was the controversial issue of soulstone codes at Tradespot, now all the dupers and traders of duped items getting banned
Trust no one...........heheh

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The number of auctions is going down though

Yesterday it was 3000, then it dropped to 2782, it's now 2158

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
Good news.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

Adri

Adri

Wearing metal panties in a lightning storm

• Members
  • 6,179 posts
Why would the virtual accounts/goods be going down on ebay, and them telling several people that this is in fact true, then they turn around and tell a stratics mod that it is NOT true yet he cannot post the log to verify this?

I've also seen articles where they are debating if people should have to pay tax on online gold since it has a RL currency value. I'm not sure how they would calculate that one. Would we get more dependants if we have several pets in the stable?

And, say you are in fel, and someone comes along, kills you, and for some reason your uber-weapon stays on your body instead of being insured. The PK loots the uber-weapon, then sells it on a site thru a broker. Would he be guilty of selling stolen goods? Well, if we are to be taxed for said goods, why not?

I dunno, it just sounds like people are starting to take it all too seriously. It's a GAME folks. Sheesh. I don't buy items off ebay or thru brokers. I am not paying $100 for a crimson cinture. It's much more satisfying to earn it yourself anyway. But, if someone has the cash, and wants the goods, should it be illegal to make a legit trade?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ban, ebay, games, items, sale, virtual