Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

BACK AT IT, FROM SCRATCH. HAVE QUESTIONS, NEED HELP !

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Mobidick

Mobidick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all, 

just got back at UO with a trial account. I know I will play more then the 14 days that comes with it. But, I am soooo rusty.

I dont want IG help as it will spoil my experience, I want to do it on my own just like I did back in the early days of UO. But, any help/recommendations is greatly appreciate.

Just to give you an idea, I do have fish steaks but just cant remember how to cook them.... LOL

Here are my questions: 

1- Which template should I start with that does not need gold investment, yeah Sampire look cool but since it is high end/gear dependent, that one will need to wait for some months..... 

2- Why not a caster (assuming melee for first char), any templates for a starter ? 

3- Mining, I need to go out there and mine also, been soooo long !!! (Template)

4- What other crafters do I need to be self sufficient ? 

5- dont even know what expansion comes with the trial, which one are left out that I would need to buy to get the full experience ? 

Thanx,
Mobidoy Querrent
Great Lakes

• DungHook likes this

DungHook

DungHook

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Can't help much;
only to say I'm in the same boat. Waiting all day for origin to send me my game code to reactivate an old account.

Now my favorite character template was/is my Miner, lumberjack, fisher. With 50 paladin to help me travel. Trained him old school all the way. That is I did not buy skill, started from 0.

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

Welcome back to you both.  First off, to cook fish steaks, get a cooking utensil (frying pan, rolling pin, flour sifter) and use this while standing near a heating source (Oven).  The cooking menu will pop up and you can do all your cooking from there.  It's different than it used to be!

The trial account enables you up through Mondain's Legacy, which means you can create elves, samurai, ninjas, and so on.  The three primary expansions out right now are:

Stygian Abyss - The most content, I'd recommend this one first.

High Seas - Let's you use the new big ships and hunt pirates

Time of Legends - The newest expansion, many of the shard regulars are out in the new lands doing the dragon turtle spawn and hunting the current quest beasts.  It sounds like they will continue to add new content to this land with future publishes, but it does somewhat demand a more established character.  Then again, you could follow after the rest of the shard and loot kills that go ignored.  Lots of items left on bodies.

If you upgrade to Stygian Abyss, you might want to make an imbuer.  This will let you enchant magical equipment for your characters.  It's very handy for making, say a lower reagent suit which you can then use on your casters.  They'll be able to cast without having to buy and carry reagents.  It's a huge help.  If you do this, you might also want to try training up a mystic.  Top tier mystics can cast Rising Colossus which is basically like Energy Vortexes on steroids.

Another route you can go if you have an imbuer is to create a newbie provoker or newbie tamer, then create +13 Provo or +13 Taming jewelry for them.  It will make them immediately much more effective and let you save up a nest egg.  Having Stygian Abyss will also give you access to bouras as a tamer, which are easy to tame and survive quite well.  Heck, your tamer can hand off lowland bouras to your characters who don't have taming.

If you are going to hold off on the expansions, then the plain mage is still very flexible.  ABC Archers are pretty popular too (Archery-Bushido-Chivalry).  

At any rate, I hope my post was coherent.  I'm running on little sleep today.  What shard do you both play?

• DungHook likes this

Mobidick

Mobidick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Yeah it does make sens, you can still play a couple hours before heading to bed lol !! Thanx for the expansions, I will look into them also.

I will read on Imbuer and look into an ABC....

I am on Great Lakes at the moment ! 

didoslab

didoslab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

i made a mage - mystic - thief for rares hunting.. that's so funny too. :) I can play some hours having great fun.

bradpolian

bradpolian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

I made 2 mules, one with tinkering, mining, carpentry, blacksmith and tailoring.  The other was a mage, imbuer, fletching, lumberjack, scribe and alchemist.  My combat characters I made a ABC archer and warrior as well as a tamer.  Think the tamer is my favorite

Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

One thing missing you can read up on,  Arms Lore.  It adds a free bonus to weapons and armor, be they wood metal leather or whatever.  Not saying you have to have it, just making you aware so you can check it out and decide for yourself.

Ray

Ray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

I know this is a bit late to the party, but...

I usually have 2 mules set up.  1 crafter mule and 1 gatherer mule.

120 Imbuing

120 Tailoring

120 Blacksmithing

100 tinkering

100 carpentry

100 arms lore

60 magery

I keep soul stones with Bow/fletch and switch out as needed, but if you don't care for archers, this isn't necessary.

100 mining

100 lumberjack

500 whatever

Eventually, you want to soul stone these and just use them on whatever character you want, but just starting out/back, it's fine to use a character just for these for now.

easiest template to use to farm low-mid items, for me, at least, is:

100 magery

100 med

100 focus

100 eval int

100 mystic

last 2 can be anything you want, examples:

100 necromancy

100 spirit speak

100 spellweaving  (a bit more advanced)

100 resist

100 scribe

100 resist

Getting a 100% LRC (lower reagent cost) suit should not be too difficult, especially if you made a 50 imbue/tailor or smith to start off with.

If you like, search other posts I've made on new characters or starting over on new servers and you will find a few posts on how to get some startup cash pretty quickly.

Great early farming once you can cast Blade Spirits is the Tomb of Kings on Ter Mur.  Just walk in, go to one of the braziers and say Ord/Anord and when the flame wall comes down, run to the last room, straight up the hallway and you will see some gargoyles and silver serpents.  Use Blade Spirits to clear it out and loot.  Wait for respawn and repeat.  You get tons of gold and magic items to use or unravel with your Imbuer.  Common to gain 80k-100k here in just a couple of hours.

Thing of note here:  You can get gargish rings/bracelets with 5% or 10% swing speed and no other attribues on them.  These are fantastic pieces to Imbue and players will often pay hefty amounts for them.