Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Ebay to ban the sale of Virtual items for games

- - - - - ban ebay games items sale virtual

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Saw a thread on stratics in which someone said Markeedragon had posted that they were banning the sale of Virtual items in games and removing existing auctions

So I decided to chat with a live rep at Ebay

Posted Image

Cerwin Vega

Cerwin Vega

Legendary Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
man thats gonna make a few people mad, but then i guess their are still website you can buy from.

moxie_denzien

moxie_denzien

resident red robot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
wow!

that's a big one folks.

especially for the people that rely on that way of making money.

wonder what effect this will have on the economy?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Vindicator

Vindicator

The Death Dealer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
Sounds to me like you guys need to buy stuff while you can!
Posted Image
Thanks to Atlas for hooking up this SICK signature!

Masamune

Masamune

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
Oh no! I've sold a few accounts on ebay.

If I decide to quit I want some cash!! :( :(
:5brokenheart: I break hearts

Petra

Petra

Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
This does stink!

I sold a few accounts on Ebay when I quit for awhile. There are still possibilities of selling the accounts to Online game brokers, who then later sell the account for more money to someone else...but I would assume you would not get as much money as you would have on Ebay... :-/

Posted Image
Posted Image

moxie_denzien

moxie_denzien

resident red robot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
you can always sell on tradespot though...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nevaeh

Nevaeh

Musical Courtesan

• Members
  • 1,164 posts
some people are going to be rather upset about this. i dont really mind people selling accounts, but when u go to ebay and people are selling minor things like ingots....... it kinda puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Posted Image
free siggy just pm me

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
I think this will help the ingame economy big time. People wont be out buying mass amounts of gold, to buy the items ingame for inflated prices anymore. I feel sorry though for the people wanting to sell their accounts for money that is equal to their time invested. It's a good step in the right direction towards fixing the economy though!

atlas607

atlas607

loves uoforums!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
wow, guess we didn't even have to wait for uo to ban the sale of it's own items.

Petra

Petra

Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

I think this will help the ingame economy big time. People wont be out buying mass amounts of gold, to buy the items ingame for inflated prices anymore. I feel sorry though for the people wanting to sell their accounts for money that is equal to their time invested. It's a good step in the right direction towards fixing the economy though!

This is a huge step towards fixing the game's economy, which has always been an issue since the first bulk resource auction appeared on Ebay. Sure, I'll pay $10 for 80k of each reg...but what is the point? What is the point in playing UO to begin with if a person is THAT lazy?

However...I am a little upset over this including player accounts and/or houses.

On the flip-side, I can see Ebay's view on this. Maybe there were a lot of dishonest auctions going on and people got screwed out of 100's of dollars over pixel crack.

Posted Image
Posted Image

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
Anyone have info on the reasoning behind this (from ebay's perspective.... I hardly think it's ebay's responsibility to police the in-game economy of online RPG's, and if the game developers themselves don't care to regulate the sale of virtual goods, I highly doubt that's ebay's motivation for this)?

Deraj

Deraj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
Interesting, but pointless for UO.

Pointless, because EA does nothing about it, and so all the trading will just be done through non-Ebay sites, like Tradespot, etc.
Still we loom in the mists as the ages roll away,
And we say of our folk, "they are here!"
That they built us and they died and you'll not be knowing why,
Save we stand on the bare plains of Wiltshire.

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
BTW if anyone wants to read MD's post...

http://www.markeedra...d&Number=331951

No confirmation in writing from ebay yet. This does not appear to be influenced by the game developers (like the ban on EQ item sales was), but an internal move on ebay's part.

Mercenary

Mercenary

i refuse to flex!!

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
Independent websites will pop up, but this is great! The IRS needs to tax the hell outta these people who are making income without penalty, it's not fair to the rest of us honest hard working people. You should not be allowed to have income without taxes. Anyway, that aside, there's always a way around this type of stuff.

Just like ticket scalping. I'll sell you this potato for 200 bucks and then give you these free tickets to the game! :P

Anyway, I wonder why they're doing this finally... for a company to ban the sale of goods that are well known to bring in a lot of money, it surprises me they'd cut their own profits.

edit: ah, nevermind I found the answer on stratics in this thread. The OP basically explains why ebay did this.

http://boards.strati...=5&o=31&fpart=1

Tukaram

Tukaram

Old & grouchy

• Members
  • 1,025 posts
It seems to me that if money can be made then people will just sell stuff elsewhere. E-Bay or not, capitalism will prevail. So in the long run I'm afraid it won't do that much for our in-game economy.

Tuka :cool:

Posted Image

Kinsmen are born. Friendship is a gift of the gods.

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
It's probably not right to assume that none of the ebay sellers are claiming income for tax reporting purposes, though I'd assume a good number aren't. Just because someone sells on ebay doesn't mean they are operating an illegitimate business. (I'm not an ebay seller - I'm just sort of against making broad generalizations that assume people to be bad over good!)

Mercenary

Mercenary

i refuse to flex!!

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
It wasn't meant to be a generalization, because I do sell stuff on ebay as well from time to time, and report it on my taxes, but I know some people who sell virtual goods do not. It was simply a comment acknowledging the fact that some people do not report these types of transactions and that they should, that's all :P

Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Wycorp--Dwarf Hunter

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
Well, if a person goes on Ebay selling a potato with a free Hat of the Magi all Ebay has to be concerned about is the buyer getting the potato...hence, they are relieved of the obligation.

Posted Image

moxie_denzien

moxie_denzien

resident red robot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
does the potato have mana leech?
  • kitiara likes this
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ban, ebay, games, items, sale, virtual