Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

[ NB.discussess a sensitive issue ] The "r" word... An old issue that needs to go.

- - - - - issue nbdiscussess sensitive word

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
taken from Thread :- The "r" word... An old issue that needs to go. found in UO.UHall

So I've read a couple posts within the past month or so that commented on people losing accounts or getting banned over using the word rape.

Devs, players, you are both welcome to comment on this.

First off, there is no way in any way, shape, or form, that a player would know this word was bannable unless they have visited stratics. Hey, here's a news flash, not many of the UO players actually do!

Secondly, why is this policy so hush hush? Was there a case about it? If so, should we care?

If someone says "I'm going to rape you" in game, that's a perfectly understandable ban. We have journals for a reason.

This policy is absolute nonsense. It has become a method in pvp or other areas for people to abuse just to get other players whisked away. In a way, it has become harrassment in its own to have this policy. My advice to jeremy, sanya, or anyone over at the "new" crew... Revamp this policy so that people don't have to worry so much about it anymore!

We can add rape to the chat filter if it isn't in there already. We can even make it so that if someone says they will rape someone else, THAT could be bannable! Don't make it so if someone says "boy, those guys raped me" that they can get banned by some ignorant-ass individual who gets off on doing nothing more than "raping" other people's characters and accounts to maybe make the spawn a little more easier!

I was fortunate enough to not have been banned for this, but the reason why was unfortunate. A buddy of mine made the mistake in haven of saying that "Archers rape me now", discussing a template change at the time (hell this was two years back). Someone he pked in fel the other day decided "Hmmm, this word suddenly offends me". A minute after the ban the player is running around bragging about how he won't ever have to worry about my buddy again. Nice going, real skill there.

(pun) It's a shame he didn't get stuck 6th in queue (/pun).

############################

Easy solution: Take up WoW's profanity stance.

Profanity filter is on by default. Turning it off means you are consenting to hear "Adult language".
If you page a GM over "Adult Language" they will just /lol at you and send a canned msg saying how to turn on the filter and how to ignore players.

Simple as that. Saves GM's from wasting their time on stupid things. You don't need GM's babysitting the player base and making sure no one uses naughty language like in Pre-School.

Agree with you there.

There are some pretty ripe words being thrown around the game and mostly I see people page on others as a grief response rather than an objection. Why cater to that kind of behavior?

And what is this WoW game people keep talking about? Sounds wonderful!

People shouldn't use that word in general conversation.
It's really not necessary to get the point across and it's not a word used in normal conversation irl either.
Accept that it isn't going to be allowed in UO and let's move on.
The horse has died.

Jeremy_EAMythic UO Community Coordinator

It's not hush hush at all

I don't think a reasonable person would object to barring the use of the "r" word, but the GM's open themselves up to a whole mess of inconsistent disciplinary action. I have no problem with disregarding the context of choice words, but I see a systemic issue with verbal harassment and abuse. Maybe I'm being guilty of "all or nothing" thinking, but wouldn't it be more consistent and effective to adopt a filter policy or to get gestapo, automatic sanctions?

I said "grape!", I was asking if anybody had "grapes!" Lord help me!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Wycorp--Dwarf Hunter

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
Ive always thought that if a word can get you banned, it shouldnt even be say-able...

Posted Image

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
A while back we had a guy in our guild get banned for saying "we got a$$ raped at despise" or something along those lines. Well, he was a stealth archer, and he had a huge fued with another stealth archer, they did not like eachother at all. This guy was sitting at the gate stealthed, and saw him say this. page....poof.....ban......

The GM didnt explain to him why he was banned, just to call EA and take it up with them. Well he got it lifted and was only a 3 day ban. I say they are too strict on their language rules. We are not all in 3rd grade here. And if there are 3rd graders on this game. I ask this. How in the heck are you able to operate a complex comat game like this anyways???? At 8 years old, I didnt even think of playing video games let alone a computer.

We are not all children here, put in a better filtering system and let us be.

Unsupportable

Unsupportable

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
Personally I believe it depends on the nature of how such words are used. But the easy answer would be to ban such words reguardless. I think a simple email to everyone would surfice, or a little note in everyone's backpacks. Why do people find it nessersary to use offensive language, even if not intended to be offensive. The English language has 20 other words for every word in the dictionary. So why not use one of those. There is just no need for it. If it was completely banned, then there would be no misunderstandings and no excuses.

The solution I propose is simple to impose, non-discriminative and ultimately fair. Unless you are completely illiterate, in which case you clearly didn't read the T&C's whilst installing the game and creating your account. So YES, ban all use of "Taboo" words. That way there is no argument. If you want to swear, join a guild with TeamSpeak or Ventrillo and vulgerise it to your hearts content.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Unsupportable

Unsupportable

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
Bo, your forgeting all of your constitution rights. 3rd graders have as much right to play UO as you do. No argument. End of story. Period.

Vulgarities in the game should not be tolerated. There is no excuse. I wouldn't sit in my office swearing and cussing every 5 minutes, so why do it at home, and why should you do it to people you don't even know.

If you wanna do that, I propose UO make a shard for over 21's only and call it "T0$$ER$ R US"

Because vulgar language should not be tolerated in such developed societies. Unless you want to go live with scum. Your simply degrading UOForums by suggesting such things as allowing Taboo language in game.
  • Vepl likes this
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
I guess I just feel that if you dont want to see these words, then apply the feature. I am not saying these words are totally cool and free to use, of course if it is said in a manner that offends someone, then they have right to say something. Words in passing I dont feel are a problem. Go to any school today, and sit in the lunch room or on the play ground, and listen to the stuff that comes out of these kids mouths. I didnt say that 3rd graders didnt have the right to play the game, I am saying we are not all 3rd graders. WoW has a great feature in it, where you can block the dirty words, and unclick it to allow them. I find it easier to understand someone talking to me with words instead of having $#@ in it, like " I just got my @## kicked by this spawn"

When you buy a CD, and it has some naughty words on it, do you prefer to get Walmart version with the beeps or listen to the CD without it, and be able to hear continuity in the lyrics even if they do have some bad words in it? You have a choice to buy either one. Kids arent supposed to buy them, thats why there is a sticker on it, if they do, then their parents need to buy it. I dont know how effective or strict this policy is, but it puts the decision in parent's hands.

Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Wycorp--Dwarf Hunter

• Members
  • 2,120 posts

Bo, your forgeting all of your constitution rights. 3rd graders have as much right to play UO as you do. No argument. End of story. Period.

Posted Image

TEEN
Titles rated T (Teen) have content that may be suitable for ages 13 and older. Titles in this category may contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood and/or infrequent use of strong language.

Aside from the 7 deadlies and racial slurs, Id call the rest strong language...

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: issue, nbdiscussess, sensitive, word