Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Just Noticed UO.COM

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Bawble

Bawble

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hello everyone. I just noticed Broadswords uo.com. I haven't really done any searches for UO in a couple of years. I used to play on private shards a few years back and all but gave up on an official UO ressurection. 

Anyway... there isn't much information on the main site. I'm not even sure if this forum pertains to Broadswords UO. So if it doesn't could someone please let me know. 

So I'm kind of confused about Broadswords... I'm assuming they are a private developement company who have taken up the UO and Camelot platforms? 

Not that it really matters to me. I'm just looking for a chance to play on an active server. Private shards die off very quickly. 

So I have a couple of questions if a kind soul would be so kind as to answer them; it would be much appreciated. 

First of all, I will state that UO has been my favorite game of all time and the reason I'm making this post is because I'm very excited to start a new life on a new server for the next decade or so. But here are some of my concerns.

Does Broadwords look like they're in it for the long haul? I'm not interrested in starting an account if the game comes to a halt in a couple of years. 

Are most of the servers now pretty active? 

Does the game (both clients) run smoothly and is are the servers up running smoothly?

I'm I too late to the party and is all the housing taken up? How many lots can a single account own? 

Do houses fall?

Do both clients run Fel and Tram? Is there any activity on Fel?

Bascially can I expect to start playing, find housing, develope community and be able to play for the next several years on well maintained clients?

If so sign me up! 

Thank you in advance. I'm really happy that someone has decided that UO is too good of a game to not be ressurected. 

OH and is there a monthly fee?

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

EOGamer Network PR ManagerEOGamer Network Community ManagerGodde

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts

Hey Bawbie, I'll try to answer these as best as I can.

So I'm kind of confused about Broadswords... I'm assuming they are a private developement company who have taken up the UO and Camelot platforms? 

Broadsword is an independent company that is running UO and DAOC. They are composed of the same developers that have been maintaining both games through EA for many years.

Does Broadwords look like they're in it for the long haul? I'm not interrested in starting an account if the game comes to a halt in a couple of years. 

Well, seeing as the game is nearing 20 years, next year is the 20th anniversary, and they've been making plans toward that celebration and patches for the future, I believe the answer is yes.

Are most of the servers now pretty active? 

No. Atlantic is the most active of the North American Shards followed by Great Lakes, Pacific, Catskills/Chesapeake and a few others.

Does the game (both clients) run smoothly and is are the servers up running smoothly?

Other than minor hiccups with internet connections or servers crashing due to a bad update or something, for the most part yes.

I'm I too late to the party and is all the housing taken up? How many lots can a single account own? 

Depends on the shard you play on. Some have a lot of housing, others have slim housing, but if you keep an eye on falling homes, you might get a chance to place one or buy one from another player once you have enough funds. One house on a production shard, one house on a shard like Siege/Izumo per account. You cannot have more than that. 

Do houses fall?

Yes. If your account is unpaid for 90 days, it will go into a decay cycle then fall. If you place another house, your house will eventually fall within a 5 day time period.

Do both clients run Fel and Tram? Is there any activity on Fel?

Yes and yes, depending on the shard.

Bascially can I expect to start playing, find housing, develope community and be able to play for the next several years on well maintained clients?

You may be able to find housing or earn up money to buy housing - all dependent on what shard you want to play on. If you play on Atlantic, most populous, chances of finding a housing spot to place is slim - you may find a spot for a small house, but not a large house. If you play on a slightly less populated shard, you will find more choices. If you play on a very unpopulated shard, like Origin, you'll find plenty of housing.  You should be able to find community folks to play with and play for several years.  Each client is patched regularly - I'd say at least bi-monthly if not monthly.

OH and is there a monthly fee?

Yes. 12.99 a month.

Bawble

Bawble

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I had thought that the original servers had went down at a certain point several years ago. I didn't realise that they had been running this whole time. I'm not sure why I stopped playing on the original servers. It was over a decade ago; I seem to remember that the game engine wasn't running very well and that it seemed like EA had pretty much stopped developing and updating the game. Again it was so long ago I don't remember. 

When did the EA Broadsword change occure?

Well, I'm excited to hear that there is an opportunity for me to play this game again on a client that is being maintained with a core community. This is one of the first MMO's that I played and now that I'm nearing 50, it's interresting that I'm coming back to it. 

Thank you for the comments. 

Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde

Ultima Online Devotee and site VIP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

hello. The development teams of UO and DAoC broke with EA and formed Broadsword February 2014. Although the games are still owned by EA Broadsword manages them.

At a guess I'd say you possible left at the launch of Age of Shadows, the servers collapsed several times under heavy loads as everyone tried to upgrade at once.

I have played continuously since late 2000 and my 50th birthday is but a distant memory. The uo.com site you referred to includes a player wiki of guides, this page may be of particular interest. http://uo.com/wiki/u...urning-players/

Posted Image

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

EOGamer Network PR ManagerEOGamer Network Community ManagerGodde

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts

All of what Petra Fyde said is correct (and she has a better memory than me on when Broadsword took over - i thought it was earlier).

Let us know if you have any other questions. And in answer to something you said earlier, yes, we are an official fansite for the game and do not support or allow posts regarding freeshards.

Bawble

Bawble

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Thank you both, I've been reading up more and yes, I now see the history on Wiki. I'm now trying to get a paid account going. I played a little last night on my free account and everything seems to be running well.