Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Noone can help me, seems so simple...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

RetronX

RetronX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I'm using the official Enhanced client to play Ultima Online and noone can see to tell me how to make it where skill gain notification doesn't show up in my chat window. I can't read what people are saying in chat cause I am constantly being spammed when I am gaining skills and I see no tab to uncheck this channel.

It seems the only people that tried to help are apparently saying go to options and turn off skill notifications which isn't an option so I must assume they are not using the Enhanced client.

Please, this is a huge annoyance and I wouldn't think a community that has been around this long could be so unknowing of something that should obviously be a simple fix. Would be a shame that something this simple would turn people away from playing and seems like a huge oversight that this has obviously been made so complicated.

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

I play 2d client and I know there definitely is an easy fix for this in the options window.  I'm not at all familiar with the enhanced client but one of the things that often gets overlooked with the 2d options window is you can scroll down in those windows to get more options.  See if the same is true for Enhanced.  Also, in 2d, it is the "Inform me when my skills improve this much (In tenths).  You'd just set it to zero to not get skill notifications via a slider bar.  Hopefully you can find something similar in enhanced.

• RetronX likes this

Arkhan

Arkhan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

I couldn't find a way to disable it in the Enhanced Client, either.    I looked in the chat window settings file, and settings file generated for each player also.   No dice.  

I could see how this would be irritating for a brand new player.   Old players barely see skill gains anymore, or are powerskilling through things and aren't even caring about chats.    

I want to point out though, that you are exactly who I am talking about in this thread:

http://www.uoforums....g-for-feedback/

I feel bad for you, simply because I do not know if you, and others like you, are properly considered when they do things to the Enhanced Client, which is obviously what a new player is going to try.    No new player in their right mind is going to see the Classic Client and go "dang, that looks great.  Let me run that instead of the one that looks like it's not from 1998."

They have the means to attract a lot of new players with this client, but really need to focus on these seemingly mundane little bits for you all.

The Enhanced Client is great for people who are used to UO, and kind of goofy at times for new players.

• RetronX likes this

RetronX

RetronX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I play 2d client and I know there definitely is an easy fix for this in the options window.  I'm not at all familiar with the enhanced client but one of the things that often gets overlooked with the 2d options window is you can scroll down in those windows to get more options.  See if the same is true for Enhanced.  Also, in 2d, it is the "Inform me when my skills improve this much (In tenths).  You'd just set it to zero to not get skill notifications via a slider bar.  Hopefully you can find something similar in enhanced.

Yes, this is the same as was suggested in-game and is much appreciated, trouble is I have problems with the old client as far as resolution scaling is concerned which cuts off parts of the screen and text  is very hard to read on the setup I use and get everything modded just right along with just overall not very modern UI and is not something I feel like tinkering with just simply to get it to run like it should.  I'm currently having no issues with the Enhanced Client other than this small problem which seems to have been overlooked and/or omitted for some odd reason. I actually love and prefer the Enhanced Client and honestly wouldn't even have gotten this far had it not been for it, loving it so far, minus this issue as none of the options you mentioned that are in the old client are here.

I couldn't find a way to disable it in the Enhanced Client, either.    I looked in the chat window settings file, and settings file generated for each player also.   No dice.  

I could see how this would be irritating for a brand new player.   Old players barely see skill gains anymore, or are powerskilling through things and aren't even caring about chats.    

I want to point out though, that you are exactly who I am talking about in this thread:

http://www.uoforums....g-for-feedback/

I feel bad for you, simply because I do not know if you, and others like you, are properly considered when they do things to the Enhanced Client, which is obviously what a new player is going to try.    No new player in their right mind is going to see the Classic Client and go "dang, that looks great.  Let me run that instead of the one that looks like it's not from 1998."

They have the means to attract a lot of new players with this client, but really need to focus on these seemingly mundane little bits for you all.

The Enhanced Client is great for people who are used to UO, and kind of goofy at times for new players.

What a fantastic post!! I have in general gotten some great responses both in-game and here and so far the UO community seems like a very intellectual and well versed bunch!

If nothing else I can trudge on through these issues just with the fact of knowing and you have helped to ease my woes, but yes it really sucks to not be able to read what people are saying and get to know the community cause you constantly have skill dialogue popping up on chat, it is quite distressing and makes me lose immersion very quickly and the fact that I will miss so much interaction "unless I stand still" is quite off putting and upsetting.

I really fancy the Enhanced Client and the other client just isn't an option for me for various reasons that far outweigh this issue personally. I will continue to level my skills as I realize that will lessen the spam I see so I can interact with people, but this is obviously a very hurtful issue to many people possibly interested in getting into UO for the first time and it's good to see people such as yourself trying to make a difference and yes, small things such as this have huge impacts on the experience and the very basics of communication.

I'll try and keep going, maybe even "possibly...=/" tinker around with the old client cause of this issue alone cause I really hate to feel like I am isolated when the reason I play an MMORPG is to communicate with other people, hope they get this fixed sometime in the near future cause i'm not sure how long I will be able to grind just to get rid of skill notifications before getting burnt out from a lack of immersion cause of lack of communication.

Arkhan

Arkhan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

The problem is, the new chat system has caused people to ditch bank-sitting.   You used to have to sit there and read overhead text to talk.  It's basically like a refined version of Ultima VIII.  Banks were always crowded and full of activity.   

With the new chat system, you can just talk without doing that.   So, it's ghost-town style.

But... they put the skill gains in the same window as chats.   You could actually turn off skill-notifications completely in the classic client.    But, it never mattered before, because chatting never went over there.

You also can't really filter out combat dialog.  You should see the message in my chat window when I go do champion spawns.   It's pretty doofy.

These things should be addressed.  If you create a separate tab, it still prints System messages.   It'd be great if you could have the default System tab filtered to show nothing but System messages, and then you just create a new tab that ONLY shows chatter. 

The classic client is basically shot.    That game window can't resize.   It's stuck forever at 800x600, unless I am missing something.    As screen resolutions grow, that window will shrink.

It's barely playable.   Not because it's bad, but because you can't see what you're doing.

If it were able to be resized, I'd probably still use the classic client.   

The game is worth trudging through the starting curve.    Invite friends.    The game really does need more people.

• RetronX likes this

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

EOGamer Network PR ManagerEOGamer Network Community ManagerGodde

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts

I don't use Enhanced Client, but you may look into Pinco's UI, which is an approved addition, for the Enhanced Client. It may offer options that you don't have in the Enhanced Client natively.

• sablestorm and RetronX like this

RetronX

RetronX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I don't use Enhanced Client, but you may look into Pinco's UI, which is an approved addition, for the Enhanced Client. It may offer options that you don't have in the Enhanced Client natively.

This worked, it added a "system" tab to all chat tabs so you can select which tabs you want to see system messages on and which you don't as well as other additional channel options for each individual tab.

Seems so ridiculous that they couldn't simply add this option to the default game "being able to uncheck system messages on individual chat tabs", regardless this UI looks great in many other ways so thank you for suggesting it and it is working perfectly now.

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts

Glad that worked! Let us know if you have any other questions!

Arkhan

Arkhan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Like 4 years ago, I said Pinco's UI should just be the default UI.

I kind of think that more than ever now... 

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts

Pinco did some work to modify the current UI for EA, but he had to do what they wanted so his UI is a nice addition to it.