Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Newbie to UO

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

mfny

mfny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi all,

Was wondering if someone would be able to offer me some guidance as to what to pick from the premade "Profession" tab for a newbie player, or would I be better of with a custom one, and if so what should I pick ?

Confectious

Confectious

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Welcome to UO!  Have some cake.

It's a broad question, and whether you'd take one of those over a custom set up depends on what you want to do.  Warrior gives a good example of the classic warrior set up, though they can always take other skills later on if they like, such as chivalry or bushido, which compliment their melee abilities.  Mage is a little harder to set up without help in the form of a lowered reagent cost suit.  Necromancer is similar to mage in that they need reagents, but can wear heavier armor and have more to choose from in that area.  Paladins are much like warrior, except that you start out with chivalry and focus instead of healing and anatomy.  Blacksmiths leave you with good set up for a beginning crafter.  Remember you're not locked into any specific skillset, you can always change later on if you want to make adjustments or try something entirely different.

Again it all depends on circumstances and what you want to do with your character.  Are you starting out on a production shard, or Siege/mujen?  The rulesets are different, and worth checking out.  There's always good information on UOguide too if you want to look up stuff yourself.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be around soon to give better answers.  Welcome again.

mfny

mfny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Also which starter area is the best one ?

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

Without a doubt New Haven.  Which shard are you playing?

Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde

Ultima Online Devotee and site VIP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Try this: http://uo.com/wiki/u...-the-adventure/

Posted Image

mfny

mfny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Without a doubt New Haven.  Which shard are you playing?

Atlantic, even though I am from the UK.

Made a character, name is Leashya Kayn.

Ray

Ray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

I have always thought custom is the best way to go.  That way I can pick the hardest abilities to train, set them to 50, and set my STR to 60, and go from there.  Haven is by far the best place to start since it has the beginner quests for new characters and skill alacrity to 50.  I will tell you a neat tip though that might help in the future.  Pick custom, choose whatever, but make sure Inscription is set at 49.  Start in Haven and make your way to the inscription instructor.  It will be a quest to get Inscription to 50.  Use your starting materials to make Poison scrolls until 50, should be 5-9 of them, depending on the randomness of skillgains.  Turn in and receive a free Undead Slayer spellbook.  If you'd like a quick way to easily obtain a full Lower Reagent Suit with minimal effort even on a brand new server, I can add that here as well...It's not hard, but a kinda lengthy write-up, so if needed, I'll post it.