Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

where to build a house

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Nemo171p

Nemo171p

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I have a house placement tool, but everywhere I try I get "Housing cannot be created in this area". Their is a whole island close to luna on the Atlantic Shard with no houses, I figure there is room for at least 20 houses. Yet I am not allowed to place a house. what is up with this.  I have found out that if I want to pay around 50 mill there are homes for sell.  What is the deal?

Attached Thumbnails

• house7.png

• Nemo171p likes this

I'm not Sick, I'm Twisted. Sick makes sound like there is a Cure

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,647 posts

Are you on a trial account?  If so, you won't be able to place until you subscribe.

Nemo171p

Nemo171p

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Not a Trial. but is less than 1 Month

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,647 posts

So long as you are subscribed, you should be fine.  Atlantic is the busiest shard with the least housing space and there are areas where you just aren't permitted to place housing.  This is more common in the newer lands because they wanted areas to hunt which were uncluttered by housing.  Trammel and Felucca probably have the least restrictions so try starting with a 7x7 and see if you can at least get something placed.  You don't even have to commit to it, just see if you can get the plot down to where it asks you to confirm to place it.  Also, which client are you using?  If you are using the 2d client, I suggest putting your play window in the very upper left cover of the screen.  If you have it moved, it messes with house placement a bit.

Nemo171p

Nemo171p

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Island I found is empty, no houses no monsters, but I will try 2d client

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

EOGamer Network PR ManagerEOGamer Network Community ManagerGodde

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts

The ground looks uneven, but I could be wrong. I can check a few places for housing later tonight as I do have a house on atlantic myself

Nemo171p

Nemo171p

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

was Just on the Test Center shard and Built a house. Is this a shard I can permanently stay on or did I just loose the house build money?

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts

You are "given" free money on Test CEnter. You do not get to keep the house as the shard is periodically wiped. I would not play there regularly.

What time zone are you in? If you are looking for a low populated shard, I recommend Origin. I play there. If you are looking for higher population, Atlantic, but finding a place to place a house is going to be difficult.

Nemo171p

Nemo171p

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

That is what I thought about the shard getting wiped. I am glad to know that  my money was not lost. I thank you for all of you time and information.

May we get what we want,
May we get what we need,
But may we never get what we deserve.
-Cedric 

Nemo171p

Nemo171p

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

How do I transfer my characters to a different shard?

Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde

Ultima Online Devotee and site VIP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

transfering characters is expensive, is done with a transfer token from Origin store and you would need a token for each character. If you've been playing less than a month it would probably be easier to start new ones on the second shard.

Shard selection should be based on 'ping' and 'playability'. For example, I am English so I play on Europa, a shard physically based in Europe. I could feasibly play on US East coast shards, the ping wouldn't be too bad. However Eastern US is 5 time zones away from UK. Prime time for playing is roughly 7pm - 10pm. When it's that time in Eastern US it's midnight to 3am for me - so my chances of finding anyone to interact with at the time I want to play are slim.

East coast shards are Atlantic - the busiest. Lots of people to play with, but as you have found, difficult to place a house. Best chance there is an out of the way spot in Felucca. Much of Malas (which is where you were trying to place, near Luna) is restricted for housing. There are a few house spots on Tokuno, especially Makoto-jima and some in Ter Mur, but Ter Mur houses have a qualifying requirement of 15k loyalty points to the gargoyle queen.

Other East coast shards are Catskills, Chesapeake, Great Lakes, Lake Superior and Legends. Legends is the emptiest.

Origin is a west coast shard, and therefore 3 hours behind east coast shards. Other west coast shards are Baja, Lake Austin, Napa Valley, Pacific and Sonoma.  Origin is also used as a 'first live' shard for new publishes. A stepping stone between test center and world wide release.

Posted Image

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts

How do I transfer my characters to a different shard?

If your characters are on test, you can't transfer them as they aren't permanent. If you have characters on other servers you can pay a fee for a token to transfer them to a different server, though if you just started, it's easier to just start over.

Nemo171p

Nemo171p

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

As I live on the East Coast, does playing on Origin Shard cause any problem with Lag and this ping and playability?

Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde

Ultima Online Devotee and site VIP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

That would depend on your internet connection and your life style. Obviously if the signal is travelling further it takes it longer - even if it's only micro seconds.

For playability, when it's 8pm for the Pacific players it's 11pm for you, conversely when it's 8pm for you, it's only 5pm for West coast people. Would this cause a problem finding people to play with?

There's no restriction on how many shards you play, though you can only have a house on one of them. If I were in your position I would try Catskills, Chesapeake, Great Lakes or Lake Superior.

You could try a ping test to the origin server. The ip address is 54.241.143.221 and this page will tell you how to ping it, if you don't have that knowledge: https://iihelp.iinet...ping_test#toc_1

Posted Image

Neptune

Neptune

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

The ground has to be flat to place a house.  If you choose a small house or plot you can move it around and if the edges get distorted you can tell that the ground is not flat.  There are some areas in Malas you just cant place.  If it looks too good to be true it is.

Also you have to leave some space all around the house with no large trees or bushes in the way.  Small bushes and logs you can often place over.  You need extra space in the front.

I play on Atlantic and there are many hundreds of spots that can fit a small tower just in Trammel.  Just follow the coastline.  It should take you less than 30 minutes to find a Villa spot.  I placed a max storage 15x17 on fire island after being back for a month.  Felucca will be even easier, Malas will be the hardest.  Tokuno will have dangerous spawn. 

The other shards are a wasteland, don't choose an unpopulated shard with a terrible economy just because you think you cant place a house on Atlantic.

Here you go - I haven't played in a few days but there was a villa spot two screens from the Yew bank behind a row of existing houses that's been empty for the month or so I've been back.

Nemo171p

Nemo171p

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I transferred to the Chesapeake Shard and was able to place a 18x18 with absolutely no problem. the I just think it is a shame that you have all the land on the islands near Luma that are restricted from housing.